FAS has upgraded our forum security. Some members may need to log in again. If you are unable to remember your login information, please email food.allergy.supt@flash.net and we will help you get back in. Thanks for your patience!

Author Topic: lesson on never trusting, and always reading labels or calling!  (Read 2262 times)

Description:

Offline becca

• Global Moderator
Dd made a great decision yesterday.  She was given 2 cookies from a small, independant baker who has products throughout our community farmstands and smaller grocers.  I am not familiar with them.  Her freind who brought them to school insisted they were peanut and tree nut safe "because the baker's daughter has all kinds of allergies and she makes them safe for peanut and tree nut allergies."  with that, dd still decided to bring them home, and teacher or friend let her have the label from the box. 

So, I emailed the contact.  The owner/baker responded very quickly, "I do not, and never have had a peanut or tree nut free business."  And she was otherwise polite and responsive.  So, I asked dd again what she was told.  I emailed the baker back to explain how dd got the info, and from whom, since I guess they know the baker/owner.   She replied again, to say, yes she knew them, and how(through an activity) and her dd has no allergies, so how it was weird!  Likely just some confused stories. 

It was all with the best of intentions, and I am sure the mom who sent the cookies in thought she was doing dd a nice gesture.  But their information was completely wrong. 

Another child with PA/TNA in th class did have the cookies.  They were sugar cookies.  So, dd let ds and his friend have them. 

Lately, dd has been a bit too trusting, and I was very relieved she did the right thing.  I praised her lavishly.  I nearly trusted the story at face value, because she sounded so specific, as if the cookie purchaser had asked and been given info and I know the mom well enough!  Maybe the store selling them to her has two providers or baked goods and mixed up which ones are safe.  There *is* a cookie baker around who has some safe(for PN/TNA) cookies out there.  Dd was given one as a valentine. 

Sigh...  I feel bad(for dd), and how dangerous that the friend was so emphatic they were safe!  And another kid ate them.  Though I do think that other kid is more lax on comfort zone, and might do shared facility/equipment items. 

So, regardless, always call or check a label.  Even when it sounds too good to be true.  because it was. 

Dd got to have a whole Hershey bar. 
« Last Edit: May 12, 2012, 01:12:25 PM by becca »
dd with peanut, tree nut and raw egg allergy

Offline Ciel

Re: lesson on never trusting, and always reading labels or calling!
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2012, 03:35:32 PM »
She did great! Glad also that her good decision brought you some relief.

Offline GingerPye

« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2012, 03:40:26 PM »
Wow.  Kudos to your DD!!  And to Mom for teaching her so well!   :thumbsup:
DD, 25 - MA/EA/PA/env./eczema/asthma
DS, 22 - MA/EA/PA/env.
DH - adult-onset asthma
me - env. allergies, exhaustion, & mental collapse ...

Offline Mfamom

• Committee Member Hermes
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2012, 09:57:54 PM »
good job by your DD.  Yeah, I sort of went through this last weekend.  A mom on the baseball team wanted to bring the kids something from this newer local place that has lots of chocolate/nutty stuff, ice cream etc. 
she says, MFA i want to bring some stuff for the boys from XX.  i know he can't have most of their stuff, but they have a nut free offering would that be okay?  I assumed it would be one of those yeah, sure, its nut free.
But I was pleasantly surprised that it was from Nut Free Nation and appeared to be fine based on the web site information etc.
I say fine, I tell my dh that she's bringing it and I'm good with it. 
I leave before the game is over and my phone is ringing.  its the mom half pissed that my ds declined the treat, then she told him it was nut free, he still said no thanks and she was calling me so he would "believe" her. 
I finally told her that if she only told him it was from XX, he would pretty much write it off. 
When People Show You Who They Are, Believe Them.  The First Time.

Committee Member Hermes

Offline eggallergymom

« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2012, 07:54:30 PM »
Phew! Good for your daughter for being so cautious, and good for you for following through with the phone call, too! And the positive reinforcement (in Hershey form) can help, too.  ;)
DD-age 9, LTFA to eggs, seasonal allergies, mild allergic asthma

Offline GoingNuts

« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2012, 06:17:45 AM »
I really wish this would rub off on younger DS.  We got into it a bit this weekend while away and eating out a lot, because I felt he was not asking the right questions and making "assumptions". 

Grrrrrrr....

Kudos to DD.  So proud of her, and she isn't even mine.  ;)
"Speak out against the madness" - David Crosby
N.E. US