Flying for the first time with allergies....

Started by SweetandSour, June 12, 2012, 08:56:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SweetandSour

Ok, so I'm flying for the first time since my allergies. We are going with Delta.We are going to Disney World!!!! :happydance:

What tips/adivce do you all have? Also, what paperwork do I need to get my epi pens on board?

Allergic to: Peanuts, Tree nuts, Mango, Robitussin, Acetaminophen

U.S.A.

Not only do I not know what's going on, I wouldn't know what to do about it if I did.
~George Carlin

nameless

So - do be sure to call Delta ASAP and report you have a peanut allergy. Delta has a new policy that started June 1 --- be sure you call and ask for the Disability person so they put the Peanut Allergy on your reservation. I say, get an email confirmation and print/bring!

When you notify us that you have a peanut allergy, we'll create a buffer zone of three rows in front of and three rows behind your seat. Effective on flights operating June 1, 2012 and beyond, when you notify us that you have a peanut allergy, we'll refrain from serving peanuts and peanut products onboard your flight. We'll also advise cabin service to board additional non-peanut snacks, which will allow our flight attendants to serve these snack items to everyone within this area.
Gate agents will be notified in case you'd like to pre-board and cleanse the immediate seating area. We'll do everything we can, but unfortunately we still can't guarantee that the flight will be completely peanut-free.

Wear long sleeves and pants :)  Bring Wet Wipes to wipe down tray/armrest/window/wall :)  I speak from experience...ended up with hives once (local) on my face where it touched the wall/window when I fell asleep on a Southwest pn/free flight.

Epipens --- nothing too special. Some on here don't do anything, others take a more guarded/cautious approach. I'm one of those people b/c I was victim to the new security no-liquid thing on a flight the day after that chaos happened. My epi's got taken away.

So here is what I do to prepare for any circumstance. Sometimes TSA will look at them, sometimes they won't. Depends on the day, if they are training, experience, etc.

• Epipens are each labeled with the Rx label on the outside of the tub
  • Doctors note (it's a few years old) that I need to travel with 4 epipens
  • Extra paper Rx in case I need an active Rx for whatever reason at my destination
  • I put my 4 epipens in a clear quart size bag w/ my name in Sharpie on the outside - I take it out of luggage and in the tray with my other liquids. I put 3 oz of liquid benadryl in a Nalgene bottle and that goes with my other liquids, but could go with the epis.
[li]
[/li][/list]

I've not had any recent problems :)  But having the pharmacy label on the epis is just smart anyway. Same with having an extra paper Rx should you need to hit a pharmacy on travel. The clear-bag w/ them on the tray is part time-saver (in case they want to look, you don't get pulled out of line and luggage searched) and also their policy (needles, etc. out in tray for inspection).  Sometimes they care, sometimes they don't. Half the time someone picks it up and looks. If it were in my luggage, I'd have to be stopped/searched.

Have fun!
Adrienne
40+ years dealing with:
Allergies: peanut, most treenuts, shrimp
New England

hezzier

I've never had TSA give more than a glance at the epis, but they have tested the already opened bottle of benadryl for volatile substances, but it hasn't happened every time we fly.

Quick Reply

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 365 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name:
Email:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image

Type the letters shown in the picture:
Please spell spammer backwards:
Spell the answer to 6 + 7 =:
Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview