How much do you worry about dog food?

Started by Jessica, May 17, 2012, 07:24:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jessica

After the recent recalls we decided to switch our dog to another brand. I did some research and decided on Earthborn Holistic. Then today I found out that the same company also makes Pro Pac which has biscuits with peanuts in them (actual peanuts, I guess, not just pb). I'll call tomorrow and see if they're all on the same equipment but I'm wondering how much others worry about it. We don't normally keep the food in the house (we do right now because I just got a small bag to try out) and dd doesn't handle it, although she might handle the bowls or the scoops. She had surgery recently though so she hasn't been handling anything to do with the dog since before we got the food. So I can't say whether this bag would have caused a problem if she did handle it. 

Would you switch again?
USA
DD18-PA/TNA
DD16 and DS14-NKA

CMdeux

Not unless I noticed a problem.

We've switched things occasionally with pet treats/food-- but this is the result of observed reactions.  Honestly, phone calls tend to get us nowhere useful with animal/feed companies.  We just find something that works and stick with it.  Of course, we avoid anything that reads unsafe as per the label.  Of course.

But beyond that, I figure it's a crap shoot to get reasonably accurate information out of someone who actually knows.  So I don't bother.

Then again, EGG is a much, MUCH bigger problem in pet foods than pn.  We always know right away if a pet food is a problem-- DD hives right up.  She definitely has to be careful around other people's pets.
Resistance isn't futile.  It's voltage divided by current. 

Western U.S.

Jessica

I think one barrier is that most pet foods are made by a number of companies that are not pet food companies but pet food manufacturing companies. Which is why so many brands were recalled recently even though it was just a Diamond company plant-very few pet food companies actually make their own.

I can imagine that egg is a big problem. I think I've seen it on every dog food ingredient list I've read and I've read a lot of them.
USA
DD18-PA/TNA
DD16 and DS14-NKA

hedgehog

I've posted this in the past, but it's been a while.  When DS was very young, he always broke out in hives when his cousin's dog licked him.  Once, he had one very large hive on his cheek in the exact shape of the dog's tongue.  We had thought he was allergic to dog saliva. BUt he only had a problem when this one particular dog licked him, so we actually think it was something, probably a food or treat containing peanut, in the dog's diet that did it. 
USA

shoshana

dd has had a few very significant hive incidents that we can attribute to past dog food.  she is dairy allergic as well as nut allergic though and so many dog foods have trace dairy.  we have finally found a dog food that she is okay with and that the dog is okay with -- my lab is allergic to chicken, beef, turkey, duck and grains...i have the leanest lab you've ever seen! :)

AllergyMum

My son had a reaction from my SIL dog after being licked directly after the dog finished eating.  There was egg in the dog food.  My SIL switch dog foods to one that had no egg (love my SIL)
DS - Dairy, Egg, PN, TN, Drug allergies
Canada

Jessica

I would obviously avoid any food or treats that actually contain peanut but my concern is traces. Have your kids had contact reactions to food that is made on shared lines but doesn't have the actual ingredient?
USA
DD18-PA/TNA
DD16 and DS14-NKA

CMdeux

YES, absolutely.  That is the cause of almost all of DD's known ingestion reactions, most of them anaphylactic.  My DD is one that regularly reacts to some Kraft products that most PA/TNA, egg allergic people tolerate fine.  She has a really low threshold, in other words.

She's only had one known pn ingestion in her life-- the one that resulted in grade IV anaphylaxis within seconds after a dose of ~100 mg.

She also has had anaphylactic reactions to inhalation and (apparent) contact, occasionally from sources never identified as definitely contaminated (invisible traces?).

Again, though-- we don't worry too much about dog food if the label reads safe and they don't market a peanut-containing variety.  We have a hard enough time finding a decent dog food that doesn't actually CONTAIN egg.

If it became a big problem, I'd make my own dog food with a pressure cooker.  For now, having DD wash her hands after handling the dog food works fine.

FWIW, our dog's dry dog food wasn't ever recalled; we considered that to be EXCELLENT news insofar as them controlling the actual manufacturing process, which obviously has additional implications for us given DD's allergies.  We've used Natural Balance (a variety of types) and Avoderm, though the latter has reformulated and now includes egg, as I recall.

Western U.S.

Jessica

natural balance is on the current recall list. Or did you switch from that one in the past?
USA
DD18-PA/TNA
DD16 and DS14-NKA

CMdeux

We're not in an affected state; but also note that the recall is precautionary on their part-- they know of NO reports of their own foods being tainted in any way, they just use Diamond for some manufacturing.  Also note that Natural Balance has a "test-and-hold" protocol.  We've used them for a long time, but I'll tell you, we became a LOT more loyal after the melamine recalls a few years back, which wound up engulfing most of the major brands.

I will say that one down side of NB dog food is that it tends to go rancid quickly.   :-/  Fewer preservatives.

Western U.S.

Jessica

Yes I understand that it's precautionary. I feel bad for all of the other companies who are losing $$ because of Diamond's practices AGAIN. I think I've seen more recalls from that company than any other. And it makes me wonder what they'll be recalling for next. Some NB dry and canned food WAS part of the melamine recall a few years ago and there was a recall for some of the dry food last year (salmonella).
USA
DD18-PA/TNA
DD16 and DS14-NKA

KSLaru

Would anyone be willing to mention names of dog foods and treats they have used w/out incident?  We are getting a puppy and I'm feeling a bit overwhelmed by all the choices.  We only have a PN allergy, but in the past we reacted to a family member's dog eating Science Diet - later finding it had ground peanut shells.  Am I correct in understanding dog food labels don't have to call out allergens?  Treats are a big concern for me too, as it seems most have some PN version.

Thanks!

Jessica

Between worrying about nuts and all the recalls, our list has gotten a lot smaller. Right now I would trust Blue Buffalo and the brand we settled on (Earthborn Holistic). Starting at the beginning of June it's made in a plant that doesn't use any nuts. However, even in the former plant it was in a completely separate area from where the peanut butter treats were made. I think I would also trust the Natura Pet line (California Natural, Healthwise, Innova, Evo, etc) but I can't find them locally and have not contacted them in at least 4 yrs. So things may have changed.

Treats we use are Plato Pet Treats and Blue Buffalo plus Merrick brand bully sticks. We used to use Natural Balance treats (recently enough that we're finishing up a bag of them) but I'm just more comfortable avoiding them for now once this bag is gone. Our dog also loves sliced apples.
USA
DD18-PA/TNA
DD16 and DS14-NKA

YouKnowWho

We just switched to Wellness Core (GF variety) because it was one of the few high nutrient brands without gluten or egg.  It doesn't have nuts but to be honest, I have not checked out the brand from a manufacturing standpoint.   

It's tough because between our allergies and the dogs overall pickiness (which is not the case with this food, he loves it) plus his obvious issues with corn and other cheap fillers.

I would prefer to go to a more raw brand but I am still researching what would be best for him and us as a family.  Many of the "easier" options contain egg which is an issue for one child.  While Radar generally avoids the kids other than to sit under them to keep the floor clean, he is also sympathetic to their sadness and will come to lick them when they are crying.
DS1 - Wheat, rye, barley and egg
DS2 - peanuts
DD -  tree nuts, soy and sunflower
Me - bananas, eggplant, many drugs
Southeast USA

Jessica

One Wellness variety was recalled recently but I don't think it was from their Core line. But on their website they do have a peanut variety of snacks. It's called Wellbars Crunchy Peanuts and Honey.
USA
DD18-PA/TNA
DD16 and DS14-NKA

Quick Reply

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 365 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name:
Email:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image

Type the letters shown in the picture:
Please spell spammer backwards:
Three blonde, blue-eyed siblings are named Suzy, Jack and Bill.  What color hair does the sister have?:
Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview