International Travel

Started by CMdeux, September 19, 2012, 05:57:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

catelyn

I've had TSA seize things over the limit but I've only had issues with toothpaste.  I can't tell you how MANY tubes of toothpaste that are 1 or 2 ml over the limit we had seized.  They do not let you tip some of it.  I don't normally take luquid benedryl with us.  When I flew with liquid abx, the phramacist packaged it in multiple bottles for me. 

FWIW, it seems to be 3.4 oz which IS 100ml.

http://www.tsa.gov/traveler-information/medically-necessary-liquids

Ralph's cpap always gets searched. 

Get a script from the doctor for the OTC liquid stuff your carrying.

The ONLY issue I ever had with an epi pen was at LAX.  A fellow passenger in line saw me with it and FREAKED out that "that woman has an epipen.  Its a weapon."  Fortunately TSA really didn't give two hoots. 

We always take empty 500ml plastic water bottles with us when we fly.  After we cross through secuity we fill them up. 

CMdeux

Quote from: eragon on March 10, 2013, 03:12:31 PM
once you land split the meds up in to different packs.
for one you cant promise that it wont get stolen inside a bag, or misplaced. so back up meds for is really needed.

as for liquid meds, you may be asked to tip the small amount away if you meet a rather stubborn airport uniformed person, or you may be asked to that your daughter drink it, to prove its a medicine rather than some sort of liquid bomb thing. Our son had to do this once a well. it helped him relax!

YES.  This point is WELL worth emphasizing.

DD and I will each be carrying cross-body messenger bags as our "day" bags.  She will also be carrying her epis only in a small cross-body purse that has a strap that can adjust so that the ride UNDER one arm (on a Tube/Metro line, or on the RER in Paris)  We will also be wearing under-clothing belts for carrying passport, extra cards, etc. 

TWO mixed lot epis in each "day" bag... two in DD's Epibag (which will be marked with a star-of-life keychain, which should hopefully make it a bit less desirable in that it marks it as "clearly medical" in nature) , and ONE in each of our "against-the-body" waist packs.

What this means is that even if we were to be BOTH separated from one another and have a bag stolen, she would not be without an epipen. 

I'm not terribly thrilled about carrying only a single rescue inhaler, though, now that I think about this.  It would really be nice to have a backup there, too-- maybe one that stays in the hotel.

Listing our precautions against theft since we tend to do this anyway during travel of any kind, even here stateside.  ALWAYS make sure that at least two members of the party carry meds at all times, and that you have extras back in the hotel in case of theft.
Resistance isn't futile.  It's voltage divided by current. 

Western U.S.

CMdeux

Western U.S.

CMdeux

Western U.S.

Irene

CMdeux, when are your dates of travel so I can be praying for you and your daughter to stay safe!   This topic is close to my heart because I am taking my son to Asia for the first time this summer.  I know I'm going to be praying on the plane and asking others to pray for me!

CMdeux

Less than a week away now!!   :happydance:

I think that I'm really, truly, almost ready. 

Western U.S.

yelloww

twinturbo

Quote from: Irene on March 13, 2013, 07:02:03 PM
CMdeux, when are your dates of travel so I can be praying for you and your daughter to stay safe!   This topic is close to my heart because I am taking my son to Asia for the first time this summer.  I know I'm going to be praying on the plane and asking others to pray for me!

In 2010 there was a symposium in connection with Mt. Sinai held in Asia. If you're looking to identify a clinic or allergist on your destination point that's where I'd start. You might be able to get 'fresh' EpiPens that way. And if you've never used the hospital in Asia before it works differently. You need a local (as opposed to same ethnicity but overseas nationality) relationship in place sometimes to secure better medical care.

http://2009.allergome.org/China_Flyer-Final_11-13-09.pdf

CMdeux

We are currently IN Paris. Food so far has been quite hit or miss.  Very much hot/cold, if that makes sense.  Our Dublin hotel, for example, was Disney-like in their diligence to safely feed DD... and the one in Wales was obviously both clueless and dismissive. 

What we did NOT really anticipate was the combination of horrific air quality here (there is a warning out for the city thatbncludes people with asthma, and I am definitely feeling it, too).  The ubiquitous public smoking....OMG, truly...surreal coming from the states, and the bitter, dry cild with fairly strenuous physical activity.  Nearly took DD to the ER tonight for an asthma flare that knocked her flatbjust as we were going to tackle Montmartre's infamous steps.

Western U.S.

yelloww

I forgot about all of the public smoking there. Hope tomorrow is better for both of you.

Linden

"If need be the BIG curse  its ***** in France."

Sorry, I cannot get the quotes to work right now.  The reason that it is a big curse word is it has a heavy religious connotation.  I'm just sayin', is all.
DS TNA/EA, avocado, environmentals, asthma

Linden

It's amazing what smoking and pollution do to the lungs.  It's awful.  I hope the rest of your trip is easy breathing!
DS TNA/EA, avocado, environmentals, asthma

eragon

yes,france has more smokers.  sorry not to warn you about that.

we are going to paris later this summer.

even with the cold weather, uk tree pollen is starting to make its presence felt. 
Its OK to have dreams:one day my kids will be legal adults & have the skills to pick up a bath towel.

ajasfolks2

Hope you can find ways to breathe more easily -- in more ways than one!

(I'll never forget 1987 summer trip to Russia with ballet co and the smoking everywhere -- and the stinky-chest-gripping stuff that came out of their cigarettes -- like burning horse dung.)

But still -- enjoy yourselves!!

Is this where I blame iPhone and cuss like an old fighter pilot's wife?

**(&%@@&%$^%$#^%$#$*&      LOL!!   

Quick Reply

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 365 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name:
Email:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image

Type the letters shown in the picture:
Please spell spammer backwards:
Three blonde, blue-eyed siblings are named Suzy, Jack and Bill.  What color hair does the sister have?:
Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview