Ham salad?

Started by becca, January 07, 2013, 07:56:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

becca

I have a lot of leftover ham.  I have never made this.  Any favorite recipes?  We generally have ordinary sandwiches, and I make a pea soup.  But this is tons of ham, so I need to get creative.  Froze some for the soup at a later date.  Might also do a quiche. 

Got it for a steal over the holidays!

ETA:  Tried to whip up a basic attempt.  went a bit heavy on the Dijon, and you cannot put that genie back in the bottle.  But it is good. Dh uses only Dijon on a sandwich, so he will not mind it.  I was looking for a sweeter taste, in my mind. Couple of hard boiled eggs, a bit of celery, Dijon mustard, sweet pickle relish, mayo, minced celery. 

It's ok.  Not sure I like it *better* than a simple sandwich with ham and a little mayo, lol.  The hard boiled eggs do give it something. 
dd with peanut, tree nut and raw egg allergy

becca

Mezzo

I just grind it with my Kitchenaid meat grinder (nicer texture than just food processor) and mix it with chopped dill pickle and Miracle Whip.  My daughter and I LOVE the stuff.  I thought it was a peculiarly Midwestern thing, though! :)  Tina Fey makes a bit of fun of it in her book. 

Hard-boiled eggs sound like a marvelous addition.  I'll have to try that.

becca

Thanks.  I did not grind it, but finely chopped/minced with a knife.  I was thinking the food processor would overdo it.  I do think the eggs make it, but I *am* a big egg salad fan. 

I bet it is a Midwest thing, since I have never made it, my family has never made it, and I have never encountered it at a party, lol.  Always lived in the greater Boston area. 

Dh says his mom used to make it.  She is from Ohio, Dayton area, I think.  And central NY in married/family life.  He remembers a grinder. 

Quick Reply

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 365 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name:
Email:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image

Type the letters shown in the picture:
Three blonde, blue-eyed siblings are named Suzy, Jack and Bill.  What color hair does the sister have?:
Please spell spammer backwards:
Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview