Living with Food Allergies, 2013 and on

Started by ajasfolks2, February 03, 2013, 01:30:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LinksEtc

Speaking as a FA & GI mom, I hope it turns out to be a virus or strep.   :-/

YouKnowWho

Quote from: LinksEtc on September 18, 2014, 08:46:28 AM
LOL  ;D about Dr. Dinosaur.

Yes well, I avoided this man at all costs.  He was DS1's initial ped who told me kids don't get food allergies until the age of 2.  Mind you he was failure to thrive, constantly covered in a rash or eczema and I was EBF.  (He was also anti-EBF because DH couldn't participate).  When DS1 was diagnosed, he still didn't believe it.  When DS1 had his first ana rxn - he told me that I was overreacting (despite showing him paperwork from ER).  I stopped seeing him unless desperate after that - unfortunately that means he is in the rotation during sick visits if my ped is not available.
DS1 - Wheat, rye, barley and egg
DS2 - peanuts
DD -  tree nuts, soy and sunflower
Me - bananas, eggplant, many drugs
Southeast USA

MaryM

DS gets strep at least 2x a year.  Very rarely does he have a sore throat.  For him it's usually a headache and yucky breathe.  Last time we went to dr he said it didn't look like strep and came back with the results of he test and said something like mom knows best, it was strep.  Dd only had it once and she threw up on my dry clean only comforter.

SilverLining

I love candy Kisses.  The Halloween candy made with molasses.

For years I couldn't eat them because they all had a peanut warning. (And actually, smelled like peanutbutter to me.). Several years ago I found safe ones.  I would stock up when the showed up in the dollar store....and eat them all and be out of them again.

But, for the last two years....I can't find safe ones.

I hate being teased. :(

Macabre

Oh I know. I I felt that way about the Hershey's things that were like m&ms but shaped  like kisses. I forget what they're called  they even had a vehicle shaped like the candy. It was a great option but poof was  gone.

I was thinking about them yesterday.

Kissables. I think that's what they were called.

It's hard for a kid to have something and then boom it's gone. I wanted to strangle Hershey's.
Me: Sesame, shellfish, chamomile, sage
DS: Peanuts

becca

Do you all like Skippers, McC?  I can get them locally and well, the fairy still owes you a favor.  ;) 
dd with peanut, tree nut and raw egg allergy

LinksEtc

Quote from: CMdeux on September 17, 2014, 11:16:59 AM
Popping hives and sniffling when an additional egg exposure was attempted (when we could finally get her asthma into the green zone at least with meds, I mean), though-- that indicates to me that egg is at least part of this larger picture.

Just wondering how things are going with the egg & with the asthma?  How are you holding up?   

:grouphug:

CMdeux

In the process of getting the cat a new home, and DD is still doing inhaled steroids twice daily along with albuterol. 

I'm afraid that we've destabilized her asthma.   :pout:

Resistance isn't futile.  It's voltage divided by current. 

Western U.S.

LinksEtc

:disappointed:

:heart:

Why do things always have to be so difficult & complicated?  To go from the high of "passing" to this ... ugh.  I'm sorry.  Hugs to you & Sky.

LinksEtc

DD is still having vague (relatively minor) stomach ache issues.    :pout:   

Please, please, just resolve.

GingerPye

DS had an allergic reaction at school yesterday during lunch.  He takes his lunch; I had packed a kind of potato chip from the health food section, so not a big name brand.  The label reads safe, and he's had it 5 or 6 times with no problem. 
Yesterday, problem.  He said he started feeling throat stuff as he was eating the chips --- a burning feeling; then feeling faint and breaking out in a cold sweat.  He got his epipen out and had it sitting on the table, thinking the feeling would go away.  He said after about 10 min when it didn't go away and seemed to be getting worse, he went to the nurse's office.  She used the epi and Zyrtec (our allergist prefers Zyrtec over Benadryl), called 911, and called me.  I raced over. 

He was sitting in the nurse's office, looking okay -- he said the epi started working right away and he felt a lot better.  Ambulance took him to ER for follow-up. 
Dr at ER looked him over and said he was fine and we could go home, and to watch him.  I was a little surprised -- we had only been there about 1.5 hrs. 

Today, he can't seem to get himself out of bed.  He's exhausted.  The epinephrine really did a number on him. 

I need to talk to him about not waiting and also about not walking by himself to the nurse's office during a reaction, but that will come later.  It's been a battle to get him to take his epipens every day lately -- he only takes one --- so I'm glad he at least had one epi with him.
DD, 25 - MA/EA/PA/env./eczema/asthma
DS, 22 - MA/EA/PA/env.
DH - adult-onset asthma
me - env. allergies, exhaustion, & mental collapse ...

hezzier

becca

Wow, GP, scary!  I hope he feels ok today.  Maybe this will change his epi carrying behavior.  What kind of chips were they, so we all know to avoid them?   :grouphug:
dd with peanut, tree nut and raw egg allergy

GingerPye

It's a regional company. I will be calling the company today.
DD, 25 - MA/EA/PA/env./eczema/asthma
DS, 22 - MA/EA/PA/env.
DH - adult-onset asthma
me - env. allergies, exhaustion, & mental collapse ...

Quick Reply

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 365 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name:
Email:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image

Type the letters shown in the picture:
Three blonde, blue-eyed siblings are named Suzy, Jack and Bill.  What color hair does the sister have?:
Please spell spammer backwards:
Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview