Wow! Life MAY have just gotten much less stressful!

Started by MandCmama, August 29, 2012, 09:01:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MandCmama

Had Kindy curriculum night tonight. Shoved into the handbook at thMe last minute was a sheet from the school nutrition initiative. Teacher was flustered about it b/c just informed about it yesterday by email and told to hand it out. Still VERY unclear on the details, but from her take on it, school bday parties would be parents requesting birthday baskets from school food service. Options are bagged baby carrots, apple slices, and pencils/stickers.  Parents pay per student. I will drop dead if this is true! No debating. No reading labels at last minute.  No running substitutes in at last minute.  Can it be? :happydance:
Pennsylvania, USA
DS#1 (Born 11/2006)- allergic to peanuts and tree nuts
DS#2 (Born 3/2009)- allergic to egg, peanuts, and tree nuts (and Penicillin as of '18)

GingerPye

DD, 25 - MA/EA/PA/env./eczema/asthma
DS, 22 - MA/EA/PA/env.
DH - adult-onset asthma
me - env. allergies, exhaustion, & mental collapse ...

MomTo3

Awesome!  Our school does no food birthdays and I am so happy! Not like pre-school last year where my boy was left out!  YeahhhhH!

Macabre

Me: Sesame, shellfish, chamomile, sage
DS: Peanuts

maeve

"Oh, I'm such an unholy mess of a girl."

USA-Virginia
DD allergic to peanuts, tree nuts, and egg; OAS to cantaloupe and cucumber

MandCmama

It would just be so shocking to me because a I got a firm "NO" on food free birthdays at the 504 meeting.  I even got a firm "NO" on 24 hour notice of birthday treats to give me time to read labels and prepare equivalent substitutes, "because then we'd be put in the position of turning people away"  ~) I did not even TRY to hide my rolling eyes after that comment!
The teacher seemed to imply this was being mandated by the state- the majority of it talks about being sure to send HEALTHY snacks for snack time.  The flyer from food services was separate.  I'm DYING to hear if it's this or no birthday party or if this is just going to be pushed as a healthier alternative....
Pennsylvania, USA
DS#1 (Born 11/2006)- allergic to peanuts and tree nuts
DS#2 (Born 3/2009)- allergic to egg, peanuts, and tree nuts (and Penicillin as of '18)

joanna5

David (10/04): Allergic to milk, eggs, peanuts, tree nuts, and mustard
Allison (9/06): NKA
Ryan (3/11): Allergic to milk and eggs

becca

dd with peanut, tree nut and raw egg allergy

ajasfolks2

I think that is a GREAT BIG step in a FORWARD direction!

Eventually, the schools may go the way of ZERO food . . . (but they are also eyeing this as a new money maker -- just saying).

IMHO, it is NOT appropriate to put the screws to the families who cannot afford a classroom celebration for child's bday.  Time to say NO to the Bday "celebrations" on classroom time, taxpayer time, and parents' dime.

8-)
Is this where I blame iPhone and cuss like an old fighter pilot's wife?

**(&%@@&%$^%$#^%$#$*&      LOL!!   

rainbow

Great! this is probably the school's own creative response.

I do agree about the $ issue.  This is a great option but there must be a provision for those that can't afford to order from Food Services.
At a minimum, they need to encourage food free birthday celebrations.

Quick Reply

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 365 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name:
Email:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image

Type the letters shown in the picture:
Three blonde, blue-eyed siblings are named Suzy, Jack and Bill.  What color hair does the sister have?:
Please spell spammer backwards:
Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview