login
FAS has upgraded our forum security. Some members may need to log in again. If you are unable to remember your login information, please email food.allergy.supt@flash.net and we will help you get back in. Thanks for your patience!

Author Topic: 8th grader suspended for carrying Benadryl tablet in backpack  (Read 3610 times)

Description:

Offline rainbow

This happened in 2008 (5 day suspension) and he was just cleared of the offense.   I think kids with LTFA should be able to self-carry Benadryl tablet(s) in addition to Epipen, as per the Allergy Action Plan.

http://www.nj.com/news/index.ssf/2012/06/8th_grader_who_had_allergy_tab.html

Offline DrummersMom

Re: 8th grader suspended for carrying Benadryl tablet in backpack
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2012, 02:31:40 PM »
Glad to hear the suspension was removed from his record.

I have made a mental note to check DS's Epi-belt. We've been known to put a Benadryl Spoon in his belt on weekends and don't always remember to remove it before he goes back to school.

Offline SilverLining

« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2012, 03:28:39 PM »
I just had a discussion about this with the VP where ds will be going next year.  I thought he would not be allowed to self-carry benedryl, but they prefer he does.

I definitely would not have fought about him carrying it.  He may need it through the day occasionally, but it is not a life-saving medication.  A slight delay (walking to office) wouldn't risk his life.

Offline CMdeux

• Global Moderator
  • -- but sometimes the voices have good ideas!
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2012, 09:19:18 AM »
I think that I'd probably approach this one with a school from the standpoint of learning proper self-management.

Diphenhydramine is something that my DD carries with her.  Period.  Much like a cellular phone and her medic-alert bracelet, no, it's not like epinephrine in terms of being life-saving.  But it's just sort of part of the package that includes successfully and independently managing her allergies.

Being at school shouldn't change that appreciably, since this is PREPARATION for when she won't be under an adult's care.  IMO.
Whatever we want them doing as adults, we need to encourage them to be doing as adolescents.   :yes:

I'm glad that this was removed from his record.
Resistance isn't futile.  It's voltage divided by current. 

Western U.S.

Offline momma2boys

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2012, 10:02:12 AM »
My ds is allowed to self-carry Benadryl in his belt.
peanut, treenut, sesame
Northeast, US

Offline SilverLining

« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2012, 11:28:30 AM »
CM, that's pretty much what the VP said.   This high school is very big on students taking ownership....they use that word a LOT. 

While I want him to carry it, and fully trust his opinion of whether or not he needs it.....I pick my battles with schools, and this wouldn't have been one.

Offline maeve

« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2012, 11:50:17 PM »
CM,
I agree with you.  During our 504 this year, the staff wanted us to not put Benadryl in DD's purse (she started self-carrying this year) so as to remove the decision factor for staff.  I left it in her purse and didn't say anything.  I left it in because it's part of the emergency meds that we always carry. I didn't want to risk forgetting to put it back on the weekends.  I want DD to just get used to grabbing her purse and all that she needs to self manage (it also has her cell phone, inhaler, and a card with my contact info on it that slides into a windowed pocket).
"Oh, I'm such an unholy mess of a girl."

USA-Virginia
DD allergic to peanuts, tree nuts, and egg; OAS to cantaloupe and cucumber