Banana Boat Natural Reflect

Started by Jessica, June 29, 2012, 10:26:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jessica

We are still looking for some kind of affordable and easy to use sunscreen that has no avobenzone. I saw this and wondered if anyone has tried it.

The ingredients (other than titanium dioxide and zinc) are:
Water , Caprylic , Capric Triglyceride , Octyldodecyl Citrate Crosspolymer , Butyloctyl Salicylate , Cetyl PEG , PPG-10 , 1 Dimethicone , Lauryl PEG-8 Dimethicone , Ozokerite , Ethylhexyl Methoxycrylene , C30-38 Olefin , Isopropyl Maleate , MA Copolymer , Sodium Chloride , Dimethicone , Caprylyl Glycol , PEG-8 , Alumina , Glycerin , Sodium Citrate , Tocopheryl Acetate , Aloe Barbadensis Leaf Juice , Phenoxyethanol
USA
DD18-PA/TNA
DD16 and DS14-NKA

Irene

I am interested in this too!  My son recently had a contact dermatitis reaction to the sunblock we used that contains avobenzone.  His pediatrician recommended that we use a sunblock with zinc oxide instead.
I'm going to CVS today to see what's available.  I think the Neutrogena sunblock may be okay (but it is more expensive).
If anyone else has recommendations for a chemical-free sunblock, please share!

candyguru

We picked up some Goddess Garden kids sunblock yesterday but haven't used it yet.. no chemicals in it.  Available in Canada and USA

http://www.goddessgarden.com/

Active Ingredients Purpose
Zinc Oxide . . . . . . . 6.0% Sunscreen
Titanium Dioxide . . 6.0% Sunscreen

Other Ingredients: Organic Aloe Barbadensis (Aloe Vera Juice), Organic Glycine Soja (Soybean) Oil, Organic Helianthus Annuus (Sunflower) Seed Oil, Caprylic Triglyceride, Lecithin, Organic Butyrospermum Parkii (Shea) Butter, Xanthan Gum, Vegetable Glycerin, Potassium Sorbate, Camellia Sinensis Leaf (Green Tea) Extract, Tocopherol (Vitamin E), Organic Lavandula Angustifolia (Lavender) Essential Oil.

(We also use California Baby for the kids, but will probably run out before the end of the summer and it's not available in Canada, so thought we'd try some other brands)

-----------------------------------------------------------
CANADA, land of maple syrup and poutine
Me:  peanuts, ragweed
DD1:  PRACTICALLY EVERYTHING NOW! peanuts, tree nuts, sesame, eggs, wheat, lentils/peas/beans, leaf mould
DD2:  milk (and avoiding peanuts)

Jessica

I'm hoping for something more affordable. We have 3 adult sized kids plus me (dh doesn't use anything) and we use a LOT of sunscreen. A $15 tube of that wouldn't even last us a day. It says in the FAQ section to use a full ounce on your body and that tube has 3.5 ounces in it. I do like the sprays though-that would be worth buying for reapplying at the beach or whatever.

eta: we avoid shea butter so the lotions would be out for us anyway.
USA
DD18-PA/TNA
DD16 and DS14-NKA

YouKnowWho

Irene - I had no luck at our CVS in regards to zinc oxide.

Oddly enough, Walmart had some under their brand name.  The biggest selection for us has always been at the natural food market/Whole Foods otherwise.

DS1 - Wheat, rye, barley and egg
DS2 - peanuts
DD -  tree nuts, soy and sunflower
Me - bananas, eggplant, many drugs
Southeast USA

Jessica

I saw something about a cvs brand with only zinc but I wonder if it was an older one. The site didn't show the ingredients so I was going to check the next time I went to cvs.

That goddess garden spray got one bad review due to the spray itself not being consistent. The good review it got also mentioned the spray not being great. But still, if it's liquid it would be easier to spread even if I had to take off the top and pour it on. lol
USA
DD18-PA/TNA
DD16 and DS14-NKA

Jessica

Oh also, I want to find something I can buy at any drugstore or walmart. We'll be going on vacation soon and it would be nice, if we ran out, to just go to the store and restock.
USA
DD18-PA/TNA
DD16 and DS14-NKA

YouKnowWho

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Clear-Zinc-Oxide-Cream-SPF-50-Sunscreen/14089500

I haven't called on ingredients, just picked it up not seeing anything overtly allergenic for us.  We haven't used it either as we generally avoid being out in the sun like little vampires.

They also list this one but it looks like it's out of stock online from Ocean Potion
http://www.walmart.com/ip/16615361
DS2 - peanuts
Southeast USA

YouKnowWho

Quote from: YouKnowWho on June 30, 2012, 02:03:05 PM
http://www.walmart.com/ip/Clear-Zinc-Oxide-Cream-SPF-50-Sunscreen/14089500

I haven't called on ingredients, just picked it up not seeing anything overtly allergenic for us.  We haven't used it either as we generally avoid being out in the sun like little vampires.  I did however need something for DH's follicaly challenged head as he doesn't always remember his hat when he is doing yard work.

They also list this one but it looks like it's out of stock online from Ocean Potion
http://www.walmart.com/ip/16615361
DS2 - peanuts
Southeast USA

Jessica

Too bad they don't have a clear zinc lotion for the whole body. But I may get some of that for our faces. Nothing like a pasty white face from sunscreen.
USA
DD18-PA/TNA
DD16 and DS14-NKA

Jessica

btw right now we (the girls and I) use olay sensitive skin with 15 spf. It is so nice and smooth and easy to apply and has no avobenzone (it has zinc). I wonder why it's so easy to apply when others aren't. It would be fairly expensive though, and I don't think it's water resistant at all. Which may be why it's easier to spread.
USA
DD18-PA/TNA
DD16 and DS14-NKA

YouKnowWho

I planned to use it on the body as well - you can use face lotions on body but they don't recommend body lotions on the face.

Researching more options on Amazon.com since we have prime shipping.
DS2 - peanuts
Southeast USA

Jessica

Isn't that like a 1" round tin? How many of those would it take to cover a body?
USA
DD18-PA/TNA
DD16 and DS14-NKA

YouKnowWho

Quote from: Jessica on June 30, 2012, 10:14:34 PM
Isn't that like a 1" round tin? How many of those would it take to cover a body?

Probably for most people.  We tend to go out covered up.  Even to the pool the kids have rash guards, hats, longer shorts - even my daughter.  If we go out and about during the day, we generally have pants on.  For the most part, we avoid direct sunlight during peak hours opting to get eaten by mosquitoes in a post 5o'clock swim.  It's not as much sun avoidance as heat avoidance, I don't do well in it and it takes mere moments for both boys to flush to the point that it looks dangerous (not a sun exposure flush, but an overheated look).  I really need to move someplace cooler...

And for all the good I am at reading labels you would think I would have noticed the active ingredient in the Equate one was not just zinc oxide but oxybenzone as well.  Grrr.  I think I am just going to hit the health food store and pay through the nose for an all natural one. 
DS2 - peanuts
Southeast USA

Quick Reply

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 365 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name:
Email:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image

Type the letters shown in the picture:
Spell the answer to 6 + 7 =:
Please spell spammer backwards:
Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview