imagelogin
FAS has upgraded our forum security. Some members may need to log in again. If you are unable to remember your login information, please email food.allergy.supt@flash.net and we will help you get back in. Thanks for your patience!

Author Topic: FDA does NOT require dietary supplements to label for cross contamination  (Read 2578 times)

Description:

Offline Sweet Olivia

Anaphylactic shock for my PA 6yr old after drinking a soy protein shake.  No mention of nuts on label.  I called to confirm nut free facility and was given wrong info!!!!  Shake made in plant w/ peanuts and peanut flour.  I learned the hard way that the FDA doesn't require these companies to label for cross contamination.  I am going to fight back.  Who wants to join me?

Offline rebekahc

• Global Moderator
I'm sorry your child had a reaction.

The FDA does not require any company to label for cross contamination.
TX - USA
DS - peanut, tree nut, milk, eggs, corn, soy, several meds, many environmentals. Finally back on Xolair!
DD - mystery anaphylaxis, shellfish.
DH - banana/avocado, aspirin.  Asthma.
Me - peanut, tree nut, shellfish, banana/avocado/latex,  some meds.

Offline CMdeux

• Global Moderator
  • -- but sometimes the voices have good ideas!
No, and what's more, the labeling rules for supplements and for drugs are way, way, WAY more lax than for "foods."

Caveat Emptor indeed. 

I'm very sorry that your DD had such a terrible reaction. 
Resistance isn't futile.  It's voltage divided by current. 

Western U.S.

Offline Sweet Olivia

Are you sure that the FDA does not require labeling for possible cross contamination??  I thought that it was just nutritional companies that aren't required to label for cross contamination.

Offline CMdeux

• Global Moderator
  • -- but sometimes the voices have good ideas!
Nope.  Only intentionally added ingredients-- and ONLY on those products regulated by the FDA and intended as FOOD.

USDA products don't have to meet FALCPA standards (so meats, veggies, etc don't require food allergen labeling at all).

Resistance isn't futile.  It's voltage divided by current. 

Western U.S.

Offline Jessica

And not only that, but refined oils are exempt. So refined peanut oil can be a hidden ingredient.
USA
DD18-PA/TNA
DD16 and DS14-NKA

Offline gufyduck

I'm sorry to hear about her reaction.  FYI - personal hygiene products are not even required to label if they contain top 8 (I have a thread on that in the main board right now).  Can you please share what brand this was so others know to avoid it?