FAS has upgraded our forum security. Some members may need to log in again. If you are unable to remember your login information, please email food.allergy.supt@flash.net and we will help you get back in. Thanks for your patience!

Author Topic: Royal Caribbean Cruises  (Read 1773 times)

Description:

Offline SweetandSour

Royal Caribbean Cruises
« on: November 14, 2012, 12:11:16 PM »
Anyone been on one? The price for a cruise isn't so bad, and I was curious if anyone had good or bad experiences with them?
Allergic to: Peanuts, Tree nuts, Mango, Robitussin, Acetaminophen

U.S.A.

Not only do I not know what's going on, I wouldn't know what to do about it if I did.
~George Carlin

twocents

Re: Royal Caribbean Cruises
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2012, 09:55:22 AM »
No info. on RC cruises, but my child had an anaphylactic reaction on a Disney Cruise.  It was likely cross-contamination with some food - we had been very careful eating only basic, unseasoned meet, plain potato and steamed veggies.  The only outlier was a sorbet they "specially" made for my son.  I would caution going on any cruise if the allergy is severe.  It's awfully had to deal with a life-threatening emergency while at sea.

Offline chase

« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2012, 10:08:27 AM »
We went on a Royal Caribbean Cruise about 6 yrs ago.  My son is PA only.  We have a tight comfort zone.  The kitchen was wonderful to us.  My son always ordered his dinner the night before.  Every night they made him a special dessert.  We never let him have desserts at restaurants, but felt very comfortable with the kitchen.  I brought lots of non-parishables for when we were off of the ship in different ports of call.  We had no worries ( beyond the normal ones when he eats away from home).
I would go on another Royal Caribbean Cruise.  Just contact dinning services before you book, before you depart, and first thing when you board.

Offline CookieMomster

« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2012, 07:38:48 AM »
We had a vert good experience with Royal Caribbean.  DS was about 8 at the time, and has multiple FA.   We did not eat at the buffets, only in the dining room where he was always served personally by the head waiter.  There is always an option (even if not on the menu) for simply prepared food (baked chicken, steamed veggies, potatoes, fruit, jello, etc., which is what he mostly ordered.  We were pleasantly suprised that the sourdough dinner rolls were safe, and DS loved them. 

Like chase, we brought packaged snacks like beef jerky, chips, fruit cups, cereal, rice drink, pop-tarts, etc. to take with us when we left the ship at the various ports of call.  We didn't want to take a chance on the island foods.

We cleaned all the surfaces in our cabin with wipes, and brought our own toiletries and a soap dispenser for the sink.
DS (16) - NKA
DS (12) - milk, eggs, peanuts, tree nuts, sesame, cherries, and watermelon.  (Outgrew corn, wheat, soy, peas, and green beans.)
Environmental allergies to mold, trees and grasses. 
OAS to almost all fresh fruit and vegetables except citrus and grapes