login
FAS has upgraded our forum security. Some members may need to log in again. If you are unable to remember your login information, please email food.allergy.supt@flash.net and we will help you get back in. Thanks for your patience!

Author Topic: Help!Browning dough without an egg wash  (Read 2659 times)

Description:

Offline MandCmama

Help!Browning dough without an egg wash
« on: May 10, 2012, 12:02:15 PM »
I know there was a thread on this awhile back.  A coworker made very simple "Homemade" soft pretzels.  I know the boys would get a kick out of making them, but the egg wash seemed to really help achieve the real soft pretzel feel (slightly brown and firm on the outside, chewy on the inside).  Would veg oil or a milk wash do this?
Pennsylvania, USA
DS#1 (Born 11/2006)- allergic to peanuts and tree nuts
DS#2 (Born 3/2009)- allergic to egg, peanuts, and tree nuts (and Penicillin as of ‘18)

twinturbo

Re: Help!Browning dough without an egg wash
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2012, 12:20:18 PM »
I think the typical browning agent is a baking soda dip alkaline bath before baking.

Offline nameless

« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2012, 12:37:36 PM »
I think the typical browning agent is a baking soda dip alkaline bath before baking.

agreed - an egg wash will just make it shiny...the baking soda dip makes it that dark brown :)

Adrienne
40+ years dealing with:
Allergies: peanut, most treenuts, shrimp
New England

Offline Janelle205

« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2012, 02:06:16 PM »
Yup on the baking soda - when I worked at a pretzel store in college we dipped all the pretzels in a baking soda & water solution before baking them.

Offline MandCmama

« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2012, 04:01:50 PM »
Assuming you put the salt on post dip? What baking soda to water ratio do you use?
Pennsylvania, USA
DS#1 (Born 11/2006)- allergic to peanuts and tree nuts
DS#2 (Born 3/2009)- allergic to egg, peanuts, and tree nuts (and Penicillin as of ‘18)

Offline Janelle205

« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2012, 06:24:29 PM »
Yup - salt after the dip.  The baking soda & water seems to help the salt stick better.  Not sure how much baking soda to water, since we used to do a whole box to a pan of water.