Mylan Ad Frenzy Part II

Started by booandbrimom, May 07, 2012, 06:01:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mfamom

I think the cake is a sore spot with a lot of us because that type of food seems to be higher risk and because of the homebaked/bakery crap we see in school. 

and all the moms who swear it is peanut free because she used betty crocker and the eyerolls when we say "thanks, but no thanks". 

That's my thoughts about why the cake is such a sore spot.
When People Show You Who They Are, Believe Them.  The First Time.

Committee Member Hermes

CMdeux

Quote from: lakeswimr on May 08, 2012, 05:28:21 PM
<snipped>
I think Mylan should make ads that encourage people to carry epi pens, that encourage those who may have FAs to see an allergist or at least a doctor of some sort, that make carrying an epi seem like no big deal
</snipped>

I think that this was precisely the intent of the TV spot.  I'm just not sure that this is a good idea when you look at the practical aspects of that approach.  It is kind of a "big deal" to go to the ER. :-/
Resistance isn't futile.  It's voltage divided by current. 

Western U.S.

SilverLining

Quote from: Mfamom on May 08, 2012, 06:54:27 PM
I think the cake is a sore spot with a lot of us because that type of food seems to be higher risk and because of the homebaked/bakery crap we see in school. 

The higher risk is why I think it's the most appropriate food for the ad.

I had initially thought a cupcake would have been better for the ad....decided no beause of the school crap.

lakeswimr

It may be only if you have talked with the person who made the cake in detail about the child's allergens and how to prevent x-contam, read ingredient lists, etc as people usually do when eating out with FAs.  That's not the scenario I"m imagining. I'm thinking it is a person who thinks that *cake* isn't likely to contain, say, peanuts or tree nuts or whatever and just lets her child eat it or asks, 'there aren't any nuts in there, are there?" and gets a 'no' and lets her child eat it.  Not the same at all as eating out in a restaurant after asking about x-contam, ingredients, etc. 

Quote from: SilverLining on May 08, 2012, 06:47:13 PM
Well, people who are objecting to the "let them eat cake" aspect of the ad.....do your kids EVER eat in a restaurant, take out, etc.  EVER

Cuz, if your child EVER eats food in a place like that, it is the equivalent of eating the cake.  Both are things that you can speak to whoever prepared it and make a decision.  And both can result in an inaccurate reply.

Would you feel better about the ad if the picture were a restaurant?  And what food should be served?  I think the cake works.

lakeswimr

I would feel better if the ad did not imply that it's normal to just play Russian roulette which is what the ad implies--that it is also no big deal to do so.  I would rather the ad say something like, 'even when we are careful reaction can happen' or something like that.  The ad implies it is OK to eat a cake that might have x-contam or whatever without asking about this and without knowing for sure but not to worry--you have epi pen.

lakeswimr

Yes, and there are other ways to show this idea.  We don't need to encourage the idea that it is OK to eat mystery food in the process.  I like a lot of the other ads I have seen lately. 

Quote from: CMdeux on May 08, 2012, 06:59:29 PM
Quote from: lakeswimr on May 08, 2012, 05:28:21 PM
<snipped>
I think Mylan should make ads that encourage people to carry epi pens, that encourage those who may have FAs to see an allergist or at least a doctor of some sort, that make carrying an epi seem like no big deal
</snipped>

I think that this was precisely the intent of the TV spot.  I'm just not sure that this is a good idea when you look at the practical aspects of that approach.  It is kind of a "big deal" to go to the ER. :-/

booandbrimom

Quote from: booandbrimom on May 08, 2012, 06:27:57 PM
Quote from: ajasfolks2 on May 08, 2012, 05:12:31 PM
Quote from: Mfamom on May 07, 2012, 07:44:53 PM
I appreciate that they are trying to get people to carry epi pens, but why not put out a complete message....avoidance, preparedness, etc.

Q:  Why not?

A:  Because Mylan is not in the business of selling avoidance or true preparedness.  They are in the business of selling Epipen Jr. and Epipen.

Ajas, I've wondered all day since I saw that post from your compatriot. Do YOU agree that Mylan wants kids to go into anaphylaxis so they can sell more pens?

Ajas?

I'm having a lot of fun with that thread over there, but it's a serious issue. Is Team Anaphylaxis really on board with believing Mylan is intentionally harming children?
What doesn't kill you makes you bitter.

Come commiserate with me: foodallergybitch.blogspot.com

Ra3chel

Quote from: SilverLining on May 08, 2012, 06:47:13 PM
Well, people who are objecting to the "let them eat cake" aspect of the ad.....do your kids EVER eat in a restaurant, take out, etc.  EVER

Cuz, if your child EVER eats food in a place like that, it is the equivalent of eating the cake.  Both are things that you can speak to whoever prepared it and make a decision.  And both can result in an inaccurate reply.

Would you feel better about the ad if the picture were a restaurant?  And what food should be served?  I think the cake works.

Or manufactured food. Or. Or.

The point is: Calculated risks. EVERYTHING. Especially for those of us whose allergies didn't come as a static set.

I think it's not only okay but important to acknowledge that.
The 3 is silent.

SilverLining

Yes, I was thinking manufactured food too. 

I read labels and I call companies....and still I've been caught on occasion.

SilverLining

I really really don't understand these Team Anaphylaxis people.

They complain to the company that they should be teaching absolute avoidance.

Then they say a for-profit should not be teaching the how-to's of living with allergies.

MAKE UP YOUR MIND.

They have every right to advertise their product.  It's legal.  And, soon there will probably be another competitor in the market.

So, TA, decide whether you want them educating or not and stop flipflopping like a fish out of water.

AND, please DO NOT say you speak for the allergic community.  As far as I'm aware, you are self-appointed.  And the majority of people you hear from are the OMGTHEYCAN'TDOTHAT people who jump on every allergy wagon that travels past them.

I am NOT saying none have valid opinions and comments.  I am only saying you are hearing from only a small number of people....and that does not give you the right to say you speak for an entire community.

booandbrimom

I see Elizabeth at OneSpot deleted the entire conversation between me and the woman from Team Anaphylaxis. She also sent out an advertisement for Allerbling on Twitter today.

~)

What a f***d up community we have. That's why I take screen captures of absolutely everything now.
What doesn't kill you makes you bitter.

Come commiserate with me: foodallergybitch.blogspot.com

SilverLining

DrummersMom

Who runs Team Anaphylaxis? Call me stupid, but for some reason I thought it was a person from here.

AdminCM

Quote from: DrummersMom on May 09, 2012, 02:41:37 PM
Who runs Team Anaphylaxis? Call me stupid, but for some reason I thought it was a person from here.

No.

One of our committee members has had a relationship with Team Anaphylaxis, but that person's role has been very minimal in the past few months, and the person has also elected to resign from that position.  I gather that this is the result of "philosophical differences" as much as it is a lack of time, which has been a factor for some time.

The FAS committee and administrators have been aware of this person's involvement with TA from the beginning.  We do (all five) make a VERY concerted effort to disclose potential conflicts of interest to the other four people and answer any and all questions that they have.  Just noting that.  I'm not saying that we don't make mistakes-- but we are very conscientious, and we take very very seriously the notion that FAS is a free-to-everyone resource, and a not-for-profit one.

Quick Reply

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 365 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name:
Email:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image

Type the letters shown in the picture:
Three blonde, blue-eyed siblings are named Suzy, Jack and Bill.  What color hair does the sister have?:
Please spell spammer backwards:
Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview