login
FAS has upgraded our forum security. Some members may need to log in again. If you are unable to remember your login information, please email food.allergy.supt@flash.net and we will help you get back in. Thanks for your patience!

Author Topic: Seeking official accommodations via the College Board (SAT/PSAT/AP)  (Read 31249 times)

Description: (clearinghouse and step-by-step)

Offline CMdeux

• Global Moderator
  • -- but sometimes the voices have good ideas!
They have to, Mac-- because the nature of the disability is such that he has to have the ability to stop the clock to evaluate symptoms, right?

Same with T1D-- "clocks stopped, breaks as needed."  It mean (de facto ) individual testing.

Resistance isn't futile.  It's voltage divided by current. 

Western U.S.

Offline Macabre

• Global Moderator
  • Don't Blink!
But you know, I didn't request the clocks stopped thing. I thought about it, but he said he wanted to be in a room with others.

He is not testing at his school--actually testing where we lived last year because it was the closest by the time he registered. But if he takes it again and at his HS, he really, really won't want to be singled out like this.

I think it would be interesting to take it solo. But then I wonder if he can decline an accommodation.
Me: Sesame, shellfish, chamomile, sage
DS: Peanuts

Offline daisy madness

How is he feeling about these accommodations?  Is he ok with this?  If not, does the paper say anything about an appeal? 

Offline Macabre

• Global Moderator
  • Don't Blink!
He doesn't want to take it separately. It says is we have questions to call a number, but I didn't have time today at work, so I'll try Tuesday. 

Offline Macabre

• Global Moderator
  • Don't Blink!
Bumping for myself.

Offline CMdeux

• Global Moderator
Good luck-- but bear in mind, too, that if he is at risk for a medical emergency while testing, this could serve to be a "testing irregularity" for the other students in the room, too.

That's the (additional) reason for individual testing-- because it doesn't place any risk on other testing students.  Irregularities can invalidate an exam.  Unfortunately. With the PSAT, that may outweigh his desire to not be singled out, I'm afraid.  Those and the AP exams are one-time deals-- not like the SAT where you can just take it on the next available date.  KWIM?

Western U.S.

Offline Macabre

• Global Moderator
  • Don't Blink!
Good point. 

He ended up liking the individual testing for the ACT.  He finished early overall and got to go to the bathroom when he needed.  :)

I need to start the paperwork for the SAT and the PSAT. The SAT will be first.

Offline CMdeux

• Global Moderator
Oddly, DD preferred testing in a group setting!!  When she took the ACT there wasn't time to apply for accommodations, and she wound up doing slightly better on all the sections except writing.  Go figure, right?? 

We just didn't tell anyone, and because they didn't know her at the testing site, it was fine.  Nobody questioned it, and the proctor was fine with her having her meds UNDER her seat, and not in the pile of everyone else's junk at the side of the room.  (We didn't want her epipens there since there was likely nut residue on at least some coats, backpacks, etc.)

Western U.S.

Offline Macabre

• Global Moderator
  • Don't Blink!
Re: Seeking official accommodations via the College Board (SAT/PSAT/AP)
« Reply #68 on: August 19, 2014, 09:33:14 PM »
bump

Offline maeve

PSAT Accommodations
« Reply #69 on: September 03, 2014, 11:17:26 AM »
I have to sign DD up for the PSAT ASAP.  I was put in touch with the special ed coordinator at her school through a grade-level special ed teacher who attended her 504 meeting last week. 

What accommodations did those of you whose kids have taken it request? At the very least, I would like a food free room and for the phone and EpiPens to be in the room (even if they're left with the proctor).
"Oh, I'm such an unholy mess of a girl."

USA-Virginia
DD allergic to peanuts, tree nuts, and egg; OAS to cantaloupe and cucumber

Offline CMdeux

• Global Moderator
Re: PSAT Accommodations
« Reply #70 on: September 03, 2014, 11:23:23 AM »
I know that we have a thread about this-- it's a process, applying for accommodations with College Board.

"Food free room" isn't one of the options, btw-- so don't even try for that one, because it'll just get kicked back to you. You'll have to work that one out with the local administering agency/people at the test site.

The ONLY standard accommodation that they will grant is "clocks stopped breaks as needed" and "meds in room."  NO phone.  DD gave hers to her proctor and I sat outside the room when she took it.

This will mean individual testing-- it's a de facto conclusion since "clocks stopped as needed" is idiosyncratic and individual.

Western U.S.

Offline maeve

« Reply #71 on: September 03, 2014, 11:26:24 AM »
Hmm.  Sitting outside the room could be problematic as the test is being administered during the week at the HS closest to our house. I work so that could be an issue.
"Oh, I'm such an unholy mess of a girl."

USA-Virginia
DD allergic to peanuts, tree nuts, and egg; OAS to cantaloupe and cucumber

Offline CMdeux

• Global Moderator
« Reply #72 on: September 03, 2014, 11:26:37 AM »
College Board and accommodations?: has anyone gone through this process?

If you hunt, there are pretty good guidelines on support boards for seizure disorders and diabetes-- the other conditions for which similar accommodations re: the environment and medical care seem to most closely align.  It's VERY frustrating to not be able to just ask for what is actually necessary, and be stuck asking instead for stuff that shouldn't be needed if you COULD just ask for what matters, if that makes sense.

Western U.S.

Offline CMdeux

• Global Moderator
« Reply #73 on: September 03, 2014, 11:28:13 AM »
It takes about 3mo to run through the official process with CB.  If she's taking it in October, that ship will have sailed already-- the choices will be:  a) take your chances and do it as-is, b) hope to negotiate 'no-food' with test site personnel on the day, or c) skip it.

Western U.S.

Offline CMdeux

• Global Moderator
« Reply #74 on: September 03, 2014, 11:48:39 AM »
If ANYTHING were ever a CLEAR, CLEAR reason to get a 504 plan in place no matter how well things are covered by school policy, though, this is it.  One of the easiest ways to be denied by the College Board is to have no 504 plan, or one that has been active less than a year.

I just hope that spurs someone to act while their child is still in elementary-- this stuff really matters later on in terms of history of documented accommodations and longevity of official qualification under 504.   :yes:  It will matter in college, too.

Just feel the need to put this one front.and.center again.   :yes:

Western U.S.