Help!Browning dough without an egg wash

Started by MandCmama, May 10, 2012, 12:02:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MandCmama

I know there was a thread on this awhile back.  A coworker made very simple "Homemade" soft pretzels.  I know the boys would get a kick out of making them, but the egg wash seemed to really help achieve the real soft pretzel feel (slightly brown and firm on the outside, chewy on the inside).  Would veg oil or a milk wash do this?
Pennsylvania, USA
DS#1 (Born 11/2006)- allergic to peanuts and tree nuts
DS#2 (Born 3/2009)- allergic to egg, peanuts, and tree nuts (and Penicillin as of '18)

twinturbo

I think the typical browning agent is a baking soda dip alkaline bath before baking.

nameless

Quote from: twinturbo on May 10, 2012, 12:20:18 PM
I think the typical browning agent is a baking soda dip alkaline bath before baking.

agreed - an egg wash will just make it shiny...the baking soda dip makes it that dark brown :)

Adrienne
40+ years dealing with:
Allergies: peanut, most treenuts, shrimp
New England

Janelle205

Yup on the baking soda - when I worked at a pretzel store in college we dipped all the pretzels in a baking soda & water solution before baking them.

MandCmama

Assuming you put the salt on post dip? What baking soda to water ratio do you use?
Pennsylvania, USA
DS#1 (Born 11/2006)- allergic to peanuts and tree nuts
DS#2 (Born 3/2009)- allergic to egg, peanuts, and tree nuts (and Penicillin as of '18)

Janelle205

Yup - salt after the dip.  The baking soda & water seems to help the salt stick better.  Not sure how much baking soda to water, since we used to do a whole box to a pan of water.

Quick Reply

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 365 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name:
Email:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image

Type the letters shown in the picture:
Please spell spammer backwards:
Three blonde, blue-eyed siblings are named Suzy, Jack and Bill.  What color hair does the sister have?:
Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview