Kinnikinnick Donuts

Started by anxious, October 22, 2012, 03:04:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

anxious

Saw chocolate donuts in the freezer section by Kinnikinnick. Has anyone tried them before? Dealing with PA/TNA.

twinturbo

I seem to remember they had a big disclosure on their website that in 2009 they went completely nut free. Up until then they had no peanuts but used almonds. My bag of Kinnitoos reads nut free facility. YouKnowWho uses Kinnick, too I think. In the meantime I'd check the website.

MandCmama

Used to send them to pre k for pa/tn only son. He LOVED them. I took one to work to heat up and try (they have egg) and I was impressed.  YKW is the one who let me in on the secret  ;)
Pennsylvania, USA
DS#1 (Born 11/2006)- allergic to peanuts and tree nuts
DS#2 (Born 3/2009)- allergic to egg, peanuts, and tree nuts (and Penicillin as of '18)

YouKnowWho

Both kids eat various Kinninnick products (though we have never had the donuts because gluten allergic child is also egg allergic).

I haven't called since they went nut free.  I remember them being the one reason I wanted my son to undergo a nut challenge and just after they passed, they went nut free LOL
DS1 - Wheat, rye, barley and egg
DS2 - peanuts
DD -  tree nuts, soy and sunflower
Me - bananas, eggplant, many drugs
Southeast USA

Jessica

How long ago did they go nut free? I could have sworn I saw nut warnings on the cookies just this past summer.
USA
DD18-PA/TNA
DD16 and DS14-NKA

HJK

FYI...For those with legume allergies, I believe some of their products contain pea protein. I know that is why we could not use this brand.
DS allergic to peanuts

Jessica

thank you. I wonder if the ones in the store were older stock then. I'm pretty sure it was the k-toos cookies I saw. I'll check again tonight.

eta: towns near me aren't even in their list on their website. I am pretty sure I've seen these though.
USA
DD18-PA/TNA
DD16 and DS14-NKA

cindy2

I bought them last year in Whole Foods and DD really enjoyed them!  However when I read the label the next time I went to purchase them I realized that they do contain pea flour not good for lentil allergies.  Thankfully she didn't react but I learned an important lesson!
DD-peanut/tree nut, lentils & legumes

candyguru

Quote from: HJK on October 23, 2012, 01:59:41 PM
FYI...For those with legume allergies, I believe some of their products contain pea protein. I know that is why we could not use this brand.

yes, they say peanut-free/nut-free, but we also have to avoid their cookies as they contain legumes ("pea protein" is in the list).  Plus the donuts contain egg, and we also avoid egg.
-----------------------------------------------------------
CANADA, land of maple syrup and poutine
Me:  peanuts, ragweed
DD1:  PRACTICALLY EVERYTHING NOW! peanuts, tree nuts, sesame, eggs, wheat, lentils/peas/beans, leaf mould
DD2:  milk (and avoiding peanuts)

hezzier

I didn't realize they went sesame free in 2013.

From their website...
Allergy Alert:
Kinnikinnick Products are produced in dedicated Gluten/Wheat/Nut/Dairy free facilities that use Soy and Eggs.

IMPORTANT NOTE FOR THOSE WITH NUT ALLERGIES.

Our facilities have been peanut free and tree nut free since June 15, 2009. They have been Sesame free since July of 2013.
Breads & buns in preprinted bags may still have allergen warnings even though this is not the case.. As we reprint packaging, these warnings will be removed.
If you have additional questions, please call us toll free at 1-877-503-4466 or send an email to info@kinnikinnick.com

hezzier

We tried the chocolate ones this morning.  Not bad for a prepackaged frozen donut.

sneaker

Thanks for the sesame info and donut review, Hezzier. 

I had seen the frozen donuts in the past. I can't remember why but there was a reason I hesitated to give them to my kids.  I am going to look into again.

It would be really great if my dd could have a donut as she is pa, tna, ma, and sesame.  To especially have a donut with milk allergy would be great.

So thanks for the review, I am going to look at these again.

Jessica

gah! I wish I could find these. I've only found bread so far.
USA
DD18-PA/TNA
DD16 and DS14-NKA

krasota

I don't care for the chocolate ones, but the cinnamon sugar . . . mmm.  Rare treat, though.  I don't buy them because of DS' egg allergy.
--
DS (04/07) eggs (baked okay now!)
DD (03/12) eggs (small dose baked), stevia
DH histamine intolerance
Me?  Some days it seems like everything.

Quick Reply

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 365 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name:
Email:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image

Type the letters shown in the picture:
Spell the answer to 6 + 7 =:
Please spell spammer backwards:
Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview