imagelogin
FAS has upgraded our forum security. Some members may need to log in again. If you are unable to remember your login information, please email food.allergy.supt@flash.net and we will help you get back in. Thanks for your patience!

Author Topic: Vanilla Buttercream Frosting  (Read 1495 times)

Description: Perfect!

Offline GoingNuts

Vanilla Buttercream Frosting
« on: January 13, 2013, 06:56:00 PM »
How many years have I been making this stuff, right?  And I've always found it too sweet, no matter what I did.  Until tonight.

I had made a Devil's Food Cake for DS's birthday, and he wanted vanilla frosting.  Since I used buttermilk for the cake, I decided to experiment and use it in place of milk or half and half to thin the frosting.  ZZZOmigod, it is amazing!  Took away that too-sweetness that I always taste, even though I salt it.  And gave it a super-smooth, fluffy texture for spreading.  I wish I could work with it tonight while it's fresh, but alas I have to keep it until tomorrow.  We'll see how it does after being in the fridge overnight.
"Speak out against the madness" - David Crosby
N.E. US

Offline nameless

Re: Vanilla Buttercream Frosting
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2013, 07:22:21 PM »
ah yes, I know that secret :D

Other things  you can do is 1-2TB of softened cream cheese (any more than that and you'll get cream cheese taste) --- mix the cream cheese and butter first together both at room temp (or the cream cheese even nuked a little til really soft).

Another is to use half butter half marscapone cheese --- the slight tangy of the marscapone will take away the sweet of the sugar.
40+ years dealing with:
Allergies: peanut, most treenuts, shrimp
New England