login
FAS has upgraded our forum security. Some members may need to log in again. If you are unable to remember your login information, please email food.allergy.supt@flash.net and we will help you get back in. Thanks for your patience!

Author Topic: 1st time flying with kids  (Read 1437 times)

Description:

Offline anxious

1st time flying with kids
« on: October 23, 2012, 08:34:15 AM »
Hello,

I will be flying with my two kids under 6 with PA/TNA. We are flying United. It has been over 10 years since I last flew. Please let me know what I need to do and what I should prepare ahead of time. Nervous flying with food allergies.

Offline Macabre

• Global Moderator
  • Don't Blink!
Re: 1st time flying with kids
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2012, 07:17:10 PM »
I don't know if United serves nuts.  You can call them or look online to see what their food allergy policy is and if they serve them. 

If you determine it's safe to go ahead, preboard.  You'll want to have plenty of wipes with you.  Wipe down the arm rests, the seat belt (strap and clasp), the back of the seat in front of you and every part of the tray you can.  You will not believe how filthy the tray itself is. 

Take food for them--snacks and something a little substantial in case you get stuck on the tarmac or elsewhere. Also wipe down the side wall--that surrounds the window. and the window shade.   

We used a carseat in the airplane until my Ds was 4 I think. That helped, though he had a reaction in a Southwest plane once in his carseat (and we had wiped down the seats and everything).  He got hives on his belly. 

Take toys--maybe something they've never seen before.  DS had this book--Busy Bear--that consisted of pages full of trips Busy Bear took and each page had clings that you use to dress BB--or pack for him or whatever.  Worked like a charm on trips (the only time we used it). 

We have flown with DS (now 14) a lot and it's definitely doable!
Me: Sesame, shellfish, chamomile, sage
DS: Peanuts