FAS has upgraded our forum security. Some members may need to log in again. If you are unable to remember your login information, please email food.allergy.supt@flash.net and we will help you get back in. Thanks for your patience!

Author Topic: Cost Plus World Market-disappointing visit  (Read 5400 times)

Description:

Offline Jessica

Cost Plus World Market-disappointing visit
« on: May 13, 2012, 01:42:02 AM »
we went shopping a couple of hours from home and there is a Cost Plus there. I read here that some have found safe candy there, so we stopped to check it out. They had aero and kit kats and bounty and milky way, all with a "many contain traces of peanut/tree nut" warnings on them.
USA
DD18-PA/TNA
DD16 and DS14-NKA

Online hezzier

• Global Moderator
Re: Cost Plus World Market-disappointing visit
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2012, 07:44:07 AM »
I think most of their imported candy comes from the UK not Canada.  I also heard they stopped carrying sun cups.

Offline candyguru

« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2012, 07:52:52 AM »
we went shopping a couple of hours from home and there is a Cost Plus there. I read here that some have found safe candy there, so we stopped to check it out. They had aero and kit kats and bounty and milky way, all with a "many contain traces of peanut/tree nut" warnings on them.

Did you see the country of origin on the packaging?

All the Bounty bars that I have ever seen are safe.  I have never heard of an unsafe Bounty before....  I called Mars Canada and they told me that Bounty was made in  a nut-free facility in Europe and shipped to Canada

Also, all Aero bars in Canada and the UK are nut-free.  Some Aero novelties (ie: lambs, eggs) label as 'may contain nuts', but all Aero bars in UK and Canada are safe. 

I am thinking they just stuck a 'may contain nuts' on all the packages?  Was the warnign a sticker, or on the original label?

The regular Kit Kat and Kit Kat Chunky are also safe in Canada and the UK

So very weird and bizarre you found all these may contain nut warnings.  Doesn't make any sense.. I have never seen a may contain regular Nestle Kit Kat or Aero or Mars Bounty with a warning.  ???
-----------------------------------------------------------
CANADA, land of maple syrup and poutine
Me:  peanuts, ragweed
DD1:  PRACTICALLY EVERYTHING NOW! peanuts, tree nuts, sesame, eggs, wheat, lentils/peas/beans, leaf mould
DD2:  milk (and avoiding peanuts)

Offline Jessica

« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2012, 01:09:07 PM »
They were all on a sticker and the sticker was over the entire back of the bar. Even if I knew it was safe, I wouldn't buy anything with a warning for dd. For one thing, she wouldn't eat it with a warning even if I told her it was fine. And for another, I wouldn't feel comfortable with it. Maybe if it was for me, but not for my daughter. I can order most from peanut free planet anyway-I just thought it would be fun to go in and buy a few. I get the feeling it's all CYA labeling but after preaching to dd about reading labels, I just can't buy something with a warning.

We bought the big kit kat bars (UK, I believe) from PFP and they had stickers but the stickers didn't have a warning.
USA
DD18-PA/TNA
DD16 and DS14-NKA

Offline Macabre

• Global Moderator
  • Don't Blink!
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2012, 02:17:10 PM »
They also sell Guittard chips!!
Me: Sesame, shellfish, chamomile, sage
DS: Peanuts

Offline Jessica

« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2012, 03:22:07 PM »
shoot-I wish I'd known to look for those. We got there 10 minutes before they closed and by the time we looked at all the candy, it was 9. I did look in all the spots that I thought had food though, and don't remember seeing any Guittard.
USA
DD18-PA/TNA
DD16 and DS14-NKA

Offline nameless

« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2012, 03:57:50 PM »
I only see Guittard in the one here near to Christmas - and then it's a crap shoot which ones (boxes of wafers or chips).

Very strange the sticker warnings. The KitKats (Chunky) and Bounty here, do have the "American label" extra sticker but no warnings. They are also manufactured in the UK. The original label is crammed full of ingredients in 10 different languages, but still an ENG/UK original. I've peeled off the added on white sticker ingredients before as a double check.

:(   Sorry you didn't find anything. I only shop candy there if I have a $10 off $30 coupon b/c it's ridiculous to pay $1.99 for a candy bar! but I treat myself when I have the extra cash.

Adrienne
40+ years dealing with:
Allergies: peanut, most treenuts, shrimp
New England

Offline candyguru

« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2012, 04:32:46 PM »
yes, I think they put on those stickers as a CYA warning :(

DD1:  PRACTICALLY EVERYTHING NOW! peanuts, tree nuts, sesame, eggs, wheat, lentils/peas/beans, leaf mould

Offline nameless

« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2012, 06:22:18 PM »
...or...they are mis-labeled. As in - that white sticker belongs on a different candy bar.  They sticker them in the store here, I saw someone restocking once and she was pulling the labels off a sheet (that came in the box) and stuck that extra white label on before they got piled back in the box on the shelf.

Adrienne
40+ years dealing with:
New England

Offline candyguru

« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2012, 08:57:13 PM »
...or...they are mis-labeled. As in - that white sticker belongs on a different candy bar.  They sticker them in the store here, I saw someone restocking once and she was pulling the labels off a sheet (that came in the box) and stuck that extra white label on before they got piled back in the box on the shelf.

Adrienne

that would explain it.. though doesn't give much confidence in them (why do they even adding their own label since the original product already has an ingredient label)   ???

Offline nameless

« Reply #10 on: May 13, 2012, 10:50:31 PM »

Adrienne

that would explain it.. though doesn't give much confidence in them (why do they even adding their own label since the original product already has an ingredient label)   ???

Honestly - the labels are so jumbled with literally a dozen languages, I bet it's an "import" thing to comply w/ USA labeling? There's no US label on them, only UK for English language and at that sometimes there are spelling differences.

I'm not sure it's a Cost Plus thing either, b/c when we had Coffee Crisps at the Dollar Stores here they also had a new white label stuck on with ingredients. But - Cost Plus was the one sticking them on.

Adrienne

Adrienne
40+ years dealing with:
New England

Offline hedgehog

« Reply #11 on: May 14, 2012, 05:23:18 AM »
Yes, I'm under the impression that the white label is to comply with US labeling laws.  But I hate that they always put it over the info that some of us really need to see.
USA

Offline maeve

« Reply #12 on: May 14, 2012, 09:27:09 AM »
They also sell Guittard chips!!

I haven't seen those on my last few trips.  I don't think they carry them anymore.  Almost all the chocolate bars are from the UK and most are not safe.
"Oh, I'm such an unholy mess of a girl."

USA-Virginia
DD allergic to peanuts, tree nuts, and egg; OAS to cantaloupe and cucumber

Offline CMdeux

• Global Moderator
  • -- but sometimes the voices have good ideas!
« Reply #13 on: May 14, 2012, 06:29:44 PM »
Yes, I'm under the impression that the white label is to comply with US labeling laws.  But I hate that they always put it over the info that some of us really need to see.

Yes, it's annoying, that.
Resistance isn't futile.  It's voltage divided by current. 

Western U.S.

Offline eragon

« Reply #14 on: May 15, 2012, 05:42:54 AM »
I have to say that as we are in the uk that we have a wider choice of chocolate and candy type treats to eat . Certainly in comparasion to USA , spent ages searching for something safe for allergic son. He did express some pity for the nut allergic children of america who had little safe chocolate choices.

am hoping we are wrong on this one though, or that things have improved!
Its OK to have dreams:one day my kids will be legal adults & have the skills to pick up a bath towel.