What's for Dinner?

Started by AdminCM, August 18, 2011, 10:09:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

hopechap

Hello everyone.
:bye:

We have finally begun our New Years plan with a week long diet that eliminated all top 8. And includes a green drink in the morning (ghastly thing of bunches of kale, parsely, etc). -- In two days my nostrils cleared and my hideous snoring has subsided. 2 days ! Not sure what causes the congestion -- but no wheat or dairy and minimal sugar really helps. So tonight I had Roast chicken, Ykon gold potatoes mashed but no milk added, asparagus and salad. We started with an avocado and cucumber frappe. I had a spoonful of black currant kanten.

Wish me luck in keeping this up. I want this to be my healthy year ! But man, those green drinks...not yet addicted.

GoingNuts

"Speak out against the madness" - David Crosby
N.E. US

Janelle205

momtoAidenDeclan

Never mistake motion for action. ~~
Ernest Hemingway

DS#1 1/23/2000 - PA
DS#2 10/23/2003 - NKA - Type 1 diabetes
me - environmental and sulfa drug allergies...periods of mystery hives over the years....

hopechap

Oh, I have been so good.

Green drink of the day: cucumber, spinach, avocado, banana

dinner: Vegetable/chicken stirfry with asparagus, cabbage, etc.
            collard greens  :happydance:

dessert: fried asian pears

becca

Hopechapel, is this a doc prescribed elimination, or one on your own?  I wonder if it is the same one my friend asked me to do with her?  Green smoothies were very much a part of the plan.  She is gluten free anyway.  I am diabetic.  I have to watch fruit sugars, and beans spike my BG, if not combined with a non-carb protein.  I just did not think I could do it and be satisfied.  I would have to avoid the quantities of legumes, and grains.  But it was intriguing! 

I am mulling over adding some smoothie into my routine.  Yum, lol!  She makes her kids and dh have one twice a week.  her dd told me it is awful, and my friend says her dh told her it smells like dead people. 

Good luck! 

That avocado one sounds okay, though.
dd with peanut, tree nut and raw egg allergy

hopechap

Becca - this is not a doc prescribed diet. However, I did visit a respected- in- the -fringe circles "healer" of sorts, who advised, among other things, no beef (lamb, chicken turkey ok), no dairy, gluten, sugar, fruit -- and 2x a day chlorophyll. I did his program for one month and felt much better but then events in my life -- like my fam. going to court for guardianship of my 96 yr old mother - and fighting my brother on this -- well, lets say cake and wine were necessary. And the death of two major people in our universe --- Well I am giving you TMI and my excuses -- so I have not revisited since last January.

I started more gently -- I need the fruit (and some beef) to begin with. I am influenced by Kris Karr 's books and website (Crazy Sexy Diet) and an e-book cleanse I bought from Rebecca Wood of Be Nourished.  I do think that the only tolerable way to drink a green drink is to include banana  or apple. UNLESS you do nice savory ones with avocado. A good one :  1 avocado, 1/2 bunch spinach, 1 bunch cilantro, 1 tomato, 2 scallions, 1/2 jalapeno, juice of one lime, salt. These taste a little like a nice gazpacho. I enjoy these rather than just having a chore. Truly - how else can one down this amount of green? Vitamix is expensive -- but a justifiable reason for using a charge card.  You can avoid legumes and whole grains by doing Paleo diet. ( EVen I think the supposition that we should eat like cavemen - a little silly) -- but that diet emphasizes meat and veg. no grains or beans.

I have also renounced coffee. Both my husband and I feel immensely better. But our mood last weekend was just awful.  Caffeine withdrawal and just the bleakness of not having coffee makes me cry. BUT I have been having terrible bowel problems, overweight, aching -- and this has really helped.  Presto! helped.

And, I have to add -- camels milk is supposedly good for diabetics. Some camels milk has been in the mix too.  PRICEY stuff. Risky - pasteurization issues -- but have to add it in here -- however, the CM was not part of this last January, nor were the super green drinks. I was drinking some "liquid chlorophyll" from the healthfood store mixed with water. Minty, not offensive -- but not compelling either. I am wondering if I am more wheat-sensitive than I ever realized.  Not sure EXACTLY what is making the big difference -- but something is.

I am envious that your friend got her child to drink one. Mine would not even do one spoonful in exchange for a hot chocolate chip cookie (and I did not eat one). I wish I could get this in him -- but no self-respecting nine year old would agree to this.

Tonights dinner? I am going to eat out at the Vegan restaurant - boys fending for themselves.
green drink - avocado, parsley, cilantro, lemon juice -- feh.  :disappointed: ;)

becca

Thanks Hope. 

I think I will spring for the vitamix.  Dh did not balk at all when I mentioned it and seems game to try smoothies as "medicine" lol.  Something is better than nothing.

I do visit a diabetes forum and many there eat Paleo-ish, low carb-high fat diet.  Atkins-ish.  They tend to cite a diabetes guru, but it all eliminates all refined carbs, all sugar, most fruit, and is focused on meats, fish, eggs, veggies, nuts, healthy oils, including organic, cold pressed coconut oil.  But it seems so extreme.  I have such a hard time wrapping my head around eating so much fat!  They swear it has helped their cholesterol and triglycerides. 

The smoothie/vegan diets actually seem more balanced and include such a wide variety of fresh, whole foods i think are good for us. 

I can eat some legumes, but not the quantities needed to boost my protein to what I need to feel energetic and sated.  I also have lots of aches and pains, so I always wonder if I should try to do a diet of elimination simply to see if it may be my diet.  Since I have multiple inflammatory conditions, I bet it would help.  I do try to be mindful of things, but it is not the same as truly committing to the diet and eliminating sugars and refined foods entirely.  I find I always fall off on weekends, or if we travel or visit family etc...  Then i am slow to get back to neign "good."

Like you, with your stresses.  I have gained 10 solid pounds since my dad died almost a year ago. 

Macabre

Last night a curry that was a but too hot, even for me. It was great for lunch though. I added some sour cream.

It was a yummy combination:
Potatoes
Garbanzos
Carrots
Poblano
Red bell pepper
Coconut milk
Yogurt.
Craisins

The yogurt and coconut were added when trying to cool it down and turn down the bitterness.

No idea about tonight. DS was to have theatre until 5:00 and choreography theatre rehearsal at 7.  He was just going to walk across the street to the coffee shop to do homework and then to the pizza place for dinner. DH and I were going to a school meeting that's been moved now.

So idk.
Me: Sesame, shellfish, chamomile, sage
DS: Peanuts

becca

McC, what do you use for your curry part of it? 

hopechap

Becca - get that machine. We can have a what did you green drink today thread !  Rebecca Woods cleansing diet (ebook on her website) eliminated top 8 allergens -- not a true and thorough elimination diet -- but a decent start. I am wondering if I have food sensitivites afterall - I did produce an FA child with asthma.  My sister thinks that if I had not been the farm baby - rolling in the mud with my pig and being pecked on the forehead by rooster - I would have been allergic too .

If you HATE the drinks you can make nice veggie soups with the vitamix.  :yes:.

becca

Here is the site my friend sent to me. 

http://www.nourishingmeals.com/p/elimination-diet.html

Maybe you will find some good smoothie recipes.  I saw a salmon quinoa burger one I want to try.  LOL, RECIPE, not a smoothie, hehe.

Janelle205

I feel bad about this after all the healthy stuff that everyone else has posted...

Steak
Creamed spinach mashed potatoes
Steamed mixed veggies

hopechap

I love your dinners Janelle205. And I only get to read them.

Just add a glass of green pond water and you can be healthy too  :P

I had beef stew and a salad tonight.

(I'll post my green drinks in Beccas new thread)

Macabre

Me: Sesame, shellfish, chamomile, sage
DS: Peanuts

Quick Reply

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 365 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name:
Email:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image

Type the letters shown in the picture:
Spell the answer to 6 + 7 =:
Please spell spammer backwards:
Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview