Good egg substitute for cornbread?

Started by Mookie86, November 15, 2012, 06:20:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mookie86

I don't normally bake, so I'm not familiar with which egg subsitutes work well in baking.  I'm using a cornbread mix, and the recipe calls for adding 1 egg, 1/2 cup oil, and 3/4 cup milk.  What do you think I should use as an egg substitute?  I'm not sure whether it'd be better to use 1/4 c applesauce, 2 tablespoons oil and 1 tablespoon of water, or something else?

I pulled those two substitute options that I mentioned from an egg substitute chart.

Macabre

Are you you out of eggs? Or are you trying to cook for someone with an egg allergy?
Me: Sesame, shellfish, chamomile, sage
DS: Peanuts

becca

I used to use energy egg replacer.  But I *think* I have done corn bread with no eggs or sub, other than the liquid.  I hate to promise you, but I think I did it that way.  It has baking powder for leavening, right?  Go a little heavy on the oil for the added moisture you get from yolk.
dd with peanut, tree nut and raw egg allergy

GoingNuts

Maybe some buttermilk?  I'm not familiar with eggless-baking, but buttermilk might also give the richness and moisture that eggs give.
"Speak out against the madness" - David Crosby
N.E. US

Mookie86

Quote from: Macabre on November 16, 2012, 06:20:58 AM
Are you you out of eggs? Or are you trying to cook for someone with an egg allergy?

I'm going to a vegan Thanksgiving celebration, so that's why I don't want to use egg.  With all of the egg allergies here at FAS, I figured it was a good place to ask this question.

A couple of vegan friends so far have advised using Ener-G egg replacer or bananas.  I heard the Ener-G can make it kinda dry, and I don't know how a little banana flavor would go with cornbread.

I'm making the cornbread Saturday morning, so any advice through that time would be great!

twinturbo

CMdeux

We've definitely used flaxseed meal.

I like that best in cornbread; without gluten, it really needs a BINDER to hold together well, and the egg replacer tends to make things kinda dry, I agree.

Resistance isn't futile.  It's voltage divided by current. 

Western U.S.

rebekahc

I've used gelatin (if you know of a vegetarian/vegan one) in cornbread with pretty good results. I think it was 1T gelatin + 3T warm water = one egg.
TX - USA
DS - peanut, tree nut, milk, eggs, corn, soy, several meds, many environmentals. Finally back on Xolair!
DD - mystery anaphylaxis, shellfish.
DH - banana/avocado, aspirin.  Asthma.
Me - peanut, tree nut, shellfish, banana/avocado/latex,  some meds.

Mookie86

I ended up making a pumpkin bread, and it fell apart.  However, the crumbled pieces are yummy!  dh is at the store now buying something that we can bring.

I made pumpkin bread because I didn't have the right size pan for the cornbread.  The cornbread mix called for 8x8 pan, while the pumpkin bread mix uses 9x5 pan.

I didn't have ground flaxseed in the house, so I used applesauce as an egg substitute.  The pumpkin bread mix called for 2 eggs, so I used 1/2 cup applesauce.  That didn't work to hold it together, and it fell apart when I tried to slice it.  It's still delicious, though!

Macabre

Me: Sesame, shellfish, chamomile, sage
DS: Peanuts

Janelle205

Quick Reply

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 365 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name:
Email:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image

Type the letters shown in the picture:
Please spell spammer backwards:
Three blonde, blue-eyed siblings are named Suzy, Jack and Bill.  What color hair does the sister have?:
Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview