FAS has upgraded our forum security. Some members may need to log in again. If you are unable to remember your login information, please email food.allergy.supt@flash.net and we will help you get back in. Thanks for your patience!

Author Topic: Freeds Bakery  (Read 2366 times)

Description: Peanut and Nut Free offerings

Offline YouKnowWho

Freeds Bakery
« on: September 10, 2012, 12:27:26 PM »
I know we have had old threads at other boards but search was turning up nothing.

BJ's (warehouse store) has Freeds bakery items.  They are generally offered in seasonal colors.  Right now they have harvest colors for the cupcakes and frosted sugar cookies.  They have mini cupcakes and full size.

Walmart is offering a variety of Freeds cupcakes (mini) but they don't say Freeds they are labeled as from the Walmart Bakery.  They do however have the Peanut free symbol.  They have vanilla and chocolate with obnoxiously colored icing.  But they also have some of the seasonal flavors - I purchased the pumpkin spice muffins with cream cheese frosting which weren't bad.  (I'll be honest that these cupcakes are nothing to write home about but aren't any worse than your average overly frosted grocery store offerings). 

However not all of the mini cupcakes with the Walmart bakery label are safe so please read for the peanut/nut free symbol and verbiage.

I am limited in the amount of "glutened" baking that I can do so these are a go-to for us.  I keep them in the freezer and remove before leaving for a party.  They are usually totally defrosted by the time cake is served.  DS2 loves them because it makes him feel normal.
DS1 - Wheat, rye, barley and egg
DS2 - peanuts
DD -  tree nuts, soy and sunflower
Me - bananas, eggplant, many drugs
Southeast USA

Offline joshsmom

Re: Freeds Bakery
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2012, 02:04:06 PM »
Yes I also noticed some items are labeled as Peanut free and others do not. I stopped buying them because of this. Are the ones without nut free label still safe? They read as safe.

Offline Jessica

Re: Freeds Bakery
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2012, 04:03:23 PM »
We haven't had any problems with the items with the nut free labels. I believe they're still made by Freed but relabeled for Walmart. I also double checked with our Walmart to make sure they don't add anything to them before putting them on the shelf (sprinkles or whatnot).
USA
DD18-PA/TNA
DD16 and DS14-NKA