Living with Food Allergies, 2013 and on

Started by ajasfolks2, February 03, 2013, 01:30:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GoingNuts

The mold has definitely been a problem for me. Yesterday we had lots of melting, and I had a really raw throat, bad headache and burning eyes. I was sure I was getting sick, but then later in the evening when the temperature dropped I was fine.  Im sure it was the mold.
"Speak out against the madness" - David Crosby
N.E. US

hezzier

Today was the last swim practice of the fall/winter season so was a fun practice with a slice of pizza to finish it off.  Of course, I was caught off guard, but a quick call to the pizza place confirmed that it was safe for DS.  I let one of his coaches know that he could have a piece.  However, I did not tell DD that it was safe so she started freaking out when she saw DS with a piece of pizza from a place she's never heard of.  Love that she was looking out for her brother!

SilverLining

ajasfolks2

So frustrated to see the same rehashed converstations on Facebook about LTFA and schools and no 504 and Epipens locked up and schools demanding that parents sign release for all med records and the same sh** new day.

How many years have we been discussing these same isues?

Can feel the bile rising.

:banghead:
Is this where I blame iPhone and cuss like an old fighter pilot's wife?

**(&%@@&%$^%$#^%$#$*&      LOL!!   

ninjaroll

Yeah those Peanot Butter cups are a little too real looking.  It's freaking me out to watch it being eaten.

LinksEtc

Was thinking that most of dd's allergy stuff was pretty stable at this point ... was trying to back off from this allergy stuff & then like a bad joke tonight ...

dd gets hives on her face after I let her try "Cinnamon Apple Spice" tea ...

I took a pic for Dr-FA-Yoda & I'll bring the box to the appt.  What do you want to bet it's going to be another non-top8 ....

some of the ingredients:
Hibiscus
Chamomile
Chicory
Carob
&, of course, "natural flavors"

:pout:

spacecanada

I have found teas to be really bad for cross contamination, actually.  Why did they have to start making hazelnut and almond teas? I saw one with peanut or pecan too.  Ugh!

At the store today and saw what looked like spilt milk on the conveyor.  Had a little freak out then realized I am not actually allergic to milk - duh! (I avoid it because of severe intolerance.) I only had two non-food things and didn't use the conveyor anyway.
ANA peanuts, tree nuts, wheat, potato, sorghum

SilverLining

All the flavoured coffee that I have checked only used artificial nuts. Real ones don't add enough flavour.

LinksEtc

Doesn't McC have a sesame, chamomile, shrimp allergy combo?

Dd has had a few questionable possible shrimp symptoms.

Hmmmm ... coincidence?

I know the drill ... keep an eye on the suspect ingredients ... avoid until appt.

Macabre

Yes she does!

So with chamomile, here's the syllogism:

All chamomile allergic people are also allergic to ragweed, but not all ragweed allergic people are allergic to chamomile.

I don't know that there is a sesame/shrimp/chamomile trifecta.  But if she has a ragweed allergy, chamomile does look a bit suspicious in that lineup.
Me: Sesame, shellfish, chamomile, sage
DS: Peanuts

LinksEtc

Her RAST for ragweed for 2014 was only .15 

Hmmm ...

As always, time will tell.

YK, speaking of jokes ... being 4/1 and all ... & dd has been planning all day how to "get me" ...
I actually asked her if she put marker or makeup on her face!  No.such.luck.

rebekahc

DD is allergic to chicory. We found out when she ate a Fiber One bar - it was the only ingredient she doesn't usually have.

ETA Sounds like chicory and chamomile could be a double-whammy.

QuotePeople who are allergic to daises, ragweed, chrysanthemums and marigolds may be at risk of developing a severe allergic reaction to chicory root extract. Handling or consuming chicory root extract may result in hives, intense itching, shortness of breath, difficulty swallowing, facial swelling, wheezing, dizziness, pale skin or loss of consciousness. If you exhibit any of these side effects, seek emergency medical care. In the absence of prompt medical intervention, an allergic reaction to chicory root extract may be life-threatening.
TX - USA
DS - peanut, tree nut, milk, eggs, corn, soy, several meds, many environmentals. Finally back on Xolair!
DD - mystery anaphylaxis, shellfish.
DH - banana/avocado, aspirin.  Asthma.
Me - peanut, tree nut, shellfish, banana/avocado/latex,  some meds.

LinksEtc

Macabre

Interesting RC.  I will say that I have an aversion to chicory.  It has made my mouth feel like it's burning.  Also makes my tum feel funny.  But I hadn't associated those things with allergy (and it may not be--just may be what chicory does to me like cinnamon). 
Me: Sesame, shellfish, chamomile, sage
DS: Peanuts

SilverLining

I know....I'm on the express train to hell.

But when I saw the title of this news article

Hepatitis A warning for Toronto organic juice bar

The first thing that popped into my head was "It's OK. It's organic."

(You know? Like organic pb is safe?)

Quick Reply

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 365 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name:
Email:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image

Type the letters shown in the picture:
Spell the answer to 6 + 7 =:
Please spell spammer backwards:
Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview