FAS has upgraded our forum security. Some members may need to log in again. If you are unable to remember your login information, please email food.allergy.supt@flash.net and we will help you get back in. Thanks for your patience!

Author Topic: Hidden Cost to Families of Food Allergies  (Read 1955 times)

Description: From ABC News

Offline GoingNuts

"Speak out against the madness" - David Crosby
N.E. US

Offline CMdeux

• Global Moderator
  • -- but sometimes the voices have good ideas!
Re: Hidden Cost to Families of Food Allergies
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2012, 10:37:37 AM »
We participated in this study.

(Though I suspect that our data may have been excluded from the final because of my earning potential.)

Resistance isn't futile.  It's voltage divided by current. 

Western U.S.

Offline SkyRibbons

« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2012, 09:46:03 PM »
We all already know this.

My big thing is working a part-time job close to my house, as opposed to not so close or a better job, so I could be at the school for all those parties and field trips.

And good thing I was there for some of these things.  Mistakes were made.

Offline GoingNuts

« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2012, 09:47:57 PM »
I hear you, SR.  Completely.
"Speak out against the madness" - David Crosby
N.E. US

twinturbo

« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2012, 11:12:44 AM »
Copy that, SkyRibbons. I'm pretty sure DH participated in this study mainly because we have multiple MFA kids and the indirect collateral cost is astronomical without it qualifying as a deductible medical expense--that would be a start. It's also hit me that this creates a position that only in the most superficial sense resembles the circumstances of a self selective SAHM in contrast to a severely MFA/atopic/asthmatic child who requires full time preventative and catastrophic medical care around the clock. That's my responsibility as a parent to overcome but if it were financially recognized as the disability it is we could recoup the same tax relief other conditions with hard medical mediating devices or treatments have available.

Yes, disability law sides with the autoimmune disabled individuals but when the actuarial charts don't favor a kid surviving a place meeting minimal accommodations you deal with reality in my case closing the door on my grad school opportunities or a job that led to a solid public service career.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2012, 11:14:53 AM by twinturbo »