Kindergarten Orientation

Started by MaryM, May 17, 2012, 12:53:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MaryM

DD is going to K orientation next week.  Below is an email exchange regarding the snack that will be served.

My first email to PTA president:

"My daughter will be starting xx school in the fall (My son is in Miss X's class).  We are planning to be at the orientation on the 23rd.  I was wondering if you had purchased the snack for this yet?  DD is allergic to milk and eggs and I wanted to see if the snack would be safe for her.  If you haven't gotten the snack, I'd be happy to do it for you.  If you know of other kids with other allergies coming, I could make sure whatever is served would be safe for them too.
Let me know!

Thanks,
Mary"

Her response to me and a cc to the nurse:
"Mary, Thank you so much.
I was planning on getting mini water bottles and mini pretzels from the pretzel factory.  Do you think that will work for everyone?  Marcy, what other allergies do we have?  So far, the RSVPs have been low."

My response:

"Thanks for the note.   The pretzels at the Pretzel Factory have dairy in them.  Is there something else I could get?  I'm happy to pick everything  up."

Nurses response:
"In reviewing the information that I have received so far on the incoming Kindergarten students, there are a few students with allergies to peanuts, treenuts, milk and eggs.  I've spoken to Mrs. X, who has been at the previous Kindergarten orientations, to see what has worked in the past.   The pretzels do contain whey (by product of milk).  Can DD be in same room as dairy and eggs in pretzels?  If so, maybe we can have the pretzels and a delicious alternative.  It suggested there might be a granola snack or gummy fruit snacks (according to Mrs. X) might have been available the year DS was at orientation.  Is there a particular snack that DD could eat?  You do not need to provide the snack, we should be responsible for it.

I hope this helps. Please let me know what we decide to do."

I was not thrilled with this response so I sent the following:

"The year of DS's  orientation there were xxx brand of fruit roll ups.  They have them at xxx & DD likes those.  Most granolas contain nuts, so that would not be a good idea since there are peanut/tree nut allergic kids.  I know the kids love the soft pretzels but as the parent of a child who is always having something different than her peers, I try very hard, when I can, to make sure the snack is safe for everyone.  Every party, every family event we do not host, any place we go, DD  and her brother have to bring their own treats and snacks.  Its a part of our  lives and the lives of so many kids with food allergies.  I feel like at school, the kids should not have to have something different.  I am the room parent for DS's class and make sure that every food item that we have is safe for all the kids.  No one has to have something different.   That being said, could we maybe get the fruit roll ups and a few bags of pretzel rods or apple slices?  Oreo cookies are even safe for milk/egg/peanut/ tree nut allergies if you wanted to do a sweet treat.  I am happy to pick up the snack and be reimbursed.

Thank you,
Mary"

At this point I was worried about what kind of response I would get. Below is the nurse response:

"I think that's a great idea.  I agree that it would be best to have something that everyone can eat, rather than making the children feel different .  I will let you coordinate with xxx whichever snack you think will be best. Thank you for your input."

I'm very happy it all worked out.  I hate the idea of a yummy alternative...

Sent from my iPad

notnutty

I think that is a great response Mary!

(except for part of me who hates the fact that you have to work with the PTA president instead of a school administrator doing the organizing.  However, I am private and I hate discussing accommodations/comfort zones/ details of my DS's LTFA management with other parents and I do see the nurse seems to have taken charge.)

:)

MaryM

PTA provides the snack so it's easier to go straight to the top.  The people at school who know me, know about my kids' allergies.  Since allergies have been discussed in general at the room parent meeting and I spoke about how last year we made the parties in DS's grade level safe for everyone(lots of allergies in his year - although I seem to be the only parent who checks labels, etc), she already knew.  Personally, I find it ridiculous that there has to be a snack at all...I just hope that I educated a few people today and maybe we will not hear the words "delicious alternative" again.

Quick Reply

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 365 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name:
Email:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image

Type the letters shown in the picture:
Three blonde, blue-eyed siblings are named Suzy, Jack and Bill.  What color hair does the sister have?:
Please spell spammer backwards:
Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview