Travel in Middle East

Started by TheMagicOtter, April 21, 2012, 03:18:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheMagicOtter

I want to take my family to visit Amman, Jordan, this summer, but I have no idea about the recognition of PA/TNA in that part of the world; a friend and a local has suggested that Jordanians don't know anything about food allergies, but I didn't know anything about them pre-diagnosis, so I don't know if I should believe him. We hope to fly EgyptAir, with a layover in Cairo. I did notice that there's a Safeway grocery store near the airport in Amman, which gives me hope that we'd be able to find US or EU food with reliable labeling. Does anybody here have any experience or advice for Jordanian or Middle-Eastern travel in general?

x

I have been to Egypt and know many people from the ME.  I would say that, in general, there is not a good level
of FA awareness there.  I think you are on the right track in trying to find US or EU food, and hopefully, you will have
access to a kitchen where you can cook most of the food yourself.

nameless

Do you speak the local language(s)?

If not, you'll want to have some very detailed cards to bring (with English translation) to help you ask about ingredients and foods. That's something I found comfort with in Germany - having the text printed out and translated into German by a fluent friend.

You'll also of course want to look up different phrases for allergens. Like - in Germany on German packaging for foods...there was a phrase that translated as "shell fruit" which meant "tree nuts".

Adrienne
40+ years dealing with:
Allergies: peanut, most treenuts, shrimp
New England

Quick Reply

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 365 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name:
Email:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image

Type the letters shown in the picture:
Three blonde, blue-eyed siblings are named Suzy, Jack and Bill.  What color hair does the sister have?:
Please spell spammer backwards:
Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview