login
FAS has upgraded our forum security. Some members may need to log in again. If you are unable to remember your login information, please email food.allergy.supt@flash.net and we will help you get back in. Thanks for your patience!

Author Topic: Treats without top 8 allergens and sesame?  (Read 1495 times)

Description:

Offline Irene

Treats without top 8 allergens and sesame?
« on: November 05, 2012, 09:31:27 PM »
My church hired a new Children's Pastor recently and I have been working with her to improve the church's policy about handling food allergies.  To my great disappointment, in spite of having a peanut allergy herself, she still wants to give out food rewards once a month to the kids.  I have been assigned the task of looking at all the food allergies represented by the kids and coming up with treats that are safe for everyone.  Well, guess what, all the top 8 allergens with the exception of soy are represented, as well as sesame and coconut. 

I can only think of products from Enjoy Life, Lucy's gluten-free cookies, and Homefree (previously known as Gak's Snack). Maybe some brands of fruit flavored snacks?  I'd appreciate other suggestions!

I should say that overall, the church has a decent policy - they don't allow products with nuts as an ingredient (but allow 'may contains...'), and at least this new pastor is consulting me about what foods to give the kids.  The previous person used to bring in dunkin donuts for the kids (even after my husband and I reminded her that all foods must be clearly labeled).  So this is an improvement!  I think I just have to accept that the concept of food-free celebrations cannot be grasped by 99.999% of people and especially in a church setting where food and fellowship always go together.  I am tired too of being the only parent of a kid with FA who has a problem with food rewards...

Thanks!!

Offline Macabre

• Global Moderator
  • Don't Blink!
Re: Treats without top 8 allergens and sesame?
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2012, 12:45:27 PM »
I think you're right. One of the most difficult places for folks to get the food free thing is church.  Eating is just part of things it seems. 

I don't know that I have ideas other than the ones you suggested, but wow--your church is doing so much more than I could ever hope for mine.
Me: Sesame, shellfish, chamomile, sage
DS: Peanuts

twinturbo

Re: Treats without top 8 allergens and sesame?
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2012, 01:08:22 PM »
Can you sign on with the compromise to move to whole fruits plus non-food treat within 6 months? It gives your pastor face, makes it healthier for the kids and introduces the non-food treat in an unthreatening manner. Sliiiiiide that change in there.