FAS has upgraded our forum security. Some members may need to log in again. If you are unable to remember your login information, please email food.allergy.supt@flash.net and we will help you get back in. Thanks for your patience!

Author Topic: "Real World" FA and schools  (Read 3029 times)

Description: note the sponsors

twinturbo

"Real World" FA and schools
« on: November 28, 2012, 05:30:51 PM »
http://youtu.be/Syj3FKGWbZs

It started off with the phrasing "bubble" but it has some good stuff otherwise.

Then starting at 12 minute mark we have nurse and doctor starting in about "false sense of security".

You know for a bunch of med professionals who keep citing "evidence based, science based, not emotional based" they really don't seem to read many studies or concede FAPE.

Food allergies and anaphylaxis are on rise, as are peanut-free schools, baseball parks and airplanes. But is it possible or medically recommended to isolate food-allergic children from killer proteins? This hot topic is spicing up communities throughout the U.S. and Internet forums. As the pendulum swings from irrational fear to the blatantly cavalier, school-aged kids with food allergies are left hanging in the balance.
In this show hosted by Dana Wallace, MD, allergist and President, American College of Allergy Asthma & Immunology, a mom of two children with food allergies, a school principal, school psychologist and school nurse tackle hot topics like "peanut-free" tables, and how to know whether a child is ready to self-administer auto-injectable epinephrine, the only drug that reverses an anaphylactic episode.

This internet broadcast is part of the Anaphylaxis Community Experts program, (ACEs) and national award winning initiative developed by Allergy & Asthma Network Mothers of Asthmatics (AANMA) in partnership with the American College of Allergy, Asthma and Immunology to raise awareness, reduce anxiety and eliminate deaths due to anaphylaxis through education, advocacy and outreach. This program is sponsored by Mylan Specialty L.P.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2012, 05:49:12 PM by twinturbo »

Offline Mfamom

• Committee Member Hermes
Re: "Real World" FA and schools
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2012, 09:19:51 AM »
didn't watch the video, but this "real world" gig is where schools are headed.  I heard Real World a bunch of times in my last 504 meeting and i thought that if I heard it again I'd throttle the nurse.

Real World the phrase really irritates me.

When People Show You Who They Are, Believe Them.  The First Time.

Committee Member Hermes

Offline CMdeux

• Global Moderator
  • -- but sometimes the voices have good ideas!
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2012, 10:23:00 AM »
Well, my response to it has never changed-- and it seems to be highly effective.

Yes, I agree.  I would like for my child to have the same degree of AUTONOMY and AUTHORITY that she will be afforded in the real world, as well.  I'm so glad that we agree that my child will be allowed to: a) leave without explanation when she feels that she is in an unsafe location, b) remove herself from any activity, location, or group which poses either physical or psychological risk to her.  She will be making her OWN decisions about all aspects of management while she is under the school's care.  I'm so glad that we understand one another. 

Oh, of COURSE this doesn't attenuate the school's LEGAL obligation re: duty of care.  They've basically decided that whatever my CHILD decides is going to get their backing from a liability standpoint, and they'll have whatever legal exposure SHE determines...  hope she chooses wisely, don't you??

But that's their problem, not mine.   :evil:  It's what they've asked for.

Resistance isn't futile.  It's voltage divided by current. 

Western U.S.

twinturbo

« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2012, 10:36:05 AM »
I'm using this as a hostile 504 training simulator for DH. Who you have here is a parent, a principal, a school nurse, some not readily identified doctor and I'm unsure of the moderator I need to finish watching in its entirety.

What is noticeably absent from the round table is any sort of legal representation of FAPE and 504. So essentially there's a biased bureaucratic group narrative claiming to want to gut emotional response yet say "I feel that..." instead of acknowledging access to education, FAPE, associated responsibilities of school by Dept of Education regulations, all of which would be unemotional.

Anyhow, I think this works great as a 504 training simulator to anticipate arguments, stallings, vague citations as they relate to variety of sources and procedural safeguards.

The other note to add here is that it is sponsored by Mylan.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2012, 10:50:27 AM by twinturbo »

Offline Linden

« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2012, 01:26:28 PM »
Wow.  Talk about slanted.  I hate it when ads masquerade as science. 
DS TNA/EA, avocado, environmentals, asthma

Offline Macabre

• Global Moderator
  • Don't Blink!
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2012, 12:23:43 PM »
I'm wondering if we can pull some of the content related to this topic from your thread Mfamom--even if it needs to be cleaned up a bit to remove particulars if you need. 

I think this is a great and important topic that we need to be able to respond to. as more and more of the kids here are reaching high school, this is going to be more of an issue for us.  Sadly.
Me: Sesame, shellfish, chamomile, sage
DS: Peanuts

Offline Ra3chel

« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2012, 10:25:19 PM »
That "real world" argument makes me crazy. And I'm not even a parent.

I mean, all of your kids will presumably someday need to drive cars safely, too, but I'd just as soon they didn't start in elementary school, KWIM? See also: sex, jobs involving dangerous chemicals and equipment, cooking with full acces to kitchens with faulty wiring (I mean, after all, they may only be able to afford crummy apartments with iffy smoke detectors, and to not get them used to it now would give them a false sense of security, amirite?).

Oh, and some kids grow up to be soldiers. Let me tell you, if you have guns in your house and lock them away, you're just coddling them and preventing them from developing a proper sense of personal responsibility.

:rant:
The 3 is silent.

Offline SilverLining

« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2012, 07:26:09 AM »
I'm with you Ra3chel.

I've used the example of walking a child to school.  keeping them safe and teaching them how to eventually cross streets themselves.  People walk their kids to school for years, yet think an fa child should know how to keep themselves safe from an invisible threat from a very young age.

Offline maeve

« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2012, 08:31:33 AM »
I'm with you Ra3chel.

I've used the example of walking a child to school.  keeping them safe and teaching them how to eventually cross streets themselves.  People walk their kids to school for years, yet think an fa child should know how to keep themselves safe from an invisible threat from a very young age.

SL, I use the same example too.  I think it's one people can relate to.  Nobody would ever think of allowing a first (or even third) grader to cross a busy, dangerous street on their own but somehow a kindergarten student is supposed to know how to read labels and care for themselves.  Schools usually have crossing guards posted to help kids cross the street safely and the adults in a FA student's life fulfill the same purpose.  Now, when we get into MS and HS age, there are staff and guidance counselors there to guide children on making responsible choices, an FA teen needs that same guidance about their allergy.  It's not direct intervention at that point the way it was when the child is younger, but it's about helping to keep the teen on the right track (as school staff would do with other moral and safety issues).  And that's what this is, a safety issue.
"Oh, I'm such an unholy mess of a girl."

USA-Virginia
DD allergic to peanuts, tree nuts, and egg; OAS to cantaloupe and cucumber

Offline Jessica

« Reply #9 on: December 08, 2012, 04:25:54 PM »
That "real world" argument makes me crazy. And I'm not even a parent.

I mean, all of your kids will presumably someday need to drive cars safely, too, but I'd just as soon they didn't start in elementary school, KWIM? See also: sex, jobs involving dangerous chemicals and equipment, cooking with full acces to kitchens with faulty wiring (I mean, after all, they may only be able to afford crummy apartments with iffy smoke detectors, and to not get them used to it now would give them a false sense of security, amirite?).

Oh, and some kids grow up to be soldiers. Let me tell you, if you have guns in your house and lock them away, you're just coddling them and preventing them from developing a proper sense of personal responsibility.

:rant:

Best argument to the "real world" theory I've ever seen.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2012, 04:29:11 PM by Jessica »
USA
DD18-PA/TNA
DD16 and DS14-NKA

Offline Jessica

« Reply #10 on: December 08, 2012, 04:27:52 PM »
I'm with you Ra3chel.

And to top it off, a threat that is so prevalent and that many adults (teachers included) don't seem to "get" and seem to want to "test".
USA
DD18-PA/TNA
DD16 and DS14-NKA