FAS has upgraded our forum security. Some members may need to log in again. If you are unable to remember your login information, please email food.allergy.supt@flash.net and we will help you get back in. Thanks for your patience!

Author Topic: Give me strength - UPDATED Oct. 19  (Read 4826 times)

Description:

Offline SilverLining

Give me strength - UPDATED Oct. 19
« on: June 04, 2012, 10:50:40 AM »
I called the high school to speak to whoever is in charge of IHPs.  I get transferred to the person in charge of IEPs.  Then I get teansferred to the person who files IHPs.  Well, that's a bit closer, right?

I explain I would like to come in and see where epi-pens are stored (we don't usually DO that).  You don't have a place to keep epi-pens??? (No, we don't show people. ) I say that my son carries an epi-pen....will this be an issue?  (We want one in the office.)  I'll provide two, will school policy allow him to carry one?  (I'm sure that will be fine.)  Can he carry benedryl?  (No.)  If I have forms properly filled out, can I leave some in the office for when he needs it?  (I'm sure we can give it if you and the doctor authorize in writing.)  Can I stop in with the forms to make sure I've got all the correct ones?  (We'll send you the package the last week of August.)  But....I need the forms filled out before the first day of school.  I'll print them off the internet, they probably haven't changed them.  (No...those aren't the right ones.  We'll mail them to you the last week of August.)  My son cannot go to school without his epi-pen.  He cannot bring his epi-pen without the authorization forms.  I cannot get into the doctor early in September.  Can I please pick up the forms this week?  (I'll speak to the principal.  Nobody has ever asked this before.)

:banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

And, when the answer starts with "I'm sure" that usually means you're guessing.

And really....I'm the first parent to say I need more than a week to get doctor forms filled out?
« Last Edit: October 19, 2012, 09:32:56 AM by SilverLining »

Offline momma2boys

• Global Moderator
Re: Give me strength
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2012, 10:56:17 AM »
Just show up there, go to the office and ask for the forms.  What can they do besides give them to you? I assume there is no nurse?
peanut, treenut, sesame
Northeast, US

Offline CMdeux

• Global Moderator
  • -- but sometimes the voices have good ideas!
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2012, 11:13:34 AM »
UGH-- I hate it when I am evidently "the first person" to have ever asked about something.    ~)  This does NOT give me a lot of confidence in the system's ability to manage things proactively, KWIM?

Hang in there, SL... and yes, just GO IN THERE and wait until they hand you what you need and confirm that it is what you need.  Take notes and demand names.  Look at the clock/your watch... ask for the date... 

(In other words, let them know that you are going to hold them accountable for what they are telling you and giving you.)

Grrrr.

Resistance isn't futile.  It's voltage divided by current. 

Western U.S.

Offline GingerPye

« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2012, 11:18:16 AM »
ugggh is right.  Seems like a lot of us are "leading the way" wrt FAs in the schools.
DD, 25 - MA/EA/PA/env./eczema/asthma
DS, 22 - MA/EA/PA/env.
DH - adult-onset asthma
me - env. allergies, exhaustion, & mental collapse ...

Offline SilverLining

« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2012, 11:59:23 AM »
The woman I spoke with called me back, probably within a half hour of our original call.

She will have the forms ready for me when I have to go to the school about something else.  She told me where her office is, and that SHE will have the forms for me.  So, I have hope.

No nurses here, which is fine with me.  It's a huge school, and I prefer that most (if not all) staff are epi-trained.  I don't want him sent to an office where the nurse might (or might not) be.

The schools I've dealt with, IHPs seem to be "no biggie".  They are basically JUST authorization for medicine forms.  Some may include other stuff, but that seems to be the basics.  It's all school protocol as far as where meds are, who gives it, etc.  But getting that information is like pulling teeth.  This should not be guarded information.

So...when I go in, I'm going to be pleasant and sweet.  (No reason not to...she is getting me the forms.)  And, I'll ask my questions again.  Where are the spares kept....who can administer.

twinturbo

« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2012, 12:25:08 PM »
I don't even call anymore. It's either email or in person, and this very much includes the allergist's office. His nurse is with it, but his admin staff is atrocious even to other doctors.

Offline Mookie86

« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2012, 05:20:19 PM »
Ludicrous situation.  I'm glad you spoke with someone who seems to have a clue.  Hopefully you'll get all needed papers when you're at the school. 
« Last Edit: June 04, 2012, 06:56:11 PM by Mookie86 »

Offline joanna5

« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2012, 06:34:06 PM »
I hope you got everything!
David (10/04): Allergic to milk, eggs, peanuts, tree nuts, and mustard
Allison (9/06): NKA
Ryan (3/11): Allergic to milk and eggs

Offline catelyn

• typing is not exercise
    • my diy blog
« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2012, 07:43:26 PM »
Helga has benedryl and advil in her backpack.  NOBODY had ever noticed.  Actually now that I say it, Kylar has advil in his too.

Her gr 5 teacher kept advil in her desk for the asking, especially for the girls.  cough cough. 

Offline SilverLining

« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2012, 07:56:19 PM »
Elmo has been carrying it too.  But, in high school....I totally get that they don't want kids carrying drugs.  It will still be available to him at the office (provided by me).  I had heard about a girl getting suspended or expelled for taking a BCP at school.  I don't want him in trouble over it.

It's not a life saving med.  So, it's not something I'm fighting for.  I would prefer he have it walking to and from school....but even that isn't worth fighting for.  Going by his history re environmentals, if he's fine when he leaves school, his reaction shouldn't be to bad by the time he gets home.

Offline SilverLining

« Reply #10 on: June 04, 2012, 07:57:20 PM »
A teacher giving meds, even advil, could lose her job over that.

Offline Mfamom

• Global Moderator
  • Committee Member Hermes
« Reply #11 on: June 04, 2012, 08:12:57 PM »
Silver, I'm definitely having a "give me strength moment too".  between the field trip and just finishing the intro to freshman football, I'mweak kneed for sure.  during the summer, they train and coach says you'll be here all day pretty much on M,W,F  don't worry we'll feed you lunch all those days....
sometimes i resent those who dont have to worry about food allergies and i resent the people who are in charge of our kids when they "don't get it". 

As far as tylenol etc in Middle School, we signed a permission form for it to be given by the nurse as well as Tums and something else.  I assume it will be same in hs. 

I will not allow ds to have any medications on his person or in his locker that are not part of his "self carry" because kids can get in big trouble for having them.  Apparently, they do random locker checks and if its in there, its a problem. 
When People Show You Who They Are, Believe Them.  The First Time.

Committee Member Hermes

Offline SilverLining

« Reply #12 on: June 04, 2012, 08:28:47 PM »
{{{hugs}}}

It sometimes seems everyone is out to get us.

Offline SilverLining

« Reply #13 on: June 06, 2012, 03:34:12 PM »
I get to the school and the woman has an envelope with the papers for me.  I look through, and there is not one for the doctor to sign.  I ask about it......they don't require doctor signature for epi or OTC.

This guy was standing off to the side, listening to me talk to the three women in the office.  I again tell them, he cannot go to school without the epi, are they POSITIVE these are the only forms required.  Eventually, the guy comes over and introduces himself.  He's my son's VP.  He says, no problem with ds carrying an epi-pen and benedryl.  He talks to ds to make sure he knows what he's allergic to, and which med for what.  (He's 14, and I agree he's ready to take some responsibility wrt to this.   He's always been the one to decide if he needs benedryl because it is not for severe reactions.)  Discussed where spare meds are kept....in office, not locked up.  All staff has some epi training and all can administer it.  Some have more first aid training then others though.

Later, went for meeting in resource room and there was a huge poster about anaphylaxis.

Meeting ended with a treat.  The teacher said we got a peanut-free treat, but I don't have a list of new students allergies yet, is anyone allergic to anything else?  dairy? anything? 

Offline Mookie86

« Reply #14 on: June 06, 2012, 04:03:50 PM »
They sound very allergy aware and organized!