Spreads?

Started by tight rope walker, September 04, 2012, 11:40:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tight rope walker

My daughter is allergic to dairy, soy, seeds, tree and peanuts, fish and eggs.

We need spreads for school that are safe and preferably in  individual serving size. The room will be allergen safe for her  :happydance:
She uses Earth balance (red)- but no individual serving sizes.

I believe most jellies are OK, the school have grape, strawberry and mixed fruit that are safe.

Does anyone use Motts Apple Sauce? the school has original, unsweetened and cinnamon. I called the company and they can't tell me if there is any sunflower in it. They will mail me a form in 3 weeks which allows me to put my request for info.  in writing.

Any other spread that are safe?

Thanks for any help.

hedgehog

I don't know for sure that it would work for you, but at first glance it seems to.  Have you tried No Nuts Golden Peabutter?  It really tastes like PB, but is made with peas. 
Here is the link:
http://www.peabutter.ca/
USA

sarahfran

"Seeds" is a pretty big category.  Does that include all beans/legumes?  How about sesame seeds?  I'm asking because one of our favorite spreads is hummus, which is chick peas, garlic, and tahini (made with sesame seeds).  I think most commercially made versions probably contain soy (not sure on that; it isn't one of our allergens so I don't look for it) but homemade is wonderful.  If the commercial ones are safe, I know they come in individual serving containers.

We eat Motts applesauce all the time, but again, we only have peanut and tree nut allergies to worry about so I don't know about any other owrrisome ingredients.  Apple butter works better as a spread, though, although again, don't know about commercial versions or individual serving sizes.

Would there be any school objection to you sending in homemade items in individual serving sized containers?  If so, that would open up a world of homemade spreads and homemade apple sauce and jelly/jam, but if their goal is not just ease of preparation but also long term storage (all of these would need to be refrigerated unless you're canning them in very tiny canning jars) then this probably wouldn't work.

Sarah

tight rope walker

An entire new spread! Wow thanks Hedgehog that is FANTASTIC!

No homemade spreads unfortunately. T

I know seeds is a huge category, per the docs we are avoiding all. She has reacted to Sunflower seed butter (requiring an epi pen). I have my ddoubts about seasame, it seems to be ubiquitous, but we may have been lucky.

maeve

Are you supplying for the entire class or just your child?  What grade/age group is the class?

Just curious as to why the doctors haven't tested sesame or mustard, both are pretty easy to test for.  Seeds is an enormous category to avoid it all.
"Oh, I'm such an unholy mess of a girl."

USA-Virginia
DD allergic to peanuts, tree nuts, and egg; OAS to cantaloupe and cucumber

tight rope walker

It's preschool. It's private, no 504. We are supplying some spreads for the whole class, they have others. They are also supplying all safe food for her, I vet all of the food that they bulk buy. Since there wasn't enough choice on the school supply list they are buying in safe foods just for her classroom.

When I looked back at her notes she did have a positive RAST and SPT to sesame (no actual reaction). She has reacted to sunflower (and tested for it). Seeds is a huge category I agree.

hopechap

That is a tall order.

apple butter
pumpkin butter
earth balance
prune butter

some good crackers. 

Are there any rice spreads? I don't know of any, but wondering.

hopechap

How about chips and a mild salsa?
black bean spread
white bean spread
GUACAMOLE !     

Yep -- chips and dip -- better than crackers anyway

you may have to make the dips at home and not all kids will go for it -- but worth a try -- certainly healthy.

krasota

Wholly Guacamole has 100cal/2oz snack packs.  They need to stay cool/refrigerated, though, and would be pricey to provide for everyone.  Classic (not spicy) Ingredients:  Hass Avocados, Jalapeno Puree (white vinegar, jalapeno peppers, salt) Dehydrated Onion, Salt, Granulated Garlic.
--
DS (04/07) eggs (baked okay now!)
DD (03/12) eggs (small dose baked), stevia
DH histamine intolerance
Me?  Some days it seems like everything.

hopechap

honey
creamed honey may be more like a spread (I think they just whip it - not add cream)
cinnamon toast

Macabre

tight rope walker, you can bake with pea butter, too, though I think it naturally turns a green tint (just don't be scared by that).
Me: Sesame, shellfish, chamomile, sage
DS: Peanuts

krasota

Sunflower seed butter turns green.  I don't think golden peabutter would.

The golden peabutter tastes extremely metallic, like raw beans/split peas.  I couldn't stomach it.  Bleagh.
--
DS (04/07) eggs (baked okay now!)
DD (03/12) eggs (small dose baked), stevia
DH histamine intolerance
Me?  Some days it seems like everything.

hopechap

I know this may sound gross, but how about spam? Or some sort of canned ham finely chopped.  Kids kind of like that stuff. They can spread their ham spread.

Quick Reply

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 365 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name:
Email:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image

Type the letters shown in the picture:
Three blonde, blue-eyed siblings are named Suzy, Jack and Bill.  What color hair does the sister have?:
Spell the answer to 6 + 7 =:
Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview