Scharffen Berger

Started by GoingNuts, October 05, 2012, 12:08:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GoingNuts

Lately I've been noticing that none of the 3 oz. bars in my area have had allergen warnings on them - previously it was only the baking bars that were safe in my area.  I recalled that they were excellent at labeling, but I wanted to double check.

I purchased a milk bar (blech!) for DS, and called when I got home.  They confirmed that if there is any chance of shared equipment, X-Contam of any kind it will be on the label.  That goes for gluten as well, BTW - and this bar is labeled as gluten free.

They do have several different facilities, so always check the label. 

Personally, I adore their 82%, but I know DS will love the milk one.  :)
"Speak out against the madness" - David Crosby
N.E. US

Jessica

No wonder I've never heard of this-it isn't sold at any store in my area, according to their website. None in my state at all-that's not really fair. :P
USA
DD18-PA/TNA
DD16 and DS14-NKA

hezzier

I rarely see anything but baking supplies outside of Whole Foods.

CMdeux

Yeah-- our co-op and local health food stores carry them-- but only limited varieties.

Great news on labeling, though!  I'll definitely be keeping this in mind for making yummy stuff with dark-dark-dark chocolate.  (Which is the only kind worthy of the name, tyvm.)

Resistance isn't futile.  It's voltage divided by current. 

Western U.S.

Macabre

We can get it here!  I've bought DH the dark bar, and I've bought the baking chocolate (haven't used it yet). DH has since bought himself a bar. :) I want to get some for DS--the milk chocolate.

I only bought it from having read about it here.
Me: Sesame, shellfish, chamomile, sage
DS: Peanuts

GoingNuts

DS looooovvved the milk.  It's his first taste of really high quality chocolate.  :thumbsup:
N.E. US

hezzier

Has anyone read the label on the cocoa powder?

A local place in Tahoe uses this and if safe, then DS might be able to have hot chocolate other than at home.

nameless

Quote from: hezzier on August 10, 2015, 03:07:29 PM

A local place in Tahoe uses this and if safe, then DS might be able to have hot chocolate other than at home.

They might get it in a different size/bag or something meant for food service. There should be a label that they have or can find?  I'm thinking of warnings coming from how it's packaged. Grocery store canisters might be safe where the food service is not.
40+ years dealing with:
Allergies: peanut, most treenuts, shrimp
New England

hk

Quote from: hezzier on August 10, 2015, 03:07:29 PM

Hezzier - will you please let me know where this is if it's safe?  We are heading up to Tahoe next weekend.

hezzier

We are not going until October so I haven't called.  It's called Wildflour Bakery.  Looks like a small place.  There are some nuts on the menu.

http://www.wildfloursquaw.com/

GoingNuts

I noticed new packaging on Scharffen Berger chocolate at the store today.  The baking bars are now labeled as manufactured in a shared facility with milk and tree nuts. :tongue:

N.E. US

Quick Reply

Name:
Email:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image

Type the letters shown in the picture:
Spell the answer to 6 + 7 =:
Three blonde, blue-eyed siblings are named Suzy, Jack and Bill.  What color hair does the sister have?:
Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview