imagelogin
FAS has upgraded our forum security. Some members may need to log in again. If you are unable to remember your login information, please email food.allergy.supt@flash.net and we will help you get back in. Thanks for your patience!

Author Topic: TGI Friday's  (Read 1896 times)

Description:

Offline cindy2

TGI Friday's
« on: July 10, 2012, 08:07:40 PM »
Does anyone eat here?  I saw on line that they have an allergy menu but I thought I remembered reading something I was uncomfortable with.  DD is out with her friends and they stopped at TGI's (sometimes it's Applebee's) so she got a drink and is texting me about whether it is safe or not.  She's a teen so this is getting more and more difficult.
Thanks for any input.
DD-peanut/tree nut, lentils & legumes

Offline rebekahc

• Global Moderator
Re: TGI Friday's
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2012, 10:24:45 AM »
I have eaten there, but it was several years ago.  Since your DD is eating out and about with friends, it's probably a good time to teach her how to ask the right questions at the restaurant to make an educated decision about eating there.  Also, depending on her allergies, she may be able to have a mental list of things that tend to be safer bets at most restaurants.
TX - USA
DS - peanut, tree nut, milk, eggs, corn, soy, several meds, many environmentals. Finally back on Xolair!
DD - mystery anaphylaxis, shellfish.
DH - banana/avocado, aspirin.  Asthma.
Me - peanut, tree nut, shellfish, banana/avocado/latex,  some meds.

Offline PurpleCat

« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2012, 07:04:27 PM »
Just went on a road trip vacation - tried TGI Fridays one night.  (DD has multiple food allergies)  They did ok, and only ok.  It took reminders and double checking which never makes me comfortable and their training to up-sell, well, let's just say, offering my child additional things she can not have was just dumb!

We were not totally comfortable so we decide to play it safe and stick with a small steak without the garlic butter, plain steamed broccoli without the garlic butter, and a baked potato.  Her meal was good but I did not want to eat at another one.

Offline cindy2

« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2012, 07:21:24 AM »
Thanks!  Well, she sat there for 2 hours while everyone ate and she drank a soda.  I offered to pick her up but she wanted to be with her friends.  I agree she has to learn to ask the right questions but, even if they give the right answer who knows if it can be trusted?  She really doesn't enjoy eating out. She is almost 16 so being left out of an activity is worse for her.  Last week the girls were making waffles at someone's house and didn't invite her because they didn't think she could have them.  Also, one girl told her she didn't invite her to her sweet 16 party because it was a show in NY and dinner at a restaurant where they knew she wouldn't eat anything.  They thought it would be uncomfortable if she just sat there! 
I was looking at the Red Robin post this morning and thought Ok maybe there but, the frier may have had other things in it and she won't eat a burger bun because who knows where that was made so I guess it's grilled meat. 
Sorry, feeling a bit frustrated.

Offline GoingNuts

« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2012, 08:30:33 AM »
Cindy2, my DS is 18 and also often eats before he goes out, and just orders a soda.  IF he is ordering food, he sticks to plain grilled meat, and asks if the grill is safe. 

Caution:  A lot of restaurants are now offering veggie burgers that contain nuts, so even a plain piece of grilled chicken or steak, his former "go to" meals are now often off limits.    :disappointed:
"Speak out against the madness" - David Crosby
N.E. US

Offline cindy2

« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2012, 08:59:14 AM »
Thanks GoingNuts.  I guess college is going to be a nightmare!!

Offline GoingNuts

« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2012, 07:20:24 PM »
Cindy2, see my "Off to College with FA's" thread in Schools.  I may have to start coloring my hair again.  Just sayin'.
"Speak out against the madness" - David Crosby
N.E. US