Living with Food Allergies, 2013 and on

Started by ajasfolks2, February 03, 2013, 01:30:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LinksEtc

Dd's school has asked for my input as they struggle w/ school food policy & FA.  Will have to think about this ... I think I'll just gather some good info for them (suggestions welcome) ... not, not, not in the mood for other FA advocacy stuff or wading into cupcake war territory.  I really like our school nurse.

ninjaroll

CDC NSBA guidelines

It's comprehensive, well done and has credibility.

FARE-COPAA amicus brief

Same as above but describes needs in terms of access for FAPE but not preachy or aggressive.  At the end it mentions the all important return to unique needs by, for once, including that not all students affected by LTFA are in general education.

I'd cap it at two comprehensive, well written and credible sources. 

ninjaroll

A dear friend of mine made an unwise choice to give me the type of allergy 'advice' that would kill my kids in order to 'cure' them.  Not today, dear.  Not today.  Feeling salty as I did today I'd be surprised if she ever brings it up again. 

CMdeux

Resistance isn't futile.  It's voltage divided by current. 

Western U.S.

spacecanada

Trying to plan our next trip to America.  Allergy-aware airlines cost more than double that of super nutty practically hazardous ones. Boo. Time to look at other options.
ANA peanuts, tree nuts, wheat, potato, sorghum

Macabre

Yep.

It's always an issue. It's more of an issue for our family now that DS is on a school team that flies. When it's just our family, it's assumed we will not fly those airlines. We only pay attention to the prices of the other ones. But the school is looking for the least expensive one.
Me: Sesame, shellfish, chamomile, sage
DS: Peanuts

ajasfolks2

Back to squirrels.

You can always get a Hav a hart trap and trap and release them elsewhere.

My parents have done that for years.  HOWEVER you MUST not leave the trap set at night unless you want to catch a skunk.

;D
Is this where I blame iPhone and cuss like an old fighter pilot's wife?

**(&%@@&%$^%$#^%$#$*&      LOL!!   

Macabre

Oh goodness I wouldn't be able to catch all the squirrels. I think the population must be like 5 million. ;)

DS is fine with the squirrels doing this, because it means he doesn't mow. ~) the PA toddler next door--more of a problem for him.

CMdeux

I totally read that wrong.

I was seriously wondering why on earth your DS would meow to begin with-- and wouldn't having LOADS of squirrels around make it more likely, rather than less so??

:misspeak:   ;D

I also think that it's at least 5 gazillion squirrels, if I recall life in your neck of the woods correctly-- and I'm pretty sure that I do, since I remember fuming that my toddler couldn't safely play in the yard.  {sigh}

We fantasized rather openly about building a squirrel-catapult that last summer there. 

Resistance isn't futile.  It's voltage divided by current. 

Western U.S.

Macabre

Nothin' to do with FAs but funny:  when my mom lived with us (she did for a time) in our previous state, she said she had watched a baby squirrel all morning. She went on and on about the baby squirrel. The three of us finally realized it was a chipmunk. there are no chipmunks whee she came from. Prairie dogs, yes. Chipmunks, no. (Hey--I only saw black birds and brown birds growing up in the dessert. I saw pictures of cardinals and blue jays, but I wasn't oositive they actually existed. And squirrels weren't around either when I was growing up.)  "Baby squirrel" is a thing for the three of us. We think fondly of my mom when we exploit the term. It makes us chuckle. :)

I think we need to. Ask the neighbor to use sunflower seeds. We haven't met this neighbor yet. We have the dog barking neighbor, the loud music neighbor to the left of them. And the peanut neighbor to the left of them. It's the music one that bothers me the most actually.

spacecanada

It snowed yesterday.  A lot (knee-deep in some areas).  Neighbour down the street used bird seed with peanuts in it on their driveway instead of sand.  Right next to the community post box too.  Thankfully people here don't feed the squirrels.  Fingers crossed that bird seed guy will keep his peanut-seed in the bird feeder from now on.
ANA peanuts, tree nuts, wheat, potato, sorghum

LinksEtc

Well, dd had 2 tiny bites of shrimp without reaction today so good news.

She seems to have something against shrimp & did not want to eat any.

I bribed her.    :misspeak:    :hiding:

---

The walnut thing, however, is not consistent ... sometimes fine, sometimes slight mouth itch.
Happened once with grapes too.
I'm thinking this stuff is probably OAS.
That herbal tea rxn, though, my bet (FWIW) is on true allergy.
I always seem to play the "guess the diagnosis" game before appointments.

GoingNuts

I get itchy mouth from walnuts as well - OAS for me.  They're fine if they are well toasted, but raw or lightly baked?  Nope - itchy and tingly.  And red grapes make me itch as well, but not green.
"Speak out against the madness" - David Crosby
N.E. US

LinksEtc

Yeah, they were red grapes &

add expired graham crackers to the list.  What the *#%.

Quick Reply

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 365 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name:
Email:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image

Type the letters shown in the picture:
Please spell spammer backwards:
Three blonde, blue-eyed siblings are named Suzy, Jack and Bill.  What color hair does the sister have?:
Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview