Living with Food Allergies, 2013 and on

Started by ajasfolks2, February 03, 2013, 01:30:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MandCmama

DS2 is getting closer to his baked egg challenge.  Originally our allergist didn't want to do it for that very reason- it's hard to know how much egg is in something, how well it's cooked, etc etc.  She basically doesn't want us getting too comfy.  DS2 is starting pre K in august, so she wants to see where we stand.  I just know he's going to fail.  It would be glorious if he passed.  But I know he's going to fail.

What is generally the procedure for a fail?  This office is NOT in a hospital, though close to several.  Will they call 911 and transport do you think?
Pennsylvania, USA
DS#1 (Born 11/2006)- allergic to peanuts and tree nuts
DS#2 (Born 3/2009)- allergic to egg, peanuts, and tree nuts (and Penicillin as of '18)

CMdeux

Oh, we definitely still avoid.

But we don't do some of the avoidance that we once found necessary-- that is, now she can eat in restaurants, or stuff that is made in a facility with egg, or made on shared/cleaned lines.  She can get some vaccinations that were off limits before.

That kind of thing has been life-altering.  It's an insurance policy against low-level XC, basically.  In our experience, that has TOTALLY been worth it.

We're not deluding ourselves that we can actually eliminate her allergy, though.  I seriously doubt that is going to happen.
Resistance isn't futile.  It's voltage divided by current. 

Western U.S.

LinksEtc

MandCmama, different offices seem to have somewhat different procedures and protocols for the challenges.  I would think for a major reaction, 911 would probably be called, but I'd suggest asking the allergist what to expect beforehand.  A lot of times the fail symptoms are relatively minor since they start out with such small doses and the patient is then kept a while for observation.

Good luck!

CMdeux

Living with food allergies means...

KNOWING that any e-mail entitled

"Limited Time Offer: WEN Summer Mango Coconut" from Wen Hair Care...

has to be spam.  By definition.    :P

Western U.S.

TabiCat

We received a gift card to one of those Japanese Stake houses as a "parting gift" from our small group bible study. DHleaves to starting new job next week so he and I made a date night of it tonight.

The first thing chef said to the table after good evening was. " Do we have any food aallergies tonight?" I listened in to the next table and the same.

We are making headway I think.
Ds - Peanut and Tree nut and a  host of enviro

Texas

twinturbo

The ultimate paradox occurs when I run into someone who full on anaphylaxes to tree nuts isn't sure if she's allergic to nuts right after someone who thinks she's "allergic" to gluten unless it's organic, non-GMO gluten then it's wholesome.

The next person to use the term gluten freedom to me better duck--fast.

CMdeux

LOL.  There's a lot of that out here, I'm afraid.

You're now living in the food allergy version of Willy Wonka's factory, for whatever it's worth.  Reality is merely one of... er... many apparent life-choices for the residents.   It's Choose-Your-Own-Adventure, the Special Diet edition.

:hiding:

Western U.S.

TabiCat

oh TT when did you start hanging out with my sister.

"Allergic" to soy, and dairy+ gluten intolerant ALL SELF DIAGNOSED. But wait she can tolerate non-GMO soy and dairy from Jersey cows because the protein is different. Scary is that she gets her info online would makes me really worried for newbies out there dealing with dairy or soy allergies.    :hiding:
Ds - Peanut and Tree nut and a  host of enviro

Texas

YouKnowWho

Just to add to an already fun day, I had to drag my introverted self to a birthday party for one of DS2's classmates.  And all in all, it wasn't that bad  ;D

DS2 basically refused all food but the watermelon cut at our local grocery store (confident in how they handle things) and water to drink.  It took everything I had to drag him to drink and eat because there was a ginormous bounce house complete with slide. 

It's time for the birthday cake and I do my usual - grab a paper plate from the bottom of the pile and add his cupcakes to it.  The party was comprised of family, kids from class and kids from the neighborhood.  Another little boy asked DS2 why he had his own cupcakes.  DS2's mouth was full and he was trying to chew (mommy high five for waiting until his mouth was clear) when another child from his class mentioned he was allergic to peanuts so he didn't eat birthday cake at parties.

At that point, the little boy was being handed his slice of cookie cake and he asked if it had peanuts in it to the dad who was serving it.  He said he didn't know and asked if he had allergies.  The little boy said "I don't want to eat it if it has peanuts in it because it will make DS2 allergic."  I thanked him and told him it was okay to eat the cake, DS2 had his safe treat and that DS2 wouldn't have an issue unless he ate the cake.  This little boy was the only one at the table to finish the cake, icing and all and got up to throw his plate away and went inside.  Came out and said "Okay DS2,  I washed my hands - we can go play again!" 

I started getting all sniffly.  I went over and half hugged the little boy and said thank you for keeping him safe.  Turns out this little boy is actually in Target with DS1 and has asked not to have his bread on sandwhiches so he can sit near DS1 because he knows he is allergic.  What a gem!

Such a different story after reading countless replies about how it's someone's Constitutional right to serve PB and allergic parents need to suck it  (avoid Cafe Mom at all costs).
DS1 - Wheat, rye, barley and egg
DS2 - peanuts
DD -  tree nuts, soy and sunflower
Me - bananas, eggplant, many drugs
Southeast USA

Macabre

Oh wow. I got teary, too. That is heart warming. Thank you for sharing.
Me: Sesame, shellfish, chamomile, sage
DS: Peanuts

SilverLining

That is so sweet.  I'm glad your kids have such a wonderful friend. :)

CMdeux

Awwww... <sniff-sniff>

What a keeper that little gentleman is.   :smooch:

Western U.S.

GoingNuts

Amusing conversation with DS tonight as I reminded him to order a new MedicAlert bracelet.  He was complaining about not wanting to wear something on his wrist, and then he said that if he had to wear one he wanted it to be solid gold.

He then elaborated that he thought it should be "iced out" like a rapper's bracelet, with his allergens spelled out in tiny diamonds.  :rofl:

I suggested that he write to them and suggest a Limited Edition medic Alert Bling collection.  ;D
"Speak out against the madness" - David Crosby
N.E. US

Macabre

Me: Sesame, shellfish, chamomile, sage
DS: Peanuts

SilverLining

GoingNuts, my son went through that too.  He ended up getting himself a copper one.  Helps with the knees, and he likes the look more.

Quick Reply

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 365 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name:
Email:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image

Type the letters shown in the picture:
Spell the answer to 6 + 7 =:
Three blonde, blue-eyed siblings are named Suzy, Jack and Bill.  What color hair does the sister have?:
Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview