FAS has upgraded our forum security. Some members may need to log in again. If you are unable to remember your login information, please email food.allergy.supt@flash.net and we will help you get back in. Thanks for your patience!

Author Topic: 1/3 of food-allergic kids bullied  (Read 1844 times)

Description:

Offline CMdeux

• Global Moderator
  • -- but sometimes the voices have good ideas!
1/3 of food-allergic kids bullied
« on: December 28, 2012, 07:12:17 PM »
This won't be a big surprise-- and the results are nearly identical to what an earlier study found.  So.

Kids With Food Allergies Targets for Bullies

Of course, reading some of the comments sections at national media outlets re: this story... I think I know where the childhood bullies are learning it from...  seriously I do NOT recommend reading those unless you need to elevate your blood pressure a bit.   :-/
Resistance isn't futile.  It's voltage divided by current. 

Western U.S.

twinturbo

Re: 1/3 of food-allergic kids bullied
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2012, 08:11:58 PM »
We're already in the top slot for racial bullying so my blood pressure is already up on that subject. Complete with coded messages from public school principles warning me of their "homogenous" student population could mean lots of bullying they'd never catch. I mean we wouldn't want to look at why your students are in an environment like that let's just keep ourselves out of your homogeneity for "our" safety. Sorry for the impromptu vent, that one burned me but good.

Offline CMdeux

• Global Moderator
  • -- but sometimes the voices have good ideas!
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2012, 01:55:50 PM »
I'm frankly astonished that the OCR and DOJ seemingly refuse to see how such things are a "hostile" environment in EVERY sense of the word.  It's a class complaint waiting to happen-- but it probably never will, since we have had a national advocacy organization telling us for decades that "not rocking the boat" and "doing whatever you can to get along" with administrators is the way to PROPERLY manage in a school environment...

If 30% of children with cochlear impants were being BULLIED and threatened on the basis of that difference...  surely-- surely this would warrant some sort of national advisory to schools.  Wouldn't it??  So why doesn't THIS? 

The other thing that disheartens me so thoroughly about this study is that the results are NO DIFFERENT than those done nearly a decade ago.  There has evidently been no progress on this front.  None.   :disappointed:

Resistance isn't futile.  It's voltage divided by current. 

Western U.S.

Offline Macabre

• Global Moderator
  • Don't Blink!
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2012, 08:16:00 PM »
OCR doesn't do a good job of dealing with people who have been bullied--even in the extreme sense. There's a college rape case that they've acted abysmally on. 

Shameful. 
Me: Sesame, shellfish, chamomile, sage
DS: Peanuts