Successful School Trip

Started by SilverLining, April 16, 2012, 03:21:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SilverLining

Mostly, I'm happy with how my son's school deals with his epi-pen.  But once in awhile, things don't go so smooth.

He was heading to Ottawa for three days.  When I filled out the permission form, I ncluded a letter advising that I wanted his spar epi-pen from the office to go on the trip.  I was willing to have my son carry it, but would prefer a teacher be responsible for it.  My reasoning was, if he forgot his in the hotel, the teacher would sstill have one.

No call back.

I sent a note the day before the trip....but my son forgot to hand it in. 

The morning of the trip, he went to a teacher.  The teacher said he'd get the epi-pen for him.  Then I heard nothing else until I was picking my son up when they got back.

The principal came to me and asked me to remember to send the spare epi back on Monday.  But then....when I spoke to my son, he didn't have it.  So, this morning I called the office and left a message to check if the spare epi has been returned and if it's not there speak to Mr. X then call me back.  She did call me back, and the epi was returned already.

So, in the end...both epi's went.  DS carried one and he knew which teacher had the other, so all was as I wanted it.  But, it sure would have been nice if they would have communicated with me a bit more.

Sometimes I feel like I'm the only parent there that ever worries about allergies.

CMdeux

... and then you come visit here, right?   ;D

I'm glad that it went so well.  I've found a number of things quite exasperating at the high school level re: communication from the school.  They mostly... don't.  At least not with anyone but the student.  Which I guess is fair, given that they are expected to be taking on a more active role in things at this stage. 

But I'd like to know that I can stop worrying, sometimes.   :hiding:
Resistance isn't futile.  It's voltage divided by current. 

Western U.S.

momma2boys

Glad it went well!  Maybe next time you can have ds ask to see it before he gets on the bus?
peanut, treenut, sesame
Northeast, US

momma2boys

peanut, treenut, sesame
Northeast, US

SilverLining

Next year....new school.

I spent three years training this school.  And they are better now then they were before...I mean the epi DID go this time.

I don't think they even have written protocol.  When I questioned about it, they said they have Sabrina's Law.  But, Sabrina's Law says they need a written protocol for the school.  I did give the principal a bit of a lesson about Sabrina's Law, and it must have helped.  She's much more co-operative.

Mfamom

The thing is that they act like we're helicopter parents sometimes when all we want is to confirm and plan for things like this!!  I am happy it worked out, but they sometimes dont realize how much communicating with helps thing go smoothly, helps ensure nothing is overlooked.  They don't realize how much anxiety can stir up when our kids are attending field trips etc. 

I feel some anxiety coming as kids are going to another state for 3 days soon.  I have asked my ds to make an appt with his guidance counselor and his 504 leader to gather some information about food on the trip. 
I think it is good for him to initiate some of these communications (Of course I will help him) but I want him to have more ownership of working this stuff out.
When People Show You Who They Are, Believe Them.  The First Time.

Committee Member Hermes

SilverLining

Exactly.  And I didn't have to worry about food. 

Actually, for this trip, we were told in advance where they would be eating and who would be responsible to ensuring safety for dietary needs...but that was the tour company, not the school.

At least this time, the principal didn't act like y request had been unreasonable.  I think I may have paved the way a bit for the next parent.

There are two kids that I know in his grade that have pa.  Both have been responsible to decide for themselves what food is/is not safe for them to eat since jr. kndergarten.  Both eat may contains and neither carry an epi-pen.  So....compared to them I am "over-the-top".  And I'm not trying to tell them how to raise their own kids, and I'm not trying to tell the school how to treat those kids.

But keep mine safe.  I provide the necessary tools.

Quick Reply

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 365 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name:
Email:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image

Type the letters shown in the picture:
Please spell spammer backwards:
Three blonde, blue-eyed siblings are named Suzy, Jack and Bill.  What color hair does the sister have?:
Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview