At your child's school, are you allowed to request a teacher?

Started by hezzier, April 27, 2012, 09:47:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

hezzier

Just curious on how other schools do this...

I just had a meeting with the principal to voice my concerns about DS's placement for next year (2nd grade).  There are two good teacher and two not so good.  We are not allowed to request a teacher, but you can request to NOT have a teacher.  Until today, I have let things ride. 

I went in with my concerns from an allergy stand point.  That I need a teacher for DS who is organized enough to give me advanced notice of a food project (yes, I know), who is willing to communicate with me whether they like me/DS or not (I've heard some stories) and who is willing to take no for an answer if something is unsafe.

At the beginning of the conversation she asked me not to say who I wanted for DS which was fine.  I hold her I wouldn't say the names of who I didn't want either.  So I just told her what I needed in a teacher.  She wrote it down and said she can make it a good year...yippee!  Now I just have to wait until August to find out who he'll have.

Mookie86

The school gives all parents the opportunity to describe factors to be considered when selecting your child's teacher.  I cannot request to have or not have a teacher. 

Most parents don't submit anything, but I always submit a 1/2 to 1 page letter.

momtoAidenDeclan

I've never requested a teacher - haven't needed to....until this (coming) year.  And it's for my non-allergic child.  There is one teacher that, for as nice as she is, is a organizational nightmare and is food crazy in her room, which I'm against on principle, even tho' this is my non-allergic child. 
DS#2 is enough of a hot mess and needs a firm hand and organization around him to help him do his best ~ ADD has crossed our minds with this one - he has such a difficult time remembering anything and doing independent work. 
I don't think the request going to be a problem - I've let the counselor know who we want and she knows why w/o me telling her. ;)
Never mistake motion for action. ~~
Ernest Hemingway

DS#1 1/23/2000 - PA
DS#2 10/23/2003 - NKA - Type 1 diabetes
me - environmental and sulfa drug allergies...periods of mystery hives over the years....

notnutty

We can't request a specific teacher here, but the principal knows that having a good teacher with regard to LTFA will make HIS life easier too.

In elementary my DS's IEP meeting was in the spring and I always made a statement about needing a teacher who can work with me, is a good communicator, and is understanding and flexible.  This year (5th) was the first year that the teacher was not a good fit...at all.

I can't wait until summer and starting fresh next year.

Scout

well officially no......BUT yes if  you are a PTA mom or spend alot of time there...yes

I have already been asked who I want for dd next year.........I just told them whomever they think is the best fit, the least partying (less I have to do) and so on.

Oh and not the teacher that the group of 5 or 6 pta kids will be in, moms are my friends (not close) and I know that brings alot of extra stuff Idont want dd involvrd in....and those kids are always in the same class......lol

I never outright say a name...I am too afraid of Karma and if I ask for one particular and officially skirt the rules it will backfire, funny huh
her teacher loves her and will place her well.....my 504 is followed very well...I am very lucky

Mfamom

in elem school, they did not want parents requesting teachers.  They would listen if you had input on what you thought your child needed etc.
I never asked for a particular teacher and was happy with the placements all through elem. school. 

I did highly suggest that they give ds a math teacher most unlike his 7th grade one. 
When People Show You Who They Are, Believe Them.  The First Time.

Committee Member Hermes

TabiCat

They still allow requesting here (for now) at elementary. I have not done so and twice regretted it where DD is concerned. For DS given certain circumstances (non FA related). The right personality and skill set fit is accentual so his placement is determined by the IEP team (or ARD team as we call it here). Kinder was a NIGHTMARE for him and he had a good well respected experienced teacher but the FIT was bad. This year is like night and day.   
Ds - Peanut and Tree nut and a  host of enviro

Texas

Mfamom

I sort of feel like the teachers do a good job matching the kids with personalities of the teachers in the next grade.  I think sometimes parents intervene too much (even though they are asked not to).  All ds teachers were good fits for him.
The thing I've noticed now that we're in 8th grade is school emphasizing to parents to refrain from asking for their child's placements to be changed for high school.  apparently, many parents want their kids in AP classes no matter what.  My ds in 2 ap classes, two CP classes.  I'll trust they have placed him correctly for now.
When People Show You Who They Are, Believe Them.  The First Time.

Committee Member Hermes

becca

No requests here.  But they will hear you on reasons why there migh tneed ot be some special considerations with placement, like friend problems, bullying(which is not tolerated anyway), and such.  But not requestiing specific teachers.  They did place dd very well last year(5th) after a difficult 4th.  I had asked she have a teacher that would be very clear and structured for her.  It was a wonderful year.  best ever.  This year, a bit disorganized, but dd has matured and coped with it. 
dd with peanut, tree nut and raw egg allergy

Quick Reply

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 365 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name:
Email:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image

Type the letters shown in the picture:
Three blonde, blue-eyed siblings are named Suzy, Jack and Bill.  What color hair does the sister have?:
Please spell spammer backwards:
Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview