FAS has upgraded our forum security. Some members may need to log in again. If you are unable to remember your login information, please email food.allergy.supt@flash.net and we will help you get back in. Thanks for your patience!

Author Topic: I need help formulating an educated response to this:  (Read 9029 times)

Description:

Offline hopechap

Re: I need help formulating an educated response to this:
« Reply #30 on: September 18, 2012, 11:49:19 PM »
I agree that I might not WRITE anything. Because the written word cannot be withdrawn and you may be misinterpreted. And you are right, this woman would like to start a fight. What MAY happen is someone sympathetic to your child may write in. That would be great.  But if not, not.  If you do address them I think it works to come from the heart, understand them and then say why you need this.  Sorta like :  I am so sorry that your child is feeling badly about his peanut snacks.  I realize that  he and his classmates are making a sacrifice and i deeply thank you.  As you may know, children with severe food allergies can react to very small amounts -- crumbs even. And it would be a terrible experience for a child to see a classmate become very ill because of a snack. It would be a terrible experience for your child.  My child could die from his allergy and this is why I need the community of his classroom to understand and help make it possible for him to attend school safely.  It matters so much that a  child be able to attend school and be safe in their classroom.  Thank you for your help.  If you would like any suggestions for safe snack ideas I'd be glad to help.  Cream cheese and jelly could be a start. And a great alternative is Sunbutter -- it is uncanny how similar it tastes to Peanut butter -- ! I am looking forward to a great school year and getting to know the kids and moms better.  Sincerely , --- .

And if anyone is nice and does something nice -- email them a thank you note -- this goes a long way. people like to be acknowledged. I never won them all -- but I did get some critics to be my friend that way.

From the heart. My child could die. And that would be a terrible experience for THEIR child.

Do i really think we should have to grovel? NO. But -- you are doing politics here. 

Will you win them all? NO. But enough of them to have a buffer. 

As far as the other allergies? I dunno. Most MFA moms I knew had peanut on the list and were glad to get rid of at least one volatile one. My friend with 16 allergies always asks for peanut free cub meetings , etc. She does homeschool -- but she goes for the number one when asking to eliminate a food from a party. 

I particularly feel bad for sesame allergy. And you are right about PA elitism. Not sure what the answer is.