Mederma for scars?

Started by Jessica, September 02, 2012, 10:22:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jessica

DD has a big scar from surgery and her ortho recommended vitamin E or Mederma. Has anyone used it? Or is there anything else that works well?
USA
DD18-PA/TNA
DD16 and DS14-NKA

rebekahc

I thought I had read at one time that Mederma had a nut product in it - not sure it that's still accurate, though. As for Vit E, I think it's often soy derived. For a while I took Vit. E supplements, but I reacted to them. I don't think it was a nut issue - may have been either soy (which I react to rarely) or just my own weirdness.
TX - USA
DS - peanut, tree nut, milk, eggs, corn, soy, several meds, many environmentals. Finally back on Xolair!
DD - mystery anaphylaxis, shellfish.
DH - banana/avocado, aspirin.  Asthma.
Me - peanut, tree nut, shellfish, banana/avocado/latex,  some meds.

GingerPye

I bought some Mederma for a scar one time --- trying to think what's in it.  All I remember about it is that it smells pretty bad, lol.   My PT told me that massaging it works best.  Breaks up the scar tissue
DD, 25 - MA/EA/PA/env./eczema/asthma
DS, 22 - MA/EA/PA/env.
DH - adult-onset asthma
me - env. allergies, exhaustion, & mental collapse ...

Mfamom

when i looked for this type of cream last year for my ds chin (had stitches), many of them had nut oils including mederma.  I think there was a generic one (cvs maybe) that didn't.  just check the label of course.

When People Show You Who They Are, Believe Them.  The First Time.

Committee Member Hermes

Macabre

In my experience, it was the CVS brand that had a nut oil--but I thought Mederma didn't.

Yes--be sure to check labels. I didn't expect to see a nut oil there.
Me: Sesame, shellfish, chamomile, sage
DS: Peanuts

Mfamom

Committee Member Hermes

joshsmom

I "think" I am developing some nut allergies and Mederma made my scar swell up and itch. not sure what it was about it. Have an allergist appr next month.

hedgehog

I've always been advised to use vitamin E instead of Mederma.  If I remember correctly, this was more of a "they are equally effective, but one is cheaper" than that vitamin E is any more effective.  But I also read about a study that indicated that the rubbing is really what works, not the substance that is rubbed in. 
USA

becca

Yes, rubbing a scar(gently and properly) can release adhesions and help imrove the mobility of the scar tissue.  In the business we call it MFR(myofascial release) and use specific techniques.  But a lubricant with emollients and nutrients can be helpful.  I have long heard of vitamin E, long before mederma existed.  Just from friends, etc... not as a PT. 
dd with peanut, tree nut and raw egg allergy

Mfamom

Committee Member Hermes

Jessica

Thanks everyone. I think I will have her rub regular lotion on it for now (we have California Baby everyday lotion right now) and see how that works out. I may look for some vitamin e oil. What about coconut oil? I wonder how that would be.
USA
DD18-PA/TNA
DD16 and DS14-NKA

paparenttoo

I have a tube of Mederma Scar Gel. Ingredients: Water (purified), Peg-4, Aloe Barbadensis Leaf Juice, Allium Cepa (Onion) Bulb Extract, Xanthan Gum, Allantoin, Methylparaben, Sorbic Acid, Fragrance.
"While we try to teach our children all about life, our children teach us what life is all about."
~Anonymous

DD allergic to peanuts, treenuts, and shellfish
USA

joshsmom

Well that is strange because my scar swelled up and itched like crazy. I have weird skin!

Quick Reply

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 365 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name:
Email:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image

Type the letters shown in the picture:
Please spell spammer backwards:
Spell the answer to 6 + 7 =:
Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview