FAS has upgraded our forum security. Some members may need to log in again. If you are unable to remember your login information, please email food.allergy.supt@flash.net and we will help you get back in. Thanks for your patience!

Author Topic: chicken  (Read 1733 times)

Description: help!?

Offline Mfamom

• Global Moderator
  • Committee Member Hermes
chicken
« on: July 30, 2012, 06:13:34 PM »
i have two chicken breasts, bone in (they are halves, pretty big)
do I bake low and slow or hot and fast? 
Was going to put in at 400 for 40--45 min
does that seem right?
thanks!
When People Show You Who They Are, Believe Them.  The First Time.

Committee Member Hermes

Offline nameless

Re: chicken
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2012, 10:58:12 PM »
Oh this might be too late --- however --- this is what I do for a fabulous skin-on bone-in chicken breast. I usually cook it with skin then remove and use the meat for something else. It comes out so moist/flavorful!

I use an enameled cast iron dutch oven. Heat it up w/ a little olive oil. Hot, but not so hot the oil scorches. I brush a little olive oil on the skin and then salt/pepper.  Skin-side down in the pot and don't touch for a few minutes. Let it brown and caramelize.

Take out the chicken, take the pot off the burner. Add a little white wine (or broth), a little more olive oil, toss in quartered vidalia, a lemon wedge or two, and fresh herbs. The herbs can still be on the stems. Pop the chicken on top of all that (skin side up) and put in a 425F oven and cook until the chicken is done. Just keep an eye in case the liquid evaporates and the onions burn. It can take another 20-35 minutes to finish depending. I have one of those thermometers you can put in the oven w/ a wire and it beeps when it's hit 165F.

Take it out, remove the chicken to a plate and cover with foil. Take out all but a few onions. If the herbs fall off the stems, all the better. Put the dutch oven on med-high heat, caramelize a few onion wedges and then deglaze with white wine. Add some chicken broth if needed, a little cornstarch - you've got a nice herbed onion gravy.

Adrienne
40+ years dealing with:
Allergies: peanut, most treenuts, shrimp
New England

Offline GoingNuts

« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2012, 06:18:36 AM »
Wouldn't it just be easier for all of us to show up at nameless' house for dinner?  ;D
"Speak out against the madness" - David Crosby
N.E. US

Offline Mfamom

• Global Moderator
  • Committee Member Hermes
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2012, 11:29:48 AM »
Yes it would!  Sounds delicious, thank you for your help. 
I ended up doing 400 for 45 min or so.  I brushed them with olive oil, salt pepper, squeezed somelime  on them.  they were great. 
going to try your recipe though
When People Show You Who They Are, Believe Them.  The First Time.

Committee Member Hermes