login
FAS has upgraded our forum security. Some members may need to log in again. If you are unable to remember your login information, please email food.allergy.supt@flash.net and we will help you get back in. Thanks for your patience!

Author Topic: Kitchenaid  (Read 2995 times)

Description: Worth it?

Offline Ra3chel

Kitchenaid
« on: January 02, 2013, 01:01:03 PM »
Found this model on sale for $199. Worth it?
http://www.shopkitchenaid.com/countertop-appliances-1/stand-mixers-3/-[KSM95AC]-400129/KSM95AC/
The 3 is silent.

Offline nameless

Re: Kitchenaid
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2013, 03:59:51 PM »
4.5 quart at 300 watt motor...

nope. You will be frustrated even making pizza dough in it. It's a small bowl and that motor is not powerful. 

I see the price as $299 ---

instead...go to Costco and get this puppy

http://www.costco.com/KitchenAid%C2%AE-Professional-5.5-Qt-Mixer-.product.100007617.html

You can surely find someone with a membership? If not, they do these 60-day free trials :)

5.5 quart (yes the extra quart makes a difference!) and the 575W motor is a power-house...POWER. HOUSE. It's awesome. I love this mixer. It'll crank through a double-loaf of semi-whole bread with little effort :)

Adrienne
40+ years dealing with:
Allergies: peanut, most treenuts, shrimp
New England

Offline Jessica

« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2013, 04:41:03 PM »
I have the 4.5 qt tilt head that is 375 watts and have never had a problem with it mixing anything. I don't make bread with it though, so I can't comment on that. But it does thick cookie dough easily and dh's recipe uses 4.5 cups of flour.

I think that $199 deal was through groupon (which is evil imo-they like to make fun of food allergies) but it's expired now.
USA
DD18-PA/TNA
DD16 and DS14-NKA

Offline Mfamom

• Global Moderator
  • Committee Member Hermes
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2013, 09:01:33 AM »
I still hate my ka mixer.  I keep wishing it would blow up so I can have a reason to buy a different one.  LOL
I used it over the holidays.  as usual, spent most of my time scraping the sides, stopping starting.  thinking i had everything mixed, then there is of course the dry ingredients sitting in the very bottom of the bowl under the mixed stuff. 
Everyone raves about this mixer, I don't understand it one bit.  Its clunky, heavy and everything is stuck on the beater, on the sides of the bowl.  It never mixes in the stuff at the very bottom.  Hate it. 
When People Show You Who They Are, Believe Them.  The First Time.

Committee Member Hermes

Offline PurpleCat

« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2013, 06:17:56 PM »
Have you tried other blades?  My mom bought me a non kitchen aid blade at some kitchen store that is made for these mixers and it is surrounded by rubber scraper material and it scrapes while it mixes!!!!  I no longer have any unmixed ingredients.

I will say I won't mix 10X sugar with it though.  It's so tight to the sides of the bowl that it sends sugar signals across my kitchen!

Offline momma2boys

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2013, 06:36:09 PM »
If you hate it that much you could sell it easily I'm sure, either ebay or Craigslist, then buy a new one.
peanut, treenut, sesame
Northeast, US

Offline catelyn

• typing is not exercise
    • my diy blog
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2013, 03:10:41 PM »
I used my m other's vintage Sunbeam mixer for years and the KA is the hands down winner.  If you think stuff sticks to the single blade in it, ha.  The Sunbeam was HORRID and had two blades that were IMPOSSIBLE to clean. 

I have the costco one.  Its awesome.  I think I got it for $249.  When they have a sale on it, its a great price.

Offline becca

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2013, 09:14:01 AM »
Mfamom, having dry bits unmixed is an adjustment issue.  I recall when mine was new this is addressed in the manual.  it has to do with how low the beater goes into the bowl, and can be adjusted.  Something about my mixer(about 9-10 years old now) seems a bit loose, and I had this happen for the very fist time ever, with a very stiff cookie dough.  But never before.  I am sure I need to service or adjust something after th e10 years of heavy use i have got out of it. 

Ra3, I love my kitechenaid mixer.  it has the 4.5 quart bowl and is 375 watts, called the "artisan" on the side of the machine.  I got it on sale about 10 years ago at Macy's.  There was a sale, then an additional % off and a rebate going on.  You can watch for those deals at your local retail stores, I am sure. 

I usually use it for very thick cookie dough, and even mix in my chips on it.  I have done a pizza dough a few times, but honestly, mostly do cookies.  At the holidays, I will mix as many as 3 batches in a day. 

It is heavy, and I cannot fit it under any cabinets.  I was burning through a hand held mixer yearly at the time, so it has paid for itself.  I do not have to do much scraping at all.  Sometimes, with a wetter dough, but not much with my cookies.  Once th eflour gets in there, it grabs the sticking batter off the sides and mixes it in.  I have weak hands and some arthritic issues in my hands and this is a must for me t have if i want to bake for the kids. 

I love it! 
dd with peanut, tree nut and raw egg allergy

Offline Jessica

« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2013, 02:07:41 PM »
Have you tried other blades?  My mom bought me a non kitchen aid blade at some kitchen store that is made for these mixers and it is surrounded by rubber scraper material and it scrapes while it mixes!!!!  I no longer have any unmixed ingredients.

I will say I won't mix 10X sugar with it though.  It's so tight to the sides of the bowl that it sends sugar signals across my kitchen!
I've seen those at the kitchen store and at amazon and want one. Thanks for the tip about powdered sugar. I'll have to remember that since I do make frosting in my KA.
USA
DD18-PA/TNA
DD16 and DS14-NKA