Do you still trust Kroger brand?

Started by Jessica, December 06, 2012, 02:11:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jessica

I called today about some worcestershire sauce and the first csr I got was very unhelpful. First I told her what I had and that I needed to find out if it was made in a shared facility and she said "no guarantee". I asked if she could find out and she just kept repeating "no guarantee" over and over. I asked to speak with someone else and she hung up on me. I called back and got a very helpful csr but she said there is no way to even find out if the facility had nuts or not, and that Kroger no longer consistently labels for may contains and that it varied depending on who makes the item. So I guess if there's a warning, you can believe it, but if there's no warning, it doesn't mean that it's made in a ____ free facility. She said the manufacturers will not certify (which is typical, I think) but could not even tell me or find out if there are peanuts/tree nuts in the facility where the worcestershire sauce is made and said even if she could, it may not always be correct info (since they may make nut items for part of the year only or something).

So this reinforces my feelings about generics (other than Great Value) and I will not be buying them anymore. I guess I will make our own worcestershire sauce somehow if I want to avoid anchovy (my kids have never had it and have never had any opportunity to).
USA
DD18-PA/TNA
DD16 and DS14-NKA

YouKnowWho

I have noticed inconsistent labeling from them for years regarding gluten.  And frankly even prior to allergies, was never happy with the quality of their products.

But I also notice things like Kroger's jellybeans that are labeled free of everything are really Gimballs in disguise (much the way TJ's labels Sunbutter as their own).

Regarding store brands, I still do buy somethings that are low risk for our allergies.
DS1 - Wheat, rye, barley and egg
DS2 - peanuts
DD -  tree nuts, soy and sunflower
Me - bananas, eggplant, many drugs
Southeast USA

Macabre

Me: Sesame, shellfish, chamomile, sage
DS: Peanuts

CMdeux

Quote from: YouKnowWho on December 07, 2012, 02:00:09 PM
I have noticed inconsistent labeling from them for years regarding gluten.  And frankly even prior to allergies, was never happy with the quality of their products.

But I also notice things like Kroger's jellybeans that are labeled free of everything are really Gimballs in disguise (much the way TJ's labels Sunbutter as their own).

Regarding store brands, I still do buy somethings that are low risk for our allergies.

"Kroger" = "Safeway" out here in the west-- and yes.  To all of the above.

If I can see, side-by-side, that the packaging, sizes, and ingredients list is IDENTICAL to another name-brand product, I tend to trust the Safeway brand as much as the name-brand.

But I've also uncovered a few disquieting anomolies this way-- things I'd have been MUCH, MUCH happier not knowing.  Like that a Kellogg's product is run on shared lines.  But doesn't SAY so.  In Kellogg's packaging, that is; the warning is there clear as day in the Safeway version.  YIPES.

Resistance isn't futile.  It's voltage divided by current. 

Western U.S.

rebekahc

Are you sure Kroger = Safeway?  Here Kroger and Safeway are two separate parent companies.  They each have several banners under their umbrella, but they are not the same.  Safeway = Randalls and Tom Thumb and Kroger = Kroger here, but Ralph's, King Sooper, Fred Meyer, etc. elsewhere.

If they are indeed two separate companies, then I think it's important to note that each has inconsistent labeling.
TX - USA
DS - peanut, tree nut, milk, eggs, corn, soy, several meds, many environmentals. Finally back on Xolair!
DD - mystery anaphylaxis, shellfish.
DH - banana/avocado, aspirin.  Asthma.
Me - peanut, tree nut, shellfish, banana/avocado/latex,  some meds.

rebekahc

Quote from: CMdeux on December 10, 2012, 10:26:28 PM
But I've also uncovered a few disquieting anomolies this way-- things I'd have been MUCH, MUCH happier not knowing.  Like that a Kellogg's product is run on shared lines.  But doesn't SAY so.  In Kellogg's packaging, that is; the warning is there clear as day in the Safeway version.  YIPES.

Yes, THIS.  I often compare the "identical" store brand to the name brand just to see.  Kellogg's is the worst about not labeling for contamination yet the store brand does.  And, usually, the store brand will list contamination of the exact ingredients from another flavor of the same product.  Like Special K bars.  Kellogg's says they're fine, but Great Value brand (WalMart) lists nut contamination and the nuts listed are the exact nuts in other flavors of Special K bars even though Great Value doesn't carry any of the nut flavors.  Hmmmm....
TX - USA
DS - peanut, tree nut, milk, eggs, corn, soy, several meds, many environmentals. Finally back on Xolair!
DD - mystery anaphylaxis, shellfish.
DH - banana/avocado, aspirin.  Asthma.
Me - peanut, tree nut, shellfish, banana/avocado/latex,  some meds.

SweetandSour

They used to be so helpful,but we stopped too. I use some basic things that I have always used from them. I know things change,but they are pretty low risk for my.comfort zone.
Allergic to: Peanuts, Tree nuts, Mango, Robitussin, Acetaminophen

U.S.A.

Not only do I not know what's going on, I wouldn't know what to do about it if I did.
~George Carlin

CMdeux

Quote from: rebekahc on December 11, 2012, 08:23:44 AM
Quote from: CMdeux on December 10, 2012, 10:26:28 PM

Yes, THIS.  I often compare the "identical" store brand to the name brand just to see.  Kellogg's is the worst about not labeling for contamination yet the store brand does.  And, usually, the store brand will list contamination of the exact ingredients from another flavor of the same product.  Like Special K bars.  Kellogg's says they're fine, but Great Value brand (WalMart) lists nut contamination and the nuts listed are the exact nuts in other flavors of Special K bars even though Great Value doesn't carry any of the nut flavors.  Hmmmm....

That's the exact product I was thinking of, all right.

I'm pretty sure that there is some overlap in supply chain for a LOT of different store brands regionally, and it gets confusing in a hurry to try to figure out which store is which company and where.  For example, Safeway also = Von's in SoCal.

We don't have Kroger in most regions in the west, but the product lineup and policies are completely identical with Safeway.  Since I used to work for one of these companies during the late 80's, in the middle of acquisition frenzy....

it's entirely possible that this is one of those situations like Pillsbury/General Mills.    Or Keebler/Kelloggs.  KWIM?

Different regions may well retain individual divisions that are more or less stand-alone, but share basic supply chain for in-house brands.

It may be that I'm thinking of Fred Meyer and not Safeway-- but in any event, both have store brands with <ahem>  "uneven" labeling practices.

Which burns my britches like NOTHING else.  I mean, either tell me that you don't label for XC, or actually DO label for it.  Don't make medical decisions for me (you know, like how much contamination risk is "okay" and how much is "not okay"), thanks.

Resistance isn't futile.  It's voltage divided by current. 

Western U.S.

YouKnowWho

I predominately shop at Publix.  I see some store labeling that is fabulous.  Bob's Sweet Stripes are bagged under their brand name and has very clear labeling that indicates it is safe.  However the rebagged Smarties next to it has no such labeling.  In dealing with another allergy, I called on it.  Found out its on shared lines with peanuts.  I see other examples in the store, stuff to good to be true.  But no warnings that oh by the way when you call, is too good to be true.

Inconsistent labeling is going to lead to a fatal mistake.  Say what you will about Walmart and over labeling, I will be eternally grateful to them for being consistent in their labeling.
DS1 - Wheat, rye, barley and egg
DS2 - peanuts
DD -  tree nuts, soy and sunflower
Me - bananas, eggplant, many drugs
Southeast USA

Quick Reply

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 365 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name:
Email:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image

Type the letters shown in the picture:
Please spell spammer backwards:
Spell the answer to 6 + 7 =:
Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview