FAS has upgraded our forum security. Some members may need to log in again. If you are unable to remember your login information, please email food.allergy.supt@flash.net and we will help you get back in. Thanks for your patience!

Author Topic: Arrowhead mills- label well?  (Read 4491 times)

Description:

Offline MandCmama

Arrowhead mills- label well?
« on: September 28, 2012, 06:36:14 PM »
Only brand of steel cut oats that looks reasonably safe. I'm not familiar.
Pennsylvania, USA
DS#1 (Born 11/2006)- allergic to peanuts and tree nuts
DS#2 (Born 3/2009)- allergic to egg, peanuts, and tree nuts (and Penicillin as of ‘18)

Online YouKnowWho

Re: Arrowhead mills- label well?
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2012, 10:25:17 AM »
I trust the brand from a gluten standpoint.

But I know others won't because it is a Hain Celestial product.

We have also used McCann's and Quaker (I know there has been buzz about the nut warnings and Quaker but from a personal standpoint, I still use the big containers as opposed to the individual packets if that makes sense).
DS1 - Wheat, rye, barley and egg
DS2 - peanuts
DD -  tree nuts, soy and sunflower
Me - bananas, eggplant, many drugs
Southeast USA

Offline MandCmama

« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2012, 12:59:09 PM »
That's what I was looking for (Quaker),  but only the organic section had it.  We had it this morning and all is well :)
Pennsylvania, USA
DS#1 (Born 11/2006)- allergic to peanuts and tree nuts
DS#2 (Born 3/2009)- allergic to egg, peanuts, and tree nuts (and Penicillin as of ‘18)

Offline Elliana

« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2012, 07:48:53 PM »
I have never called them, but we use their millet without problems.  I use it to grind into flour with my grain mill, and my peanut and tree nut allergic daughter doesn't have issues with it.

Elle
PN/TN allergic
USA

Offline Jessica

« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2012, 08:49:00 PM »
I trust the brand from a gluten standpoint.

But I know others won't because it is a Hain Celestial product.

We have also used McCann's and Quaker (I know there has been buzz about the nut warnings and Quaker but from a personal standpoint, I still use the big containers as opposed to the individual packets if that makes sense).
Have you ever contacted McCann's? I see they have varieties with walnuts, pecans and almonds.
USA
DD18-PA/TNA
DD16 and DS14-NKA

Online YouKnowWho

« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2012, 10:45:10 AM »
No I have not contacted them.

This is one of those fine lines with me.  I do not use (nor have ever seen regarding McCann's) individual packets for oatmeal or grits.  We prefer the larger packages that are of lower risk.

And DS2 does not react to tree nuts so that puts it down to an even lower risk for us.  I tend to be more careful with wheat/gluten in a facility because DS1's threshold is becoming much lower.  Oats, even CF oats are off the table for him as a result.
DS2 - peanuts
Southeast USA

Offline Jessica

« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2012, 01:35:46 PM »
I emailed McCann's and they want to call me.
USA
DD18-PA/TNA
DD16 and DS14-NKA

Offline Jessica

« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2012, 03:33:09 PM »
McCann's called me. Everything they make, including the plain steel cut oats, are made on shared lines with tree nuts (almonds, pecans, walnuts). They do cleaning between runs but she didn't tell me how that is done but she said there is a chance of cross contamination. There are no peanuts though, according to the lady I spoke with.
USA
DD18-PA/TNA
DD16 and DS14-NKA

Online YouKnowWho

« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2012, 09:07:33 AM »
McCann's called me. Everything they make, including the plain steel cut oats, are made on shared lines with tree nuts (almonds, pecans, walnuts). They do cleaning between runs but she didn't tell me how that is done but she said there is a chance of cross contamination. There are no peanuts though, according to the lady I spoke with.

Well that just disproved my theory  :hiding:  I do find it interesting because I never knew about McCann's prior to DS being diagnosed but become more familiar because they come up often on safe lists.  Including those for gluten free because they are supposedly lower in cross contamination (I know that to be untrue).  Of course the red flag should have been our second allergist recommending them.  That woman was a first class idiot.  Of course apparently I am too for just assuming they were safe based on allergy list recommendations.
DS2 - peanuts
Southeast USA

Offline Jessica

« Reply #9 on: October 09, 2012, 08:04:41 PM »
How about Hodgson Mills? I didn't even know they made it but I found some at the store today.
USA
DD18-PA/TNA
DD16 and DS14-NKA