Starbucks (seeking current opinions)

Started by hk, September 21, 2012, 12:46:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hk

It's been awhile since we discussed Starbucks on here.  I know they are horrible in terms of allergies with their baked goods and would never dream of buying any of their food items.  However, I know some people here are comfortable getting drinks at Starbucks.  I spoke to our regional manager several years ago, who assurred me that DD could safetly get a hot chocolate there.  I never took her though.  As she's getting older, I'd love for her to have a place where she can go and be like the other kids.  A lot of kids now go out for frozen yogurt after school, which she can't do.  I'm hoping that maybe Starbucks would be something I could suggest instead.  Any thoughts on whether it's safe to get hot chocolate or maybe even peppermint hot chocolate there?  I'll speak to the store manager, but I value your feedback quite a bit.  Thank you!

Macabre

DS is only PA, and he goes.  He doesn't get baked goods, but he likes Mistos with a shot of caramel (cafe au lait), and a few other things. He's had the hot chocolate for years, happily.  :)

And I'm sesame and don't have trouble with drinks. 
Me: Sesame, shellfish, chamomile, sage
DS: Peanuts

krasota

DS gets peppermint hot chocolate.  Just make sure they don't add any chocolate shavings.  The drinks don't come with it, but sometimes baristas want to be nice.  Just look at it first.  The peppermint, vanilla, and mocha syrups are fine.  The whipped cream is just heavy cream with vanilla syrup.

I have a severe soy allergy, so when I order lattés, I ask them to clean the wand and use a fresh spoon (they use separate pitchers).  The newer machines are less of a cross-contamination risk, but I had a severe reaction years ago with the older machines when my milk was steamed right after soy milk.

I'm not ordering lattés right now because girlie is intolerant of moo in the boob.  I currently order an americano and add my own coconut creamer.  I have to carry breastmilk for the girlie, so it's easy to carry creamer in the cooler bag.  If I forget it, I order the americano with caramel syrup.  Yum.

If the Starbucks isn't busy, DH and DS sometimes order a strawberry banana smoothie to share.  They have to be willing to get the blender really clean, though, as kiddo is allergic to mango.  If either one plans on kissing me, they skip the whey protein powder (contains soy lecithin).   :tongue:  Anyhow, DS has had no problems to anything there.  I do wipe down tables and chairs as most of the baked goods/breakfast sandwiches contain egg.
--
DS (04/07) eggs (baked okay now!)
DD (03/12) eggs (small dose baked), stevia
DH histamine intolerance
Me?  Some days it seems like everything.

KSLaru

We have let DD have the hot chocolate, but last year at Costco I noticed a Starbucks hot chocolate mix that had a TN warning.  I have been a little skittish since, but I haven't asked anyone at a Starbucks shop.

hedgehog

The Starbucks products you can buy at a grocery or similar store are not the same products that Starbucks uses.  Very big difference in flavor, so definitely not the same.  However, that doesn't mean that the hot chocolate at Starbucks is still safe, just that what you can buy elsewhere with the Starbucks name is irrelevant.
USA

GoingNuts

DS gets lattes and iced coffee quite often.  That's it though - no fancy blended drinks.
"Speak out against the madness" - David Crosby
N.E. US

krasota

Unless they've changed recently, the hot chocolate at Starbucks is made with the mocha syrup, not a powdered mix.

Corporate has historically been good about sharing this information.  Call the 800 number for customer service and ask! 
--
DS (04/07) eggs (baked okay now!)
DD (03/12) eggs (small dose baked), stevia
DH histamine intolerance
Me?  Some days it seems like everything.

SweetandSour

I had a reaction to it. It was one of the first,and I had askedthe woman to clean it,but...
I had a mocha.
Allergic to: Peanuts, Tree nuts, Mango, Robitussin, Acetaminophen

U.S.A.

Not only do I not know what's going on, I wouldn't know what to do about it if I did.
~George Carlin

Macabre

S&S how long ago was that?

DS has been getting mochas without problem. If this was recent, I may want to put the kabosh on that.

nameless

I've noticed some things watching baristas...some of which...do things incorrectly.

For example:

- when making a mocha...they are supposed to swirl the syrup and espresso, then add the milk or soy. However, if they are trying to do too much...they put the milk/soy in and then the espresso....which...makes the syrup not integrate. So - what do they do? They grab a spoon from the "common spoon cup filled with water" and mix it.

YEAH. THAT.

I've yelled at too many baristas about that and had them remake. Especially with iced mochas...they want to stir it b/c they make it in the wrong order.

Also --- they add ice to drinks over the ice bin...and slosh happens. And things slosh up and out of the cup and into the ice bin.

Adrienne
40+ years dealing with:
Allergies: peanut, most treenuts, shrimp
New England

hedgehog

I go to a number of different Starbucks, and I agree with Adrienne. That is, some locations make those mistakes.  Others do not.  One that I used to frequent (several times a week) had a manager that would not tolerate those mistakes.  That manager was transferred to a different location a few years ago.  They've had several managers since then, and I rarely go there anymore, so I don't know about how they are now.  BUt I think it really depends on which Starbucks you go to.
USA

nameless

...when I order a drink (I usually get iced soy mocha) I'll specifically say DO NOT STIR IT...I'M ALLERGIC TO SOME OF YOUR SYRUPS...

Sometimes I get a snotty barista reply "We DON'T do that!" and sometimes I get a look like I have 5 heads. So --- I just stand where I can watch the last step. Sometimes it's at the end where they put the lid on they'll stir.

I don't necessarily worry so much about the ice bin. I realize that isn't within some people's comfort zones. But - I think it's also ok to say "I need ice from the way-back b/c drinks I'm allergic too can slosh into it."

honestly --- we are paying almost $5 for a drink...they can make it how we need it!  I rarely go anymore. A month or so ago there was a Living Social coupon --- pay $5 for a $10 SB card --- then if you post on FB and Twitter or email and 3 people get it from your deal...you get it free! I created 5 LS accounts and yes...my friends...I did get 15 friends to click through! That's right...I got $50 SB FOR FREE!  It's already sadly used up :(

I won't go again unless I'm desperate. Like...when I'm driving across the country next month. Ugh.

Adrienne
40+ years dealing with:
New England

twinturbo

Allow my inner coupon queen to worship the ground you walk on 'cause that is some serious hustle $50.

nameless

Quote from: twinturbo on October 02, 2012, 05:39:56 PM
Allow my inner coupon queen to worship the ground you walk on 'cause that is some serious hustle $50.

the trick is multiple Living Social and Groupon email accounts :)

...and yes...I was mighty proud of myself too :)

Adrienne
40+ years dealing with:
New England

Macabre

You're welcome for one of those.  :)

I still haven't used mine.  I work every Monday morning after dropping DS at school at 7:10 am at the local coffee shop across the street from his high school.  Maybe Friday afternoon I'll go work at Starbucks.  I did put it on my iPhone, so at least I won't lose it.  That's the brilliant thing about St. Arbucks--you can carry your card in your iPhone. :yes:

Quick Reply

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 365 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name:
Email:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image

Type the letters shown in the picture:
Please spell spammer backwards:
Three blonde, blue-eyed siblings are named Suzy, Jack and Bill.  What color hair does the sister have?:
Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview