FAS has upgraded our forum security. Some members may need to log in again. If you are unable to remember your login information, please email food.allergy.supt@flash.net and we will help you get back in. Thanks for your patience!

Author Topic: Managing Foods in Classroom  (Read 3031 times)

Description: Accommodations in Plans

Offline MamaMia

Managing Foods in Classroom
« on: June 07, 2012, 08:44:05 AM »
How do you all manage food in classroom?  Do you have it as an accommodations in your child's plan to notify you if they want to use food prior to the food being brought in & not bring it at all when not safe?  If so, is it working? 

I'm only asking b/c after having this accommodation in both 504 and IHCP, I found that the staff violated both plans and the principal had no clue they were doing so (and wasn't happy about it as I wasn't as well).  Put my child at risk and emotional anxiety.  That said, no matter what's on the plan, what counts is whether it's being followed!  Would you include a provision to be notified x business days prior so you can do research on safety?  Or would you feel it doesn't matter b/c again, it's all in the follow through (a plan only works if people actually follows it).  So perhaps something that states how often the plan is revisited?  You would think they would read it often to review safety measure but w/2 kids w/IEP's I've noticed even on the IEP side, staff doesn't always "follow the rules".

allergyparent

Re: Managing Foods in Classroom
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2012, 09:34:56 AM »
In 504: (elem school)

- Parent of LTFA student checks label in advance, no later than morning of the day food served in class.  For planned parties (ie, Halloween) this is usually done 2-3 days in advance.
- All foods brought in must be 1) on suggested treat list, 2) packaged and 3) include label that indicates it is free of student's allergens.
- Parent of LTFA student signs that child can eat it...goes to teacher and child so they are both aware authorization is from home.
- NO other food to be served (ie, parent brings home baked or bakery items - they will be returned and not served).

Sometimes there are snafus...ie, usually when parents forget to bring the treat in advance.  Nurse will call and read label on phone if it's something like Popsicles.

Offline MamaMia

« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2012, 09:41:18 AM »
In 504: (elem school)

- Parent of LTFA student checks label in advance, no later than morning of the day food served in class.  For planned parties (ie, Halloween) this is usually done 2-3 days in advance.
- All foods brought in must be 1) on suggested treat list, 2) packaged and 3) include label that indicates it is free of student's allergens.
- Parent of LTFA student signs that child can eat it...goes to teacher and child so they are both aware authorization is from home.
- NO other food to be served (ie, parent brings home baked or bakery items - they will be returned and not served).

Sometimes there are snafus...ie, usually when parents forget to bring the treat in advance.  Nurse will call and read label on phone if it's something like Popsicles.

So you have it literally state the days (2-3 days advance) for notice? 

Offline yelloww

« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2012, 02:37:43 PM »
Yes, my son's middle school 504 clearly says "48 hours notice".

Offline MamaMia

« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2012, 03:34:03 PM »
Ok.  Thanks. It's irritating to me that our 504 eligibility coordinator denied it straight away when I requested to include days.  How can one say "we'll give you prior notice" but not detail how many days prior.  Prior notice can be 1 hour before!   :disappointed:

Offline ajasfolks2

• Committee Member Firebird
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2012, 03:46:42 PM »
Consider more than 48 hours notice, if you are going to have it spelled out.  That is really NOT a lot of notice when you have to do good ingredient research or want to give them MUCH better non-food alternative . . . and get them to "think about it" and change to nonfood.

Some folks here have had up to 14-day notice in their 504s as to food use for bonafide education need or the party-crud stuff.  {   ~)  at the party stuff.  }
Is this where I blame iPhone and cuss like an old fighter pilot's wife?

**(&%@@&%$^%$#^%$#$*&      LOL!!   

Offline MamaMia

« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2012, 04:02:39 PM »
Consider more than 48 hours notice, if you are going to have it spelled out.  That is really NOT a lot of notice when you have to do good ingredient research or want to give them MUCH better non-food alternative . . . and get them to "think about it" and change to nonfood.

Some folks here have had up to 14-day notice in their 504s as to food use for bonafide education need or the party-crud stuff.  {   ~)  at the party stuff.  }

Yeah I compromised and they denied it still.  I even went though what it took me this year to research products the staff wanted to use, the hours it took and the amount of times I had to call the allergist.  Still, the one 504 eligibility coord. was so dead set on her initial statement, she wouldn't budge.  I have another meeting at the end of the month to bring it back to the table.  Oh and I really want it to say "business days".  Can't call the allergist or manufacturer if they are closed! 
« Last Edit: June 07, 2012, 04:04:10 PM by AdvocateByFate »

Offline ajasfolks2

• Committee Member Firebird
« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2012, 08:33:29 PM »
There is nothing wrong with making it "business" days (or "school" days) . . .

Look at the wording in your school district's "student manual" for some support and examples as to how to handle SAFETY CONCERNS.

Use their words to your advantage.

Look at the field trip permission slips!!

Leave no stone unturned!!
Is this where I blame iPhone and cuss like an old fighter pilot's wife?

**(&%@@&%$^%$#^%$#$*&      LOL!!   

allergyparent

« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2012, 09:46:13 AM »
Yes, we have 3 days advance notice in plan for class parties. For birthdays, food brought in by school start time day of celebration (but all are PLANNED celebrations with dates on a calendar communicated to teacher and parents at beginning of year and confirmed each month).   Allergy parent comes to check labels in AM.  If the food is not on suggested treat list, and not safe, it is not served.  Nurse takes responsibility for calling parent, explaining they did not follow guidelines for the class, and they need to provide a food that adheres to guidelines if they want it served.

Right, go with "3 school days" (be clear, not "business days") or something like that..otherwise "48hr notice" will occur over a weekend and give you no notice.

This is a standard procedure and in many 504 Plans.   Tell the Sp Ed Director that you have reviewed sample plans and this is STANDARD.

If you are not reachable 1hr before or 5 min before when a mom shows up with a birthday treat, that is not going to work.  You must be given time to read the label, and/or make alternate plans (ie, if 504 Plan requires inclusive treats and the treat is not safe, gives time to change it; if you need to provide the treat, this will give you time to arrange a similar treat).  Also, you may need to call a manufacturer to determine if a food is safe.

Again, if it's too much work for them, non food celebrations are inclusive, not risky, reduce planning, and take less time for everyone, allowing nurse to focus her job and teacher to focus on education in the classroom, not messy treats.

If that is not do-able, then I'm sure they can simplify the process with NON FOOD EVENTS.  There should only be a couple class parties per year.  They know the dates, so plenty of time for safe planning.  For birthdays/other events, these are unnecessary and most schools are no longer doing them due to safety and inclusion concerns.