Confusing Whooping Cough with an allergic reaction

Started by TinaM, September 07, 2012, 03:00:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TinaM

Just an FYI that we ended up at the ER last night because my daughter was coughing/gasping, and we thought she might be having a reaction. However, she had no other symptoms. BUT, the cough was really gasping. It wasn't her first episode of this. And the ER dr. confirmed what our allergist had started suspecting a few weeks ago - she has actually had whooping cough. While she has done a course of antibiotics for it, the cough hangs around forever. In case you have a mystery cough that never goes away, this is just one more thing to consider.

YouKnowWho

Did they do a test to confirm or was it an educated guess?

Either way, hugs.
DS1 - Wheat, rye, barley and egg
DS2 - peanuts
DD -  tree nuts, soy and sunflower
Me - bananas, eggplant, many drugs
Southeast USA

TinaM

It was an educated guess, since the first doctors to look at the girls ruled it out, and then it was too late to test. Basically, two allergists and one ER doc all agreed that it really could only have been pertussis, so I am finally coming around to believing it. I admit I was very suspicious because both girls are vaccinated, and one is only 5. But I guess it's just happening now. What is interesting is that when I walked into the ER with my daughter literally gasping, noone thought she was having an allergic reaction. It simply wasn't what it looks like, I guess, so the whole experience was a little odd.

YouKnowWho

We went round and round last year with the cough that wouldn't end.  Allergists, peds, walk in clinics.  Finally our ped said I wonder if this is cough variant asthma.  Within a day of treating it as such, the cough was gone.  Another ped in the group who I had to see for an emergency swore up and down since DS2 wasn't vaccinated that it was whooping cough.  When I saw our ped again, I asked out of curiousity but she said the likelihood, vaxed or not, since he responded to the asthma treatments that it was likely not whooping cough.  I get a little frustrated in the office because there are three fuddy duddy's who would gladly refuse treatment since DS2 and my daughter are not vaxed (DS1 is only missing the chicken pox booster) and our ped who understands why we stopped vaxing DS2 and haven't vaxed our daughter.

My understanding in regards to the whooping cough vaccine, vaxed or not, you still have a chance (albeit smaller if vaxed) of getting but being vaxed will likely lessen your response.

(I am not a Jenny McCarthy band wagon jumper who thinks vax'ing causes autism fwiw.  We have a family history of drug allergies and intolerances.  DS2 was delayed in regards to vax'ing and had his immune system go haywire when he did receive them.  Not to mention a few other social and physical delays.  As a result, we are not vax'ing for the time being).
DS1 - Wheat, rye, barley and egg
DS2 - peanuts
DD -  tree nuts, soy and sunflower
Me - bananas, eggplant, many drugs
Southeast USA

Quick Reply

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 365 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name:
Email:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image

Type the letters shown in the picture:
Please spell spammer backwards:
Three blonde, blue-eyed siblings are named Suzy, Jack and Bill.  What color hair does the sister have?:
Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview