FAS has upgraded our forum security. Some members may need to log in again. If you are unable to remember your login information, please email food.allergy.supt@flash.net and we will help you get back in. Thanks for your patience!

Author Topic: Reaction on vacation  (Read 2956 times)

Description: Continued issues or stomach bug

Offline YouKnowWho

Reaction on vacation
« on: April 09, 2012, 08:00:23 AM »
So I have a love/hate relationship with Outback.  For years, we have heard how wonderful they were with allergies.  So wonderful that they refused to serve DS1 because they couldn't do it safely (locally).  Fine, tell me that and we can move on.  But our local Outback got a new manager, DS1 dropped several allergies and we found that it's actually a great option for him.

I want to add that DS1 has been eating salads at home and out and about lately.  And he has become more adventurous in his food choices.  So we arrived in Clarkesville, TN and found the Outback.  He wanted to try the salad, steak and sweet potato.  So we got the GF menu which listed which dressings were not safe and asked to see an allergy chart for egg for the dressings.  Our waitress sent out the manager who explained which dressings were safe - the list included honey mustard.  Well more times than not, honey mustard dressings are safe and while we do avoid shared lines for gluten we don't do so for egg (per our allergist and DS1's reaction history). 

Salad arrives with dressing on the side and DS1 loved it.  Woo hoo.  But then I saw the look.  The eyes opening wide, blinking, the nose rubbing.  I can't explain it and maybe others know what I am speaking of, but I knew 1000% he was having a reaction.  Give him Benadryl, DH is googling the local hospital ER, wait and see.  I flag down the manager and ask again about the ingredients for the dressing.  "Oh it just has three ingredients - mayo.."  Oh shee-it.  Okay not censored and outloud in front of the kids.  Into the bathroom we go and check for more hives.  Small ones starting on his face, but rest of the body is clear.  Breathing clear, swallowing fine - gave another dose of Bendaryl. 

Hindsight is 20/20 and damn straight, I should have epi'ed.  At home?  I probably would have - on the road, unclear symptoms, strange ER.  Stupid reasons.  Please don't rip me a new one.  I know what I should have done and I didn't.  I have guilt over that but more over not being more firm is asking to see an allergy list or ask ingredients.  And even more guilt over the fact that mentally it set him back in being adventurous in food choices  :disappointed:

DS1 was fine that night and most of the next day.  We stopped for a snack in the afternoon and DS complained of a headache.  By the time we made it to the hotel, he had a fever (high for him).  And then he had what most people would consider a stomach bug.  Diahreah, vomiting, fever, malaise.  We honestly kept waiting for the rest of us to get it and debated about leaving after the first day but feared it would hit us on the road.  But no one else got it (though DH and I did have some bathroom issues but honestly not eating as healthy and traveling potty issues could have contributed). 

Which leaves me wondering if this was a biphasic reaction, a lowered immunity due to reaction bug or something else altogether... Thoughts?
DS1 - Wheat, rye, barley and egg
DS2 - peanuts
DD -  tree nuts, soy and sunflower
Me - bananas, eggplant, many drugs
Southeast USA

Offline rebekahc

• Global Moderator
Re: Reaction on vacation
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2012, 09:03:29 AM »
Poor DS!  :-[

My gut would be to say that it was some kind of bug since he was fine the rest of the night and most of the next day.  That would be a really, really long time for a biphasic reaction to hit.  He was probably tired from traveling and then add the reaction on top of that and it was the perfect recipe for him to catch something (or not fight off something he was already exposed to).
TX - USA
DS - peanut, tree nut, milk, eggs, corn, soy, several meds, many environmentals. Finally back on Xolair!
DD - mystery anaphylaxis, shellfish.
DH - banana/avocado, aspirin.  Asthma.
Me - peanut, tree nut, shellfish, banana/avocado/latex,  some meds.

Offline Macabre

• Global Moderator
  • Don't Blink!
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2012, 09:21:52 AM »
Oh wow. Nothing but hugs here. :heart;
Me: Sesame, shellfish, chamomile, sage
DS: Peanuts

Offline YouKnowWho

« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2012, 09:44:32 AM »
Did I mention the manager kept telling us about her shellfish allergy.  Ugh, then you are supposed to understand why I want to see an allergy chart or ingredients.

DS1 seemed off in the morning after the reaction.  We didn't sleep well thanks to hard as rock beds and being next to a drive thru (would you like fries with that?) but I just attributed it to poor sleep and Benadryl hangover.  Thinking back, I cannot remember if DS had an additional dose on Benadryl that morning or not.  He did eat well that morning but I could see the decline throughout the day.  It was very hot that afternoon but yet DS1 was chilled (no fever according to mommy touch).  But at the same time, DS1 has little body fat and it's not unusual for him to be chilled when I am sweating.
DS1 - Wheat, rye, barley and egg
DS2 - peanuts
DD -  tree nuts, soy and sunflower
Me - bananas, eggplant, many drugs
Southeast USA

Offline MandCmama

« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2012, 10:58:54 AM »
 :heart: crappy situation! Crappy allergies! Hope he 's doing better!
Pennsylvania, USA
DS#1 (Born 11/2006)- allergic to peanuts and tree nuts
DS#2 (Born 3/2009)- allergic to egg, peanuts, and tree nuts (and Penicillin as of ‘18)

Offline CMdeux

• Global Moderator
  • -- but sometimes the voices have good ideas!
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2012, 11:07:06 AM »
UGhhh.... So sorry.   :grouphug:

My gut also says probably it was a bug... that pounced on HIM perferentially in the wake of a reaction. 

Timing seems really perfect for that, and it fits with the fact that none of the late symptoms were overtly "allergic" (and differentiably so, mind).

Hope that everyone is feeling better today.   :heart:
Resistance isn't futile.  It's voltage divided by current. 

Western U.S.