Already 2 scares and just a mth of school-Advice???

Started by anxious, September 24, 2012, 12:45:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

anxious

So my PA/TNA son just started pre-school and already I've gotten 2 phone calls in the past 2 weeks that he's been seen by the nurse.

One happened last week that the teacher noticed a hive on his face and sent him to the nurse. I came and they gave him benedryll. He did not eat anything but his snack and told me did not touch or eat anything. It ended up just being a pimple.

Today the school calls me again. I have to leave work and go home and check on him. This time no hives or anything. They said the teacher called him when she saw him get pinkish and spots on his face and shiver. I checked him out. NO spots, no hives, pink color was from everyone staring at him and the shiver cause he was scared and nervous with all the attention.

Not sure what to do. I'm glad they are watching out for him. But I cannot take these scary calls thinking something's happening and leaving work. I don't think he's contact reactive and he's not putting anything other than the snack I give him in his mouth so these for now are false alarms. Then again, I don't want to make a fuss and then something really does happen.

Any advice on what to do if anything and how to handle. I'm already a nervous wreck and it's just the start of the school year!  What gets me curious is there are only 6 kids in the room. So if he's not touching or eating anything, why are they assuming reactions???

Macabre

Because they're trying to be careful.  Appreciate that. 

I've been where you are--I totally understand. I understand what it means to leave the office (though I have always been salaried--so while not good and definitely sometimes very bad to leave, it's never been something that I have lost wages over). 

Things will ease up as he spends more time there.

My child has gotten hives from skin contact--at amusement parks, etc.  Even in late elementary school.  And he did at preschool/daycare.  Our daycare became better at treating minor reactions.  Even at school (high school now), if there is a minor reaction, I want to be called, but I don't need to leave work and head there.  Major reaction, yes.  Minor--I want him in the nurse's office for observation. I want him not to go to gym (because exercise can exacerbate a reaction).  But I don't need to be there. 

Things will get better.  I'd rather my child be at a school where they notice the small stuff than where they don't.  Trust me on this--it's not good (we've been at both). 
Me: Sesame, shellfish, chamomile, sage
DS: Peanuts

CMdeux

Absolutely. 

I hated getting those calls, too-- but the only thing WORSE was showing up to find my child snuffling, coughing, or puffy from a reactian that carers didn't notice.  :-/

Be patient, and be calm when you show up.  Be pleasant and appreciative, but not overly supercilious-- that will do the most to allay THEIR anxiety as well as conveying to them that you don't regard "frequent phone calls" as evidence of better care, necessarily... and that you trust them to use good judgment.

:grouphug:
Resistance isn't futile.  It's voltage divided by current. 

Western U.S.

hopechap

They are scared too.  when my son was first diagnosed I was just so scared. My child's first preschool teacher had to admit she had a dream in which my son died.  I did not work then so I'd pull into the parking lot and sit there during lunch so to be available if needed.  The secretary once came racing out, trembling. By God, my kid did have a hive.  But I think it helped when I looked at it calmly and then told her - for this -- use Benadryl.  I thanked her and cc'd director by email.

It is only September. If you are lucky the vigilance won't go down to zero by the time June rolls around.  We are all having to deal with anti-climax if nothing at all happens - please god.

Macabre

What doesn't really go away: every time you see the school phone number pop up on your caller ID at work (or home) getting a scared feeling. Nope. BUT I've always asked the school and teachers that if they call me and its not about a reaction to say so first thing--even before I say hello. Lol. It helps. :)
Me: Sesame, shellfish, chamomile, sage
DS: Peanuts

YouKnowWho

The flip side is having to have the conversation with your child about walking out of class because teacher won't let you go to the nurse.  DS1 had itchies, saw the nurse who saw nothing but told him to come back if the feeling persisted.  Itchies persisted and teacher wouldn't let him go to the nurse because she didn't see anything.  Yeah, not an easy conversation to have with a child who believes in following rules.

Do you have pictures of past rash exposure to show them as a visual of what you are looking for? And how vocal is your child in regards to how they feel regarding a reaction?
DS1 - Wheat, rye, barley and egg
DS2 - peanuts
DD -  tree nuts, soy and sunflower
Me - bananas, eggplant, many drugs
Southeast USA

Janelle205

I'm not sure what your reaction plan is, but is it possible that for just skin symptoms (rash, a few localized hives) that they could send him to the nurse and have him call you or maybe if they have the ability, send you a picture via text?

On a positive note, at least you know that they are taking things seriously.  One thing that I'd want to be sure of though, is that if his symptoms are definitely severe they will act first, and call you after the fact.  You don't want them to get in the habit of calling you for hives and then call you first in an epi & 911 moment.

eragon

add a contact reaction plan in steps. indicate what they are looking for.
also mention your childs mental health, and their need to stop over reacting in front of him.

i have to say that this attitute by teachers /staff shows a lack of understanding about reactions, perhaps they need more support in this knowledge. so that they will feel confidant what to look for when faced with true anaphylaxis. this will stop them over reacting to one simple hive.

the calmer and more controlled you are and firm in your care steps for your child the better, they are taking their cues from you in this area.

when i have phone calls i ask the nurse/sch staff for the symptoms, and go through basic signs (that quite frankly a monkey would understand let alone a qualified nurse) i remind her about signs of lowing blood pressure, the abilty to breathe and talk, swelling  etc etc.

sometimes i talk to my son,(you can assess a lot by listening to them. ) i go though his symptoms i ask him to label them from 0-5 in level of allergy. Most times i am calming him down because he does have panic attacks. Which are expected with multiple recent grouped anaphylaxis episodes.
i reasure him, I reasure the staff they are doing the right thing, i sometimes pick him up , or  give them instructions to follow the emergency plan and i rush to school /hosptial etc.
sometimes i say wash exposed skin to remove enviro or food allergens, give antihisamine, wait, watch and call me back.
i have to be confident that i can instruct them, and that they will follow the agreed written plan for his emergency care. This is the foundation of trust that we build up, and forms a decent triangle of care around him.
The more you as a parent understand  how a mild reaction moves to anaphylaxis the better you are equiped to support those that are responsible for your allergic child.

that doesnt mean that once i put the phone down that i feel fine or controlled.  :(
Its OK to have dreams:one day my kids will be legal adults & have the skills to pick up a bath towel.

Quick Reply

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 365 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name:
Email:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image

Type the letters shown in the picture:
Three blonde, blue-eyed siblings are named Suzy, Jack and Bill.  What color hair does the sister have?:
Please spell spammer backwards:
Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview