What would you do- regarding bus

Started by joanna5, November 01, 2012, 08:30:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

joanna5

My oldest is in second grade and allergic to milk, eggs, peanuts, tree nuts, and mustard with a history of anaphylaxis.  We moved over the summer and, after a few early bumps, have been very pleased with the new school.  The principal offered up a bus monitor as soon as we had a letter from our allergist stating that an Epi must be given immediately (rather than calling 911 and waiting).  The problem we're running into is that the school is looking, but still doesn't have the bus monitor.  I'm driving him to and from school daily, as well as picking up my kindy daughter in the afternoon since her bus would overlap when I have to leave to get my son.  It's hard on my son to not be able to ride the bus with his friends and to field questions about it, plus the time involved is fairly significant (20 min round trip in the am, an hour to do both kids in the pm).

In our last email, I asked the school to let me know what they've done so far to try to find someone.  They've listed it on the state school job site, have listed it internally, have spoken with all current assistants to see if they'd be willing to do it, and communicated with the collaborative that handles busing for special education transportation needs.  I'm going to ask that the monitor be added to his 504 plan, even though it's not in place since he does qualify for it- it wasn't put on initially because we were waiting for the documentation from the allergist.  Maybe being officially out of compliance will put more pressure on them?  Otherwise, I'm not sure where to go from here.  Any suggestions?

Thanks so much.
David (10/04): Allergic to milk, eggs, peanuts, tree nuts, and mustard
Allison (9/06): NKA
Ryan (3/11): Allergic to milk and eggs

rebekahc

Bill them for your time and expense?  Ok, just kidding (sort of).  It's easy for them to become complacent and not actively seek a solution when mom's willing to do the legwork and they don't face the daily hassle.  So, other than becoming a PITA, yes, I think adding it to the 504 might nudge them to find a solution sooner rather than later. 
TX - USA
DS - peanut, tree nut, milk, eggs, corn, soy, several meds, many environmentals. Finally back on Xolair!
DD - mystery anaphylaxis, shellfish.
DH - banana/avocado, aspirin.  Asthma.
Me - peanut, tree nut, shellfish, banana/avocado/latex,  some meds.

hedgehog

Here is what our school did for DS in second grade, following a seizure that had us all worried.  They paid a woman who worked at the school for her extra time.  She drove to our house in the morning, got on the bus with DS, and rode back to our house in the afternoon.  It actually cut a few minutes off her commute (she lived closer to us than to the school), and while the school paid her for extra time, it really wasn't that long (maybe half hour total per day, or about that).  I don't know if that would work for you or the school, but if it would work for you, you can suggest it to the school to see if that works for them.
USA

becca

In our community, the bus drivers are all trained to use epipens.  And, technically, no eating is allowed on elementary buses.  Dd carried/carries her epi in her backpack.  Is training bus drivers to use epi an option?  Of course, someone still has to notice a reaction.  Not perfect.  my dd was only dealing with PN/TN anaphylaxis, and a less severe egg allergy. 
dd with peanut, tree nut and raw egg allergy

joanna5

Becca, no.  They subcontract out bussing and the contract states that drivers will not administer first aid.  They pull over and call 911. 

Hedgehog, they've spoken with all of the assistants at the school and no one has been interested. 

Thanks for the thoughts, Rebekah.  I think I will have it put in the plan. 
David (10/04): Allergic to milk, eggs, peanuts, tree nuts, and mustard
Allison (9/06): NKA
Ryan (3/11): Allergic to milk and eggs

Quick Reply

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 365 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name:
Email:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image

Type the letters shown in the picture:
Please spell spammer backwards:
Three blonde, blue-eyed siblings are named Suzy, Jack and Bill.  What color hair does the sister have?:
Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview