North Conway NH

Started by QsMommy, May 02, 2012, 01:14:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

QsMommy

We will are driving from Canada to the U.S. this summer to hike.  We plan to stay in North Conway NH for a week.

Is anyone familiar with the restaurants there? 

We are dealing with peanut and tree nut allergy.

Also, and I know everyone has different comfort zones, what food companies are trusted? Kellogg's, Post, Kraft, breads etc....  I am not familiar with the labelling in the U.S.

TIA

Ali
Canada

RaquelSA

Though my husband is from NH, I do not know restaurants to recommend. I can suggest US brands that are good for PN/TN and I am very particular. I trust the labeling on General Mills, Quaker Hearts is a safe breakfast alternative to Cheerios, Nabisco reg. Oreos, Chips Ahoy are fine. Pop Secret for popcorn and Rolled Gold for pretzels. I do Ruffles, Lays, etc. Be careful as Kit Kat, etc in the states is not safe like in Canada. You will find some Dare products in the stores for crackers and cookies. Enjoy Life is around everywhere and free of top 8. If you want some chain restaurants, let me know. Enjoy your trip!

QsMommy

Hi RaquelSA

Thanks for you reply.

A list of chain restaurants would be helpful, please.

Thanks

Ali
Canada

hedgehog

Wow.  It looks like it's pretty close to Lincoln, where I went with DS last summer.  There was a McD's.  The only other chain was Subway, which most people here do not trust for PA/TNA.  WE also got some food from the grocery store.  I remember speaking to someone from the water park (Whale's Tale) before going, and they were very helpful about food within the park.  But I'm not sure you were planning on going there.  But mostly, the White Mountains is all little mom & pop type places, from what I could tell last year.
USA

lakeswimr

Flatbread company of North Conway might be a possibility.  There is a Flatbread pizza place in Portland, Maine so if they are related they should accommodate food allergies.

I see they have a Ninety Nine Restaurant.  Some people I know with food allergies eat there regularly.  You might look online to see if they have a menu.  The are a national chain.

Not sure Applebee's is good for your allergy set but they have one in North Conway--also a national chain so you might check their website.  They don't work with our allergy set. 

This link lists a bunch of other restaurants in North Conway.  Most are NOT national chains and I haven't heard of them.

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Restaurants-g46186-North_Conway_New_Hampshire.html#EATERY_OVERVIEW_BOX

We have had good luck with restaurants that cater to gluten-free diners.

There are some in North Conway that say they are good with gluten-free.

You could google, 'gluten-free North conway'. 

Someone on another board years ago recommended North Conway Grand Hotel and talked about the excellent experience they had there.  I'd still recommend contacting them but sounds very good from what the person said (and they had peanut, treenut and egg allergies).

I'm sure there are some more.  Good luck and have a fun vacation!

hedgehog

Ninety-Nine is not a national chain.  Just regional (but knowing where you live, I can see why it seems national).  They are based in Boston, and that is about the center of where they are located.  New England, with a few in upstate NY.  But they were always good with DS's allergy.
USA

Kate

DO NOT go to Horsefeathers.  They have a very bad attitude about food allergies.  We went there with our 3 y.o. son who has a dairy, egg, and peanut allergy and despite "working with the server" re: his allergies, our server never disclosed the allergies to the kitchen so his carrots came out covered in butter.  When we spoke to a manager, they told me to "calm down" and told me that "it wasn't the server's fault because she was young".

In our experience, Dulaney's was very good in working with us and our son's allergies and we have heard good things about the Red Parka Pub. 

twinturbo

How far are you willing to range out for food? Part of the problem in the NE is not having a road system based on a Cartesian plane. There's hardly any direct access but in Freeport, ME there are a few larger chain places. Portland isn't exactly closer. Same for Concord, but, if you do head somewhat south to Concord there's a new aerospace museum where no food is allowed inside. I've taken both kids there and in combination we must avoid all top 8. Obviously, we never go to restaurants otherwise I'd have some recs.

QsMommy

This was last summers trip.

We were there for almost a week.  Had an amazing time hiking.

We ate breakfast at Yesterday's, the owner baked DS his own batch of safe muffins to take home ( used new pan, double checked ingredients  etc....)  She was very accommodating

Dinner was at Muddy Moose, Wolverine Grill and 99 Restaurant.  All accommodating.

Ali
Canada

joanna5

I've heard great things about Rafferty's- they host the local celiac meetings and have a daughter with celiac.  We're calling to investigate in advance of our tript there. (no gluten issues, but milk, egg, peanut, tree nut, and mustard allergies)
David (10/04): Allergic to milk, eggs, peanuts, tree nuts, and mustard
Allison (9/06): NKA
Ryan (3/11): Allergic to milk and eggs

Quick Reply

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 365 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name:
Email:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image

Type the letters shown in the picture:
Please spell spammer backwards:
Spell the answer to 6 + 7 =:
Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview